Forum Index > Trip Reports > Muncaster Basin via Rustler Creek, ONP, Sept 10-15, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gary-n-Jan

Gary-n-Jan
PostSun Oct 02, 2011 10:28 pm 
Interesting comparison Mark, definitely looks like we both traveled down the same gulley. We did not find any evidence of an old trail, or your ice axe at the bottom though. shakehead.gif However, a couple years ago a mutual friend did a spring snowshoe hike into 7 lakes basin. He dropped his ice axe along the traverse from Deer Lake to Round Lake. A week later Jan, Jeff and I ski toured the same route and guess what we found .....................
Typical terrain on the way to the col. This picture shows me holding our friend's ice axe. He lost it the previous weekend, we were lucky enough to find it and return it to him.
Typical terrain on the way to the col. This picture shows me holding our friend's ice axe. He lost it the previous weekend, we were lucky enough to find it and return it to him.
Gary

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSat Dec 03, 2011 12:05 pm 
Gary-n-Jan wrote:
We climbed to the summit climber's left of the Col. The views from here were fantastic! This picture is looking west towards the Elwha Snowfinger
We climbed to the summit climber's left of the Col. The views from here were fantastic! This picture is looking west towards the Elwha Snowfinger
Hey! I recognize this view. Nice place to camp. 9/5/11
Gary-n-Jan wrote:
Enjoying a shady break at upper Martins Lake. (Photo: Jeff)
Enjoying a shady break at upper Martins Lake. (Photo: Jeff)
and adjacent terrain.
Just in case you were wondering the posts in this picture were for my tent. I wanted to take my trekking poles with me on my climb of Mt Christie so I improvised. Great trip! I recognize the meadows that you passed through as you headed down to the Rustler.

Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSat Dec 03, 2011 1:49 pm 
It was actually a real axe, not an ice axe. I dont recall ever using and ice axe... But I've certainly chopped a lot of wood with an axe! Mark

Brian R

Brian R
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
Wow, just saw this incredible trip! I've completed several Olympic high traverses over the decades--but have not been to Muncaster Basin. (As I'm new here, and this is my first post, I'll make a point to share these trips as I figure out the site.) Now inspired by your trip, a friend and I are looking at repeating your loop and I am hoping you can answer a couple of questions. First, did you drop into Rustler Creek by choice or necessity? I'm wondering if you believe there may be a route over the top of Mount Delebarre and down to the col between Godkin and Rustler Creeks instead? If so, in your opinion would it be any more or less expeditious than the route you traveled? Second, would you repeat this loop in the same direction you did it? e.g. clockwise and down Fire Creek instead of up? Many thanks in advance for any info you are able/willing to provide. FWIW, our "other option" for this summer's annual traverse is a crossing of Baranof Island in Alaska from Sitka to Warm Springs. Either way, I'll post the report. Brian