Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is NW Topos basically dead?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm 
I checked at Switchbacks and it appears there haven't been any updates since the end of 2014. I've enjoyed using these maps over the years, both for Basecamp (on my computer) and my handheld Garmin GPS and sometimes for creating maps to print out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 pm 
Another Google, Cal Topo victim, most people use smart phone GPS now bigger display free maps. Garmin saw this coming went to Fitbit and InReach.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm 
Cal Topo isn't related to Google, but I agree with the point. I also think OpenStreetMap has had an impact -- many of the best maps on Cal Topo and Smart Phone App maps are based on that data. Switchbacks depends on people sending data via email to Jon Stanley which he then incorporates into updates when he has time (I'm guessing). OSM updates occur withing hours of the users entering data so it's a lot more rewarding to do that. But note that Cal Topo nearly shut down in 2015 because of the large amount of work involved and the high server costs ($2200/month at the time). The site is now supported by subscriptions. Subscribe here to support Cal Topo. The Pro level lets you download Garmin GPS maps.
Disclaimer -- I have nothing to do with Cal Topo. I just use it a lot and would hate to see it go away.

ejain

ejain
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm 
I'm still using the Switchbacks maps, but increasingly rely on OpenStreetMap. Trail coverage is sometimes better and sometimes worse, but I like that if a trail is missing or incorrect, you can easily fix it yourself here. You can download a copy of OpenStreetMap (with topo data) for Garmin devices (and BaseCamp) from http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-pacific-osm-topo-routable.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm 
Never heard of NW Topos. Big fan of caltopo.com, though. biggrin.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 pm 
Yeah sure looks dead. I still use it though. I contribued a lot of track logs to it before it was first published.

Stefan

Stefan
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm 
I use TOPO. Superior and mucho cheaper than Caltopo. Plus, I use TOPO even without a WIFI connection when I am at a car and I need to alter plans. I have tried Caltopo. The only thing better that I have found is seamless with Canada and satellite photos. Caltopo is going away someday too. Then all data you put on there will be lost. All software changes. You should see all the notations I have on my TOPO.

Art is an adventure.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 pm 
Stefan, are you talking about National Geographic TOPO? That Windows/Mac app is different than Switchbacks / NW Topos the OP was talking about. Like you, I keep a local copy of my geographic data but in a combination of BaseCamp and Google Earth. But apps can go away too when the creator stops supporting them and you are forced to upgrade to a newer OS.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:39 pm 
Sorry I forgot the comma (,) google and cal topo not related. The money is in road maps where google rules. Cal topo and a number of other boutiques such as half mile, gut hooks, etc. now share the backpacking niche.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Stefan

Stefan
PostSat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Stefan, are you talking about National Geographic TOPO?
Yep....talking bout National Geographic Topo

Art is an adventure.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 9:26 am 
Speaking of OSM, the map below displays the standard OSM tiles and is centered on Tiger Mtn. A guy by the name of Andy Alan has enhanced the OSM tiles with an emphasis on trails. He has given me permission to display his tiles with Gmap4. You can see Andy's work by changing the basemap to "t8 Topo OSM Cycle World". To visit Andy's website, turn on his tiles and then click the "ThunderForest" link at the bottom of the screen. Also, another reason for the deline of Switchbacks might be that more high quality trail is data is showing up on federal/state/county GIS servers. If you zoom in one step on the map below then you can turn on the GIS overlay layer "King_County_trails". This data is hosted on the county server.
View larger size in new window

rolsen

rolsen
PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 am 
Which software features trails as thorough as good old fashioned Green Trails maps?

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am 
One of the key features of Green Trail maps is that they show a distance value for trail segments. The USFS GIS server includes distance data for trail segments. Here is the USFS Interactive Visitor's Map (IVM) https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html If you zoom in a bunch eventually trails appear. If you click a trail you get a popup with a little bit of data that includes a field called "Length (Segment):" Unfortunately the IVM does not show the endpoints for the trail "segment" and it would be a mistake for you to guess at the location of the endpoints. Here is a Google + GIS map I produced that displays data from the USFS GIS server, displays *all* the attribute data when you click a trail and highlights the trail segment you clicked. This highlight gives you context for the distance data. If you click a few trails you will soon see that trail segment endpoints are sometimes at seemingly random spots along the trail. Tip: Wait a few seconds for all the yellow trail highlighting to load before you click the map.
View larger size in new window

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Never heard of NW Topos. Big fan of caltopo.com, though. biggrin.gif
The most appealing part of NW Topos is that you can download the maps directly onto your Garmin GPS for free. In this key feature, NW Topos in not a competitor to CalTopo or TOPO! (I use all three). The maps include an abundance of user-generated trails. (In fact, I have rarely found a trail that wasn't included). NW Topos also runs on your computer, accessible from the free BaseCamp software, but for this purpose, I like CalTopo a little better, even though you're dependent on an Internet connection for CalTopo, but not NW Topos. Here are a couple samples of what the zoomable display looks like on a GPS:

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 pm 
I am sad to see NW TOPOs/ Switchback dying off. I relied on it heavily on my Garmin in WA. But when I moved to Oregon I noticed only a small percentage of Oregon trails are represented. I was hoping that number would improve with time, but it appears that is not going to happen. bawl.gif Oregon seems about 20 years behind on hiking technology in general. Very few GPS tracks, almost no recent trip reports or trail conditions reports. Heck, they are just discovering hiking sticks and micro spikes here. A few people have the old coil type yak traks, but most people rely on vegee belay or just turn around when conditions are icy, which is often. It's like stepping back in time. shakehead.gif

friluftsliv