Forum Index > Trail Talk > Eagle Creek Fire, Columbia River Gorge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
y'all got way more energy than I do to hate so much on someone that long
Sadly this language is all too common today. Casually accusing a person of "hating" when they merely wish to hold a party fully responsible for their actions is a lazy rhetorical hack. Hate this kid? Nope. Want to see, that to the practical extent possible, he is held to account for his actions? Absolutely, resolutely and firmly. That some see this as "hate" speaks more to those that spew that foul language that those that want to see justice done.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 11:57 am 
How was there no way he could have imagined the impact of his actions? Had I seen him throwing fireworks into a dry ravine in one of the worst fire seasons ever I would have immediately imagined the entire gorge going up in flames, which is basically what happened. Same goes for any other large wildfire. When I go out in those conditions I take extreme precautions to not start a fire because I am aware of the impact. I'm not a wilderness scientist or wildland firefighter or anything - I just know that an accidental blaze during fire season could have disastrous consequences. How do I know this? It's obvious, it's on the news, and they post signs everywhere. This little waste of space is a moron who can't think past his own crappy little life which again, I hope is ruined, just like the lives of those who lost homes, land, productivity, pets, livestock and of course our collective loss of wildlife, habitat and ecosystems. First landslide that kills someone in that area is also going to be on him. When the highway destabilizes through that area due to slumping and runoff, it's on him. 15 years from now when we all look up at the blackened tree line with the puffs of green under it and think to ourselves "wow, it's really coming back" the fact that it's gone in the first place is ON HIM. When people carelessly destroy resources we ALL count on it's a bigger crime than it appears at first.

drm

drm
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 12:25 pm 
Here's a view I struggle with. Living in the area, I occasionally hear claims that such a fire was going to happen. The area had not burned in a long time and was primed. It could be this kid, it could be lightning, it could be a spark from a machine. This frame says that since it was inevitable, and was the result of a lesser action that wildly expanded, we shouldn't get so angry at the kid. I'm not posting this POV because I agree with it, just so folk can respond.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm 
drm wrote:
This frame says that since it was inevitable, and was the result of a lesser action that wildly expanded, we shouldn't get so angry at the kid.
Well, if one is to take that logic to its fruition then negligent homicide, or manslaughter, isn't so bad because we all die anyway. Not calling you out, just an observation.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
DigitalJanitor wrote:
y'all got way more energy than I do to hate so much on someone that long
Sadly this language is all too common today. Casually accusing a person of "hating" when they merely wish to hold a party fully responsible for their actions is a lazy rhetorical hack.
Seriously TC, have you read this thread? I have to disagree ... absolutely, resolutely, and firmly. I don't even have to leave this page to find an example.
cambajamba wrote:
This little waste of space is a moron who can't think past his own crappy little life which again, I hope is ruined
And there is more like that throughout this thread. Some aren't content with just any ole punishment, they seem to want a pound of flesh as well. And not just from this kid but some want to include his family as well. Ten years ago a similarly aged kid shot and killed a woman hiking here in Washington, mistaking her for a bear. He was sentenced to 30 days in juvenile detention and 120 days of community service. Our society recognizes that children have not developed their judgement making brain portion like an adult and thus we have a separate system and laws for juveniles. This prosecutor in this current case was inline with this sentence as was the judge. Ruining this 15yo kid's life doesn't serve anyone or any good purpose. Of course we have a right to be angry, but we need not allow that anger to turn to hate as it has been expressed by some in this thread. My father was strict with me and my brothers, VERY strict. But he also knew how to show compassion, GREAT compassion. I will tell you, I learned more about how to live because of that compassion than I ever learned from his strict disciplinary actions. As I have expressed before, my guess is this kid is going to turn out just fine. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu May 17, 2018 2:53 pm 
gb

gb
PostFri May 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
I think the money amount is not as important as the message. It would not ruin this kid's life for him to have to spend his entire summer vacation each year working forestry, forest fires, environmental work until he is 21.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:06 pm 
Sounds like the judge hung the entire 36M cost off the fire on the kid. Harsh! Guess we dont have to worry about a too lenient sentence in this case!

cambajamba

cambajamba
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:43 pm 
gb wrote:
spend his entire summer vacation each year working forestry, forest fires, environmental work until he is 21
I imagine there are a lot of young ones who would benefit from this sort of opportunity that aren't worthless pieces of arsonist trash.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 21, 2018 12:56 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Sounds like the judge hung the entire 36M cost off the fire on the kid. Harsh! Guess we dont have to worry about a too lenient sentence in this case!
Wow! There's no way he's ever going to be able to pay back the vast majority of that, so what is accomplished exactly?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon May 21, 2018 1:13 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
thunderhead wrote:
Wow! There's no way he's ever going to be able to pay back the vast majority of that, so what is accomplished exactly?
There's a twist... "Olson ( the Judge ) acknowledged that the boy cannot pay the restitution in full and he authorized the Hood River Juvenile Department to establish a payment schedule. He wrote "the court can grant full or partial satisfaction of the restitution judgment after 10 years if the youth successfully completes probation, does not commit additional offenses, and complies with the payment plans."

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 21, 2018 1:47 pm 
Im ok with cancelling the debt after 10 years of perfect behaviour.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 21, 2018 1:58 pm 
That's interesting, thanks for adding that.

hikermike

hikermike
PostMon May 21, 2018 9:34 pm 
Reminds me of brer Rabbit...at that age, I would haved loved to be on a fire crew!

BdCast

BdCast
PostWed May 30, 2018 3:08 pm 
Thought you all would find this interesting. Hot spot detected at Eagle Creek. Made it through the winter. “Hood River, Ore. —May 29, 2018—Forest Service firefighters responded this morning to a small hotspot reported near Herman Creek. The glow from the flare-up was reported around 2:00 a.m. on May 29. Firefighters located the hotspot early this morning, about a half mile east of Herman Creek Trailhead, north of the Gorge 400 trail.” https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=849811125219633&id=406704602863623&ref=content_filter