Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Hood 2/10/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 4:17 pm 
After several winters looking for a perfect weather window for a Saturday, low avy conditions, and available time, I finally took off down South for Mt Hood Friday evening. I arrived at the Timberline parking lot just before midnight and tried to get a couple hours of sleep in my small truck. It was pretty cold so I was getting things ready before my alarm went off. I started hiking up the frozen slopes around 3:15am. I put my snowshoes on but didn't really need them, I wished I hadn't even brought them, crampons were the best way to go for the whole trip. The tame slopes of the Palmer glacier were easy in the dark as many other people were already on the mountain with a string of headlamps visible. When hiking in the dark, my other senses kicked in- I enjoyed the sounds of the ice breaking off as I stepped, kinda sounded like an xylophone, also the smell of sulpher from the volcano was strong at times. Before starting the traverse over towards the Devils kitchen, I switched to crampons as I could hear small streams of ice running down the slopes from other climbers ahead. I reached Hogsback where I put on my 2nd puffy jacket and observed 2 parties going 2 different ways. The wind was cold and the upper slopes were almost solid ice. So, I chose to veer off to the left and go to the Old Chute route as the horizon was finally starting to brighten. As I passed the other group, I realized that I should probably get my 2nd ice ax out. This last second decision to bring it would be the difference of continuing or turning back. I was very happy to have it with me!
a group trying to head up to the Pearly Gates route
a group trying to head up to the Pearly Gates route
Crater rock
Crater rock
There was no kicking steps, it was front pointing with 2 axes penetrating minimally into the icy slope. As I got higher, the icy foot sized ice blocks reminded me of boulder hopping, it was some very strange ice formations up there. Also, I heard some yelling down below as someone slid a couple hundred feet and wasn't able to arrest due to the conditions. Luckily, he had a good runout beneath.
the icy Old chute
the icy Old chute
I reached the ridge to views to the North, I could see Saint Helens, Rainier and Adams above the clouds.
view to the North, Saint Helens
view to the North, Saint Helens
I traversed the ridge over to the summit in time to see Mt Hood's shadow in the distance. I took some pics and wondered if I'd see anyone make it up from the Pearly Gates. After a while, no one came and I headed back down the route I came up.
Mt Hood's shadow from the summit
Mt Hood's shadow from the summit
great being above the clouds
great being above the clouds
sure glad I had 2 of these on this trip
sure glad I had 2 of these on this trip
a pic of the icy conditions
a pic of the icy conditions
On my way down, I took my time and even had to face in and front point being careful not to take a long slide. I talked with a couple guys below Hogsback and they said that everyone they talked to turned around on the Pearly Gates due to the icy conditions.
steam coming up near Crater Rock
steam coming up near Crater Rock
heading back down
heading back down
looking back up at the upper mountain
looking back up at the upper mountain
I had hoped the slopes would have softened up a bit on the way down but they didn't. No plunge stepping and the crampons stayed on all the way to the parking lot. I got back a little after 10am and then went into the lodge for lunch.
Mt Hood
Mt Hood
One of the other reasons for being able to head down there this weekend was that I promised Jayden that I'd get him another lift ticket for his birthday last week. So, Rose, Sahale, Jayden and a couple of his buddies met me in the parking lot and they enjoyed riding the slopes. I played with Sahale for a little while in the snow before hanging around the lodge again while the boys were boarding.
Sahale and Hood
Sahale and Hood
It was a fun icy peak. 7.5 miles 5500' elevation gain 7 hrs

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 pm 
I like how you are working the family into some of your outings. I need to do more of that myself.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm 
Congrats on the summit. Hood is one of my favorites and I think my most frequently climbed mountain after Mailbox. Conditions look spicy. Last year around this time I skied from the Hogsback to the car in pristine powder. This year has been terrible.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 10:34 pm 
up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
heading back down
heading back down
Some great shots; especially this one. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am 
Good for the family!

Art is an adventure.