Forum Index > Trail Talk > Which cell phone service has best coverage in WA Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
+1 for Verizon and also -1 for anti-technology people. Get over yourself.
Anti-technology? Yes and no. I've been curious about the InReach for some time now, and it appears to be a good tool to have if I want to reliably be able to reach out for help. Back when I had Verizon (I now have Google Fi), coverage was spotty in the Olympics (see - I carried a cell phone in the backcountry!), so I stopped bringing my phone. So, I'm not totally against technology. Do I want cell towers in each river valley of ONP so people can Snapchat, Facebook, hold loud conversations for everyone else to hear? Nope, sure don't.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
My $35/mo Total Wireless plan uses the VZW network and includes slightly more data than VZW's $70/mo plan.
What's the catch? Seems too good to be true.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm 
Currently no catch that I know of. It used to be that Verizon throttled data for MVNOs like Total and Straight Talk, so my speed was capped at 5 Mbps while people who paid Verizon directly were at 20 Mbps. I never noticed a difference when I switched from (paying) Verizon, though I've never streamed much on my phone. But apparently they quit throttling last year so it's no longer an issue anyway. From a little while ago:
I've seen complaints about customer service of the MVNOs but I personally haven't had any issues, seems no better/worse than Verizon. Last year I accidentally chucked my iPhone 5s off the summit of Mt. Stuart and had no trouble getting ahold of a real person and switching my service to a new phone that I bought at Frys. clown.gif

nordique

nordique
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:51 pm 
My big hiking groups used to enjoy a routine, at our lunch spot, where those with phones would check the latest Dow Jones--and Verizon always won. Since it was so one-sided, that game died out, especially with so many going to Verizon.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am 
You can get also get Verizon pretty cheaply through Tracfone (a Mexican carrier).