Forum Index > Gear Talk > Blizzard tube
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WaState

WaState
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm 
I ordered a blizzard tube, an emergency sleeping shelter bag for one or two.people. I have been looking for this kind of two person sack for awhile. Primary purpose is day trips with GF. I will also bring a light tarp or bothy bag and pads. http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/article.php/5/blizzard-survival-tube Anyone have experience with the blizzard bag or tube? I assume the insulating value Is the same for both. I wonder if consendation or weting out is bad or not? I imagine it is bad...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm 
I've used it on a few hikes. The beauty of the tube is you don't actually need a tarp or a ground sheet. I would avoid sleeping in it with down bags. My daughter and I got caught at Panhandle Gap one night and spent the night in the tube with no sleeping bags but we did have minimal pads and some rectangular envelopes, it kept us warm enough. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7993279 You can see in this report how big it is unwrapped, I just hang it on the bottom of the pack with two straps.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
WaState

WaState
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm 
That looks like what I am looking for, it sure looks cold enough in that pic to be practical in usage, I assume around freezing at night. I assume a down bag or down coat would wet out somewhat. Would it be practical to use with a down puffy or best to be a synthetic puffy? It is nice to have a light tarp to keep the ground and gear dry and also yourself when moving around. My idea is to use clothing, with a puffy, a few ground pads, a tarp in summer or a bothy in winter. Looks like it will work like that. Thanks

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm 
Tube tent reborn wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 am 
I am short so I sometimes carry a contractor sized garbage bag. Hmmm, I can think of a few derogatory remarks to make about my system.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 pm 
I'm certain the condensation would be awful. It's an emergency item, could save your ass in an emergency bivi like WW had, but it's not a piece for a planned overnight. I'd rather pack a silnylon tarp and a bunch of 2mm or 3mm cord as a day hike e-bivi item. If guying out the silnylon tarp is not practical, you can wrap two people inside it like a burrito to get an effect similar to an e-bivi tube. I've made several e-bivi tubes with drawstrings at both ends from various materials. The one I used the most was made of 3L GoreTex, so I could wear a down or syn puffy under it without fear of getting soaked from condensation. I used it mostly to stay warm during breaks on ski tours. IME, the breatheable tube was more useful than non-breatheable, but for a day hike e-bivi item I'd still rather have a silnylon tarp, a few Ti stakes and plenty of 2mm or 3mm cord.