Forum Index > Gear Talk > Is a 35L pack a good choice for overnighters?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:06 pm 
Im lookin a gettin a new pack but dont wanna go any bigger than i must. I pack pretty light and will probably have no tent. I will have all other gear, crampons, bivy sack, sleeping bag, axe, etc.. I wanna be able to be out for a few days here and there as well. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks fellow travelers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm 
You can go a long way(more than a week of food plus gear) on a 35L pack if you pack light. To some of the really crazy ultralight folks, 35L is huge and could probably support a couple weeks. For a heavy winter outing with big down bags and ropes and such... I'd want bigger, but for summer 35L is great. For light winter trips of a couple days in relatively nice weather 35L works fine too.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm 
bear canister will take up space in your pack if the area you are hiking requires it. I pack a puffy jacket/rain gear regardless of season. I've been in the mountains in the summer and gets downright cold at night and those surprise thunderstorms, well.... unsure what kind of food you carry so ... if you know someone who owns a 35L, borrow it, put your stuff in and see if indeed it's a good enough size. maybe bring your gear to REI and stuff it in the pack. that should be a good gauge, ha

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm 
I like a bigger pack myself or you risk a yardsale amount of stuff hanging off the outside, if you need to use it in winter or to pack extra gear for a climbing trip that requires extra gear, into the pickets 4 days+. I like a 50L myself but I do tend to carry some extra stuff. For light weight pads I find it a must to have side straps so that I can put on a closed cell foam pad up along the outside side of the pack. If you never need much of the climbing kind of gear then you probably can do fine with 35L with the most lightest compact gear. In summer and not going too high up. I do really well with weight/bulk until paranoia sets in and I put in a small rope, pro, harness etc. Usually about 25lbs including full bladder of water until that extra stuff goes in. Having a too small pack is about as good as having a too small car with a hamburger on top carrying stuff all the time. That hamburger really cuts the gas mileage down. wink.gif As I get older I like the packs with adjustable frames better, sure helps with the +/- 30lb loads. If I can keep around 20 lb then no frame is fine for me. But usually I go over.... Bigger pack, everything goes inside, bigger pack a little more weight for the pack but not much more. Bigger pack with compression straps really no bigger than a little bit smaller pack. Bigger pack can carry more stuff, that can be good or bad, depending... Small pack with a lot of stuff hanging outside,,, not good.... An aside. It happens sometimes you need to help partner carry stuff. Usually when this happens, you pile it up on the outside... BF or GF not into hiking like you are, or a injury, sickness etc.

dla

dla
PostTue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm 
35L is pretty small. Might work for a very experienced hiker who has invested in a high-end bag & bivy and/or small tarp. Very minimal pad.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 am 
35L should be fine for most good weather summer overnight trips. How big is your other pack? If it's bigger you could always use it for backup. Like others said, going slightly larger on a pack with compression straps isn't a bad idea either. It will probably only add a few ounces to overall weight and gives you the flexibility to pack more when needed.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 am 
awilsondc wrote:
35L should be fine for most good weather summer overnight trips. How big is your other pack?
Yeah my other pack is a 35L as well, its just gettin worn. I never had it packed completely, but i never did any overnighters either. I think another 35L should be alright. Thanks y'all for the help!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Feb 14, 2018 4:14 pm 
For single overnights or multiday I tend to prefer something more in the 45-50 liter range. Having a bit more space to carry food and that without cramming it all in is a benefit with very little weight hit. I have a 37 liter pack that I use for day hiking. I don't need the space, but it was really the only pack that fit me well (tall). Could I use it for a single overnight during summer, yes. But it wouldn't be my first choice. My gear is fairly light weight, but not silly light. I've posted the entire list previously.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau