Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Muir - 2/19/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm 
No pictures because today was the day that my SD card decided to bite the dust. 1,000+ pics, poof, gone. Remember kids, always backup. So, the "mostly sunny" forecast for today was mostly BS, at least as far as Rainier was concerned. When I arrived at Longmire it was snowing hard. The lady at the booth said that the gate was expected to open on time, but I was skeptical. After watching the plow guy and the ranger chit-chat for a while, they finally got around to opening the gate 30 minutes late. Sucky, but at least they opened it. When I got up to Paradise the mountain was mostly socked in. And it was also really cold out. 12 degrees according to my car. The good news, however, was that there was tons of fresh powder on the ground. As is often the case, I was the first person out of the car and thus had the honor of breaking trail. When I got to the top of Pan Point I let a couple other skiers break trail from there on. Despite all the fresh snow, the top of Pan Point was still a little firm and icy. After McClure Rock everything softened up again. As I continued towards Camp Muir, visibility kept going in and out. It wasn't bad enough to impede navigation, but enough to be concerned. Around 8,500 feet I finally breached the cloud layer. It was sunny and beautiful, but windy and cold. VERY cold. The snow higher-up was starting to become wind-affected, but was still very skiable. When I reached Camp Muir I did not linger. I put on a parka and hardshells, pulled skins, and shook my hands furiously to get some feeling back in them. Only about 5-6 other people made it to Muir. On the way down, once I passed the wind-affected areas, the skiing was excellent. Nice, smooth powder turns. Easily some of the best skiing I've ever had on Rainier. Unfortunately, when I skied back into the clouds it was a full-on whiteout and I had to slow down to almost a walking-pace. The whiteout persisted until I was all the way down. On my drive out, I noticed that the mountain had completely cleared up. Go figure.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm 
Several years ago, a friend’s SD card couldn’t be read due to errors. Data Rescue program from Prosoft recovered all of the pics from the card.

nordique

nordique
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm 
I've learned, the hard way, that I need to reformat my memory cards once a week. It's not enough to delete photos downloaded off the card.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 pm 
nordique wrote:
I've learned, the hard way, that I need to reformat my memory cards once a week. It's not enough to delete photos downloaded off the card.
^^^ That. If you copy the photos off and delete them the card will eventually corrupt; the cards need to be reformatted occasionally to avoid corruption.

If not now, when?
reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 pm 
That is a good tip I did not know about. Thanks

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm 
^also thanks for the re-formatting tip.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:47 am 
How do you reformat?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
christensent

christensent
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 am 
John Morrow wrote:
How do you reformat?
If windows, just go to my computer, right click the drive, press format. The default settings will likely work but if not you might need to figure out what file system your camera is compatible with. I think this goes without saying, but warning, this will delete all contents of the card.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat