Forum Index > Gear Talk > Wool Hiking Pants - Advice Needed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Mar 15, 2015 6:55 am 
I have a pair of Ibex wool/spandex pants with a built in gaiter that I use for winter. Best pants I've ever used. Unfortunately they've been discontinued.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Mar 20, 2015 12:46 pm 
They may be heavier than you want, but LL Bean sells some washable wool whipcord pants. Mine fit well, and they are durable, but for me they are too hot to hike in most of the year. I also have a couple pair of Icebreaker Tracer Pants. They are comfortable over a much broader temperature range, but aren't very durable. I got a couple small tears in one pair the first time I hiked in them. Back in the day, Harvey Manning and the other hiking gurus suggested wool suit pants from Goodwill...

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 4:09 pm 
Way back when I started climbing in army surplus cargo wool pants. Also leather boots and crapoons with neopream straps. And a ice ax as long as a pole but it was not wood. Extrernal frame pack woollen mittens and hat. I looked like one of those corny dawnings from Freedom of the Hills.o I guess this thread is talking about a light weigght blend?

thomas88
Thomas

thomas88
Thomas
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 am 
I've tried out a few different merino wool pants for hiking and outdoors. Most of them are a blend of a synthetic fiber along with wool to give additional durability. Personally, I'm really enjoying the makers and riders pants at the moment. You can see a few reviews on merino wool pants here, including some pants from Ibex, which is sadly going out of business (but might mean you can pick up some bargains).