Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Best places to retire in eastern Washington?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 am 
How are you at dealing with snow? Spokane gets a lot of that in the winter and you'll be driving around in it with a lot of other people. They have a plowing plan where streets are prioritized which can kick in during a bad winter. That's not unusual for towns to do. This can cause a lot of whining especially if you didn't know. That brings up another part of research to do. Plowing. If you want to live out of town, think about how your private road is going to get the snow cleared. Or, if the realtors advertise "surrounded by Forest Service land" you'd really better do your homework. You may need to get a permit to plow the road. You'll be maintaining that road, and spring breakup can be a muddy pain even with a 4x4. Another rural issue is open range. If you settle in an area designated open range, it is up to you to build a fence to keep the cows out of your yard and garden. That's along with being responsible for compensation to the rancher if you hit a cow with your car on the highway. That's what those Open Range signs on the road mean. You might want to read the online Spokesman Review for research purposes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am 
I have retired and live in Southeastern Washington. I lived in Seattle (20 years), Whidbey Island, Alaska, New Hampshire, Indiana and Michigan. Did 10 years in Northeast Washington, 2 years in Northwest Montana and now 8 plus years down here. So what do I see as pros and cons of living east of the cascades? The weather! I got tired of my sheep's wool turning algae green on Whidbey. And that was much drier then Seattle! Over here the sun actually comes out and there are not weeks of drizzle and grayness. Summers are hot, but I like it now. Air quality is great. (Smoke last summer for a week, but not as bad as everyone thought) This winter I have had to shovel snow twice. You can bicycle almost daily in the Lewiston/Clarkston area , yet ski resorts are one to two hours away. Cross country skiing is 15 miles south of my home. The downside of living here is the distance you have to travel to get to bigger cities, shopping and entertainment. Living in Pomeroy, our go to city is Lewiston/Clarkston. Ocasionaly go to Walla Walla. For ski trips north we will go to Spokane. We chose not to live in Clarkson as it litterly stinks there from Lewistons paper mill. Walla Walla is nice, but to me boring. Spokane is fine. Lots to do, but crime is higher there, not to my liking. Northeastern Washington is great, but the winters require snow shovels and snowplows. (Spokanes snow plowing is getting better, but side streets can get awful if not plowed right away.) To go hiking in the Cascades it is usually a four hour drive to the trailhead. For me it is 20 minutes to the "lonely" Blues. The Wallowas are 2 hours away. My wife and I stay to ourselves, but in my town or the bigger cities, have numerous community type programs to get involved with. The colleges in Lewiston ,Spokane and Walla Walla have community education programs for many interests. Over the last year and a half I remodeled my home completely. Value has doubled, but since I am old, poor and retired, my property tax went went from $850 to $170. Yet the biggest reason I have stayed here. Medical care is quite an issue for both the west and east side of this state. As I have worked as a physician on "both sides now" I can only say, you get what you get. It is Russian roulette as to how good of care you are going to get. (For me I would use the hospitals in Spokane and Walla Walla. Probably not go to any others! Lots more to say, but I do like it here!!! I can always drive to the mountains, but not always like where I live near them.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am 
This is a good thread. Lots of useful info being presented.

glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm 
I failed to mention a concern some retired people have about medical care in smaller rural towns. For those seeking to get a Medicare Advantage plan, you will need to check out if the area you plan to live in offers them. In my county (Garfield) none are offered. You are left with Part D and a supplemental to choose from. (The big white slaughter house in Ellensburg seen from I-90 in days past was for lambs. It is closed now. The nearest large scale slaughterhouse for beef used to be down near Pasco.) Eastern Washington is a great place to garden by the way. Your tomatoes will actually turn red on the vine. I forage down the Tucannon and mushroom hunt in the Blues. I get more then enough of apples, apricots, prunes, and pears, morals, chanterrelles, oysters, boletes and bears head. Huckleberry, blackberry, elderberry and chokecherry are abundant.

mike

mike
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:08 pm 
glenoid wrote:
Living in Pomeroy..........,
We kinda like it around Dayton...Pomeroy area. Stayed in the new motel in Dayton last time. Ate at the pub. Took the back roads between the two. Too much snow to get through on the Kendall Skyline/Maloney Mtn/NF4620 Road but still fun. No plans to move there tho so don't worry about your taxes going up smile.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:32 pm 
glenoid wrote:
Your tomatoes will actually turn red on the vine.
Not to rain on a great thread but I cannot let this pass without observing that we live on the west (wet) side 4 miles NW of Redmond and not only do our organic tomatoes turn red on the vine (local food bank gets many) but we also grow several varieties of melt-in-your-mouth sweet melon.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 am 
glenoid wrote:
Lots more to say, but I do like it here!!! I can always drive to the mountains
Thanks for the summary on that area. I was out in the Moscow Pullman area looking around a couple of months ago and was recommended Lewiston-Clarkston as a good place to live. I went to school in Pullman and lived in Moscow for a couple of years after. I remember my trips down the hill to Lewiston and it being like what locals on this side call the "aroma of Tacoma" but without the good views. I'm also interested in a place where there is still some sense of community and I recall Moscow being a pretty good place for that 25 years ago. There are some differences now with a church lead by a controversial pastor having taken over a good portion of the downtown area which has some old timers worried. It has injected some new blood into the area as well as business interests, which is not all bad. They have designs to stack the city council and school board but active locals are keeping tabs on that. I was surprised at the sprawl climbing up the palouse hillsides on former wheat fields. Lots of big, suburban looking houses with nary a tree around them on newly built streets. Also lots of new people presumably from the Puget Sound area or California. A real estate agent told me that "bidding wars" for some homes in select areas have now started. Some smaller farm communities like Palouse are where some old friends have gone. Only 10 minutes from Moscow but a world of difference. Speaking of friends, after not seeing some people in over 20 years I went back and folks I knew treated me as if it were just yesterday that we said goodbye. Here in Seattle I can hardly get a hello from a neighbor even after a decade.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 am 
RichP wrote:
Here in Seattle I can hardly get a hello from a neighbor even after a decade.
That is very much a Seattle thing. Living in Harlem for two years help my kids with twins and a toddler I was amazed at how easy it was to strike up conversations on the street , etc. I also been impressed with how friendly and helpful people are in this part of Manhattan and how the whole community looks out for little kids.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm 
Some pictures from my walk with the slightly used dog this morning. It isn't a real prosperous town. It does seem to attract a lot of Canadian shoppers though.
Looking towards the intersection that has one of four stoplights in the county.
Across the river at the Stampede grounds area--walking on the dike.
The "world famous" hill is in the background across the river.
Looking to the southish westish.
If this meadow was 100 miles to the west, it would be stomped, rutted up and trashed. I think a real campground will be put in this summer? Or not. It's a nice place although a bit buggy and is nearby. This was last summer.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:53 pm 
I am surprised by how expensive homes are in the Reno/Carson City/Garnerville area. Albuquerque has gorgeous homes that are very inexpensive. Even the Taos area looks pretty reasonable. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of road trips to find the perfect place. If it wasn't for poison oak in much of Oregon, that area might be appealing. Good to know that the meat processing plant in Ellensburg has gone. I remembered detouring off of I-90 to avoid seeing it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:26 am 
Ok there may be some poison oak around here sure, but finding more ticks in any given month of spring than I'd seen in my entire life prior to moving here, more than makes up for it. :0

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 4:16 pm 
Anybody on the east side have any issues with living on, or near a orchard? Health, water quality etc... I have a friend in Peshashtin and he says on days that they are spraying, he says you can actually taste it in the air Thanks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm 
Bootpath, that can happen along with overspray. It's been a while since I lived here but I chose to not live near an orchard or a pot farm. The latter stinks. I once rented a house that was in the middle of an orchard and the guy would just start spraying with no warning. I would be running around closing windows or making a made dash for my car if it was time to go to work. I didn't stay there very long. They try to spray when there is no wind. That's why so much is done early. that's all I know. I moved into town. I remember the reek of orchard spray in Wenatchee, but most of those orchards are now houses.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 10:39 pm 
Roly Poly wrote:
If it wasn't for poison oak in much of Oregon, that area might be appealing
I haven't seen any poison oak around where I live in Oregon, on the East side. I do live in the High Desert though. Its tough to live in a desert. This was my day today, a 19 mile drive from my house.
Upper Tangent Trail. 
Swampy Lakes sno-park, Bend OR 2/26/18, xc skiing
Upper Tangent Trail. Swampy Lakes sno-park, Bend OR 2/26/18, xc skiing
Desert means no water. I have to put up with this arid scene 1.1 miles from my home.
Deschutes River. 
Riley Ranch nature reserve, Bend OR, 2/22/18
Deschutes River. Riley Ranch nature reserve, Bend OR, 2/22/18
Lots of dust and smoke though. You really don't want to live here.

friluftsliv
RichP

RichP
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:47 am 
Here's a hotel for sale in Waterville for the price of a tear down or 2 br apartment in Seattle. http://www.watervillehotel.com/hotel-for-sale.html