Forum Index > Trail Talk > Polish Team's K2 attempt updates?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm 
Do any of you know where I can follow the Polish team's K2 attempt happening now? All I can find are articles about the expedition but nothing with updates as they go. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 pm 
You can try the linked website. I think it is the Polish Winter Expedition website. Link It is a google translation to English. Scroll down and on the right they have news from the trip journal.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 pm 
Thanks for bringing this up. I had no idea about it and will be following their progress.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 am 
"The Adventure Blog" is posting updates on both the Polish K2 attempt and Alex Txikon's attempt on no-oxygen Everest. This morning's update is here: http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2018/01/winter-climbs-2018-teams-reach-camp-1.html

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm 
These links are great. Thank you!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jan 27, 2018 12:41 am 
Latest report: January 26, 2018 "We received information from France yesterday at night. Elisabeth Revol and Tomasz Mackiewicz are stuck at an altitude of approx. 7,400 m under the Nanga Parbat peak dome. After spending the night at this altitude, they attempted to go lower. Message from before, received from France: At the moment, they are still at a height of about 7,400 m in anticipation of help. A rescue operation was organized, coordinated by the Embassies of France and Poland. The coordinating team is also Robert Szymczak - alpine physician, climber. Base for K2 has been notified about the situation. The decision was made: 4 expedition mountaineers (equipped with rescue equipment and oxygen) are waiting for information on the helicopter (flight possibilities) to move from the K2 base to the rescue operation at Nanga Parbat. We will inform you about the next steps.". Janusz Majer

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 am 
Tragedy on Nanga Parbat: Tomasz Mackiewicz pronounced deceased. frown.gif Elisabeth Revol - after a heroic rescue by the Polish climbers, particularly Denis Urubko and Adam Bielecki, who abandoned their own attempt on K2 (at least for now), and got to her - being treated for frostbite but will survive.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am 
That's sad. smile.gif I just finished the book by Ed Viesturs about his quest to climb all 14 8,000 K mountains. What an amazing story of dedication, skill, determination,courage,conditioning, (both physically and mentally) help from his sponsors and climbing partners, with a measure of luck thrown in as well. He lost several partners along the way as well, but none while climbing with him. Imho, you have to be a bit crazy as well.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:32 pm 
BBC article about survivor. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42909586

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm 
Looks like the K2 team that left for the Nanga Parbat rescue is back on K2. However, they and the Everest team are both currently facing high winds: Feb 3 update.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 am 
That is just beyond awesome. Doesn't sound like they had any doubts what the right thing to do was. Good on those guys. I hope the weather changes for the better. I think they deserve a pass. I don't really follow high alpine climbing, other then keeping tabs on the pols. Can't really gather why they excel.its not like Poland is Siberia, and the mountains aren't huge there.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 am 
ale_capone wrote:
That is just beyond awesome. Doesn't sound like they had any doubts what the right thing to do was. Good on those guys. I hope the weather changes for the better. I think they deserve a pass. I don't really follow high alpine climbing, other then keeping tabs on the pols. Can't really gather why they excel.its not like Poland is Siberia, and the mountains aren't huge there.
The Tatras are big enough and they get pretty serious in winter. In the same that winter climbing in the North Cascades, the Tetons, on Rainier, etc have prepared many American alpinists for climbing in the greater ranges, winter climbing in the Tatras has done the same for the Poles and Slovenians. The book Freedom Climbers has more on the history of Polish mountaineering.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 pm 
Documentary on the cadre of world class alpinists from the 80's and 90's - downloaded from Amazon Prime, I assume it is still there:
and https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jerzy+kukuczka+documentary&view=detail&mid=0D7DFD5E4287FFBF118F0D7DFD5E4287FFBF118F&FORM=VIRE

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:13 pm 
Looks like both the Everest and K2 attempts have been called off.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm 
Not surprising. K2 is likely the spot that can actually claim "the worst weather in the world". Given that a summer ascent is already of questionable sanity...