Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hog Ranch Buttes (Yakima) Jan 30, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 am 
I never though I'd spend the day hiking on a military base but I've been looking at these summits for the past year from other nearby points. Seeking something new in the area I thought I'd give them a try. I entered via the main gate of The Yakima Training Center outside of Selah and checked in for the day. It turns out the security guy was a hiker too and was interested in my plans. I had to show my driver's license, insurance card and registration before being sent to the gym to purchase a recreation card. This costs 10 dollars and is valid until March 31 each year. A nifty topo map of the area is provided as well. A high vis vest is mandatory while hiking. After that I went back to the main gate to find out whether the area I was interested in was open or not. Fortunately it was and I was off for Hog Ranch Butte, the highest point on the base and #14 of a list of 18 peaks in Wa State with 25 miles of isolation. I drove Firing Center Rd, staying right (south) at a T, 20 miles until seeing a sign for "Hog Ranch Butte" on the north side of road. This road goes all the way to the top but I parked at about 3000' in order to get some exercise. From here I walked the road up about 2.5 miles and did a bit of cross country to get some views down to the Columbia River.
Hog Ranch Buttes on the drive in.
Hog Ranch Buttes on the drive in.
I parked at about 3000' to get some exercise but a road goes to the top.
I parked at about 3000' to get some exercise but a road goes to the top.
Hog Ranch Butte summit in view.
Hog Ranch Butte summit in view.
Some basalt scarps near the summit.
Some basalt scarps near the summit.
The Columbia River.
The Columbia River.
Eastern Umtanum Ridge.
Eastern Umtanum Ridge.
Nearing Hog Ranch Butte.
Nearing Hog Ranch Butte.
On the summit there are some structures including a "warm-up shelter" but all looked abandoned.
Some abandoned looking structures on the summit.
Some abandoned looking structures on the summit.
The accommodations.
The accommodations.
Summit of Hog Ranch Butte, 4216.' It must have been a bit higher before being bulldozed.
Summit of Hog Ranch Butte, 4216.' It must have been a bit higher before being bulldozed.
Looking northeast from the summit.
Looking northeast from the summit.
I continued out to the western butte called "Boar Peak" along the road for a double header. The wind really picked up on the second summit and it was difficult to remain standing. Needles to say, I didn't spend much time here.
Boar Peak from Hog Ranch Butte.
Boar Peak from Hog Ranch Butte.
Boar Pk.
Boar Pk.
Looking west from Boar Peak.
Looking west from Boar Peak.
Hog Ranch Butte from Boar Pk.
Hog Ranch Butte from Boar Pk.
I returned the way I came and got back to the car just before sunset. The moon wasn't yet super but it sure looked big anyway.
Looking back up to Hog Ranch on the way back to the car.
Looking back up to Hog Ranch on the way back to the car.
About 20 miles from the main gate.
About 20 miles from the main gate.
10 miles and 2500' gain. https://militarybases.com/washington/yakima-training-center/
Quote:
Public Access The Yakima Training Center is crossed by John Wayne Pioneer Trail which follows the now empty roadbed of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. The former railroad trail covers 300 miles across two thirds of Washington State spanning from the Cascade Mountains to the border of Idaho and is used as a non–motorized recreational trail. A 20 mile section of the roadbed going east from Kittitas to the Columbia River has been developed and is managed as part of Iron Horse State Park, crossing into the Yakima Training Center. In addition to hiking the base allows hunting and fishing on the training grounds when range control has taken them out of a “hot” (live fire) status. More information of public access, outdoor recreation, hunting and fishing can be found by contacting the MWR office of the base at 509-577-3208.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am 
RichP wrote:
I never though I'd spend the day hiking on a military base but I've been looking at these summits for the past year from other nearby points. Seeking something new in the area I thought I'd give them a try.
Such resourcefulness. Well done. up.gif Lots of interesting terrain in the YFC. ~z

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 am 
zephyr wrote:
Lots of interesting terrain in the YFC.
There really is. It's popular with hunters but I think hikers shy away because of the potential for big booms in the area. It was surprisingly quiet during my hike and the wind was the loudest sound I heard. I'm sure there are days when it might get unnerving though. I'm already planning to go back for a couple more hikes.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 6:16 pm 
good info and thanks for another reason to send me over to the eastside for a winter trip up.gif

Eric Eames
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
good info and thanks for another reason to send me over to the eastside for a winter trip up.gif
There are a couple more high points across the valley on Yakima Ridge that I thought I could do but didn't have time. I bet you could hit all of these peaks in one short outing. The drive is the crux. biggrin.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm 
Interesting destination! No snow? Did you see any on Umtanum or Manastash ridges?

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
RichP

RichP
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
No snow? Did you see any on Umtanum or Manastash ridges?
No snow anywhere out there but lots of mud. These peaks are actually on Umtanum Ridge as well. It's a long one!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 6:37 pm 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 8:18 pm 
I'm glad you figured out hot to get in there. You were sure interested looking that way from Whiskey Dick. And still no snow -- I guess it really is a desert. You have a nose for sunshine, too.