Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:37 am 
I watched "Only the Brave" tonight, about the Granite Mountain Hotshots. Really really good. Strong acting performances across the board. Gut wrenching, but I pretty much knew that before I started. I sometimes have a hard time watching based on true story tragedies, but I'm glad I did. Very well crafted and it seems a fitting tribute honoring the men in the hotshot unit and the families they left behind.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
If you're a fan of movies that don't hold your hand and will mess with your head a bit, I would recommend The Frame.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Toni wrote:
up.gif up.gif Dark comedy, grim but I loved it!
Thanks for the recommendation. I just saw it with my wife. What a great film! up.gif Also, superb acting from almost everyone. My favorite line from the movie: “I read it on a bookmark. In a book. About polio. Or was it polo...?”
I just saw this a couple weeks ago and was also impressed. Found myself laughing and wondering if I really should be. The hallmark of a great black comedy. Also watched "Wind River." Another very dark and very powerful movie but definitely NOT humorous. I would say these are two of the best movies I've seen in awhile. Have yet to see The Last Jedi. Guess I'm going to wait 'til it's available for streaming or on DVD. Honestly, all I want from Star Wars movies is to be entertained. The original trilogy, way back when, blew my mind as a young boy but yeah, they're not cinematic masterpieces or anything. Still, I can watch them and be entertained. The Force Awakens also entertained me, despite it being a rehash. If this movie can entertain me I'll consider it a success.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
If you're a fan of movies that don't hold your hand and will mess with your head a bit, I would recommend The Frame.
Hadn't heard of this and I love sci-fi. Guess I'll have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm 
I watched this over the last couple of evenings. I got it from the library. This 2013 documentary of Gore Vidal’s life and work is excellent for anyone interested in American intellectual history. Vidal lived three-quarters of the 20th century and 12 years into the 21st interacting with many different writers, thinkers, and artists. So there are many cameos of other interesting people throughout the film. (Wikipedia article on Gore Vidal here.) I recently read his historical novel about the Roman emperor Julian. ~z

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Mud bound was excellent and available on Netflix now. up.gif up.gif
We watched last night, agreed.
YES! Watched it last week. I looked it up on-line and amazingly it enjoyed only a very limited box office run with little $ returns, until Netflix bought it. Makes me wonder how many good films suffer a similar fate.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 pm 
Watched "Wonder." I was a bit worried it might be emotionally manipulative or melodramatic. If it was guilty of either, I didn't mind. Very enjoyable, heartfelt, well crafted film. While I knew the basic premise about a boy w/ severe facial disfigurement going to public school for the first time as a 5th grader, there was much more to it. The boy, Auggie, was the central character, but the film managed to let you get to know several other characters and see some of their journey in life. All the characters were well portrayed. His parents, older sister, and several of the classmates and friends of both Auggie and his sister. The film packed a lot into its run time. Among many things I appreciated about the film, some of the teenagers were actually played by teen actors. It's refreshing. It happens so rarely in Hollywood. Usually you have actors in their early to mid, sometimes even late 20's portraying high schoolers. I also thought Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson were good as Auggie's parents.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm 
Finally saw "Blade Runner 2049." Wow. Definitely long, and a bit slow paced at times, but I found it very satisfying. Intriguing story, the visuals were amazing. Ford and Gosling were good of course, solid performances from the rest of the cast as well. Definitely worth a watch.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Hadn't heard of this and I love sci-fi. Guess I'll have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!
This team also produced Ink about ten years ago, worth a watch

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
This team also produced Ink about ten years ago, worth a watch
up.gif Yes! Low budget and production values aren't great, but a very compelling story.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm 
Duh...an atrocious fizzle of a movie. I'd rather watch one of Lucas's sucky prequels than Last Jedi again. ‘The Last Jedi’ Loses Sales Momentum, Raising Concern for Disney

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gb

gb
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm 
Darkest Hour is a terrific movie with great acting. The movie is very tense in the drama of the early part of the war with the Nazi's. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 pm 
If you like films there is a deal at Costco now where you can get a years Movir Pass and a years wort of Fandor for a hundred clams. If you do not know the Movie Passallows you to watch as much as one 2d film a day at a theater for $10 a month. Fandor is kind of a Netflix for indie films.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:33 pm 
Really looking forward to this, the book was incredible...

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm 
Black Panther: An adventure / James Bond / superhero film, in that order, rolled into a fun, fun package. I thought it was highly entertaining. There's a car chase scene in there that's particularly exhilarating.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani