Forum Index > Trail Talk > I can't believe how much I love (cross country) skiing!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm 
Yeah, and sometimes the Loup Loup trails will have good snow, because they are at 4000 ft, when snow is sparse in the Methow Valley.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 11:03 am 
For the Mazama -> Winthrop MCT trip, would it be a great tragedy to take the Goat Wall trail early on, and then Goat Creek Cutoff to connect to the MCT? (Cutoff is a fun trail!) I'm only going to do this once.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am 
Certainly not a tragedy, it would just make your trip even more difficult than it already is. If you have the stamina, go for it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 pm 
I’ve had a few ~15 mile days this winter. smile.gif Last year, I did a ski from Crystal Springs to Hyak and back, about 18 miles total. I had skied the same number of miles in a day before, at Cabin Creek, so I didn’t expect much difficulty. But I learned that day that skiing on flat ground is actually harder than on rolling hills. I think what’s going on is if I’m not trying to break my time record on a trail, I level the hills (slow down going up so it’s the same effort as flat ground) then rest on the way down. Flat is a constant grind. Which means the MCT will be very hard. The Goat Creek Cuttoff would add some scenery and fun, also a little bit of hill. We go to Winthrop every year for my birthday, in December, and there won’t be a shuttle next year. agree.gif I’m going to save your Rendezvous Loop for next December and do the MCT traverse this month. The good thing about hard is I'll feel like I accomplished something.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm 
There won't be a shuttle next year? They are eliminating it?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 12:48 pm 
Sorry, I didn't say that clearly at all! The shuttle runs Jan and Feb. (Next year too!) I'll be out next December to celebrate my birthday on skis. I won't be able to do the MCT then because the shuttle won't be running yet. I'd love to leave my car at Cub Creek and get dropped off in Mazama, but probably won't be able to arrange a ride. So, the loop you suggested going up Cub Creek into the Rendezvous system and then back out, that's something I can look forward to on Dec 21, 2018.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 pm 
Oh, gotcha. Snow can still be iffy in December, but you have good odds in the Rendezvous area. I hear you about skiing on the flat. I find the hills only help though if the downhills are in big chunks so I can really coast.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm 
Has anyone owned or tried the new classic nordic skis with artificial "skin"? Any thoughts such as brand preference? I'm (over)due for new gear and thinking of going this route.