Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Riverside Laker wrote:
I don't see why you have to pay for the ski lifts. They should be free too.
I agree. What could possibly be wrong with that?
Parking at all the Methow ski trailheads is free. Not that parking does you much good without a trail pass. This past Saturday, I took advantage of their free shuttle from Winthrop to Mazama, and skied back. (21 miles, 4 hours.) You have to buy a trail pass to use the free shuttle. Overall, I have a pretty favorable view of skiing there. So do most people, judging by the number of MTA passes I see people skiing with near Snoqualmie. Part of this might be that even while the day passes cost a lot, they don't excessively charge for every little thing. The other side of the coin is what could possibly go wrong by alienating your customers. Running a ski resort is expensive, that only works when people are willing to pay to go there. I avoid Highway 2, so I don't know how busy the place is or what they charge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am 
It should be mentioned that Stevens Pass only charges for parking on weekends and holidays. I've skied weekdays for years and never paid for parking. They just started this with the last owner and it was justified by trying to get people to carpool and reduce the number of vehicles since the lots are full by 9 am. Parking is free if you have 4 or more people in your vehicle and $20 otherwise.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am 
So I am surprised the USFS hasn't put a limit on the number of people allowed in the area but then again its not the same in the winter as the summer with respect to environmental impact. However there is an impact of Hiway 2 for sure. How long before the parking fee/restrictions change like it does anywhere else?

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
So I am surprised the USFS hasn't put a limit on the number of people allowed in the area
It's not a Wilderness Area, it's a resort. Available parking limits the number of people. The ski area has plans for development (https://www.stevenspass.com/site/mountain/info/future-plans) and is required to do so in terms of its lease. It expanded the parking a couple of years ago and installed a new chair lift. It also developed the bike park the last few years to enable operations almost year-round.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 pm 
I know I live there.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:34 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Parking is free if you have 4 or more people in your vehicle and $20 otherwis
And that only applies to Lots A and G (across the highway). All the other lots are still free on weekends.

Knows literally nothing
christensent

christensent
PostSat Feb 17, 2018 3:57 pm 
I went up there today and apparently lot D (the other lot on the Skyline Ridge side of the highway) is employee only, and of course lot C is a bus lot. It's not signed at all to tell you employees only so we parked there since it was only 3/4 full in the morning despite claims of full parking. Employees were not overly thrilled with this especially since we were stuck along with practically everyone else there. This is to say that all parking on that side of the highway is a pay lot. You need to park on the resort side of the highway and walk the bridge across.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Jeff wrote:
I wonder if their special use permit allows them to deny parking at a long standing USFS trailhead.
Yes, it does from Nov 1 to April 15.