Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 4:20 am 
Watched "2:22" a couple days ago. Odd, trippy, twisty film. I enjoyed it. Michiel Huisman plays an air traffic controller who excels at seeing patterns. His world suddenly turns upside down. He starts seeing visions, and is obsessing about a series of patterns he can't make sense of. Can't tell much more without ruining it. Teresa Palmer plays his love interest. I've enjoyed her in a number of films.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 3:15 pm 
rocknclimb wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
Annihilation Go see it, its awesome. So weird, so disturbing, but you can't take take your eyes off it.
Agree. Fun sci-fi with some great cinematography. Same director as Ex-Machina, but a bit darker of a movie. The end was a bit WTF, but I was fine with it.
Another vote for Annihilation. Not as good as Ex Machina, but still right up there. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 pm 
Game Night. up.gif up.gif

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 1:13 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Annihilation Go see it, its awesome. So weird, so disturbing, but you can't take take your eyes off it.
Sounds just like the book! Can't wait...I was going to check it out this weekend..until I looked for movie times and found it is not playing locally. A trip into PDX is in order!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am 
The Salvation Don't get turned off by the subtitles at the start: It's 99% English

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm 
Saw the new version of "Murder on the Orient Express." Good ensemble cast, I enjoyed it for the most part. I wasn't that keen on the ending though. Now I'm curious to watch the 1974 version for comparison. Was kinda cool seeing Daisy Ridley as a character other than Rey.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 pm 
Just watched Logan Lucky up.gif up.gif up.gif I don't know why this didn't at least get a Oscar nomination, and have no idea why it received such a lukewarm reception in general. It's a brilliant heist film with excellent acting and top notch writing. It's also incredibly hilarious - there are only a few films that I've ever laughed so hard at! At the same time it tells a remarkably touching and complex story with an immensely satisfying conclusion. It's just about perfect, and is definitely one of my favorite films from last year. What really shocked me was Daniel Craig's performance - he showed real emotion! Daniel Craig! Showing emotion! I've never been thrilled by his James Bond performance, but now I'd really like to see him in more roles outside of the Bond Films. Likewise Adam Driver was surprisingly good outside of his role as Kylo Ren in Star Wars.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 1:52 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
but now I'd really like to see him in more roles outside of the Bond Films.
Check out "Layer Cake."

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 1:59 pm 
I was really looking forward to seeing "Lady Bird." I'm a fan of Saoirse Ronan (lead actress) and Great Gerwig (director/writer). I had a hard time with it. Much of it was very mundane. Probably the biggest struggle was that the movie was so much about a mother-daughter relationship, and since I'm a male I've never been a teenage girl, a daughter or a mother, so it wasn't relatable for me. I thought the mom was awful. Just couldn't stop putting her daughter down, was never supportive or encouraging. I watched a making of segment on the bonus features. I actually enjoyed that much more than the movie itself. Gerwig was the focus of that and she was so charming and endearing, I found myself wishing she would've been on camera during the actual film.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Likewise Adam Driver was surprisingly good outside of his role as Kylo Ren in Star Wars.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5247022/videoplayer/vi530560537?ref_=vi_nxt_ap

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 pm 
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri I went into this one with high hopes. It was written and directed by the same guy that did In Bruges (Martin McDonagh), which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Overall I thought it was a pretty mixed bag. Great performances, but full of implausibilities and with an unlikable main character. Maybe that's not the point. I dunno, I guess I didn't really "get it." I'd be curious to see if anyone else had this reaction considering all the awards/praise this movie has garnered.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
I'd be curious to see if anyone else had this reaction
Yes...same here. Friends highly recommended this film; I found it sort of meh. I REALLY like Frances McDormand, and I think her work probably deserved the Oscar. Sam Rockwell was good....but Oscar?...nah. Woody H is a d*ck...he plays the same character over and over. There were better candidates, I think, for all the awards.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 pm 
To be clear the best male actor went to Oldman in "The Darkest Hour" where I thought he did an excellent job. I thought McDormand deserved the female actor. Rockwell was supporting actor and he seemed as good as the other nominees although he was attacked by the politically correct. Best picture went to "I boinked a fish" which was just as good a film IMO. The academy awards now usually go to the Indy films that come out late in the year. It is a marketing endeavor. In any event it is just a movie.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm 
Saw Black Panther tonight Avery entertaining film with great special effects and amazing costumes. I think my appetite for comic book films is pretty much sated however. The plot was reminiscent of The Lion King to me which of course was also the plot of Richard III.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 am 
I've been avoiding M. Night Shyamalan movies for quite a while. I initially had no interest in "Split." But I changed my mind and decided to give it a try. Rather intriguing psychological thriller, fairly unsettling. James McAvoy was great playing a person with at least 23 distinct personalities (and maybe 1 more?). Although not all 23 appeared during the film. He abducts and holds captive 3 young women. I'd seen 2 of them in a few other films--Anya Taylor-Joy and Hailey Lu Richardson--and enjoyed their performances. Both were good in this, as well as the 3rd captive Jessica Sula. I'm really not into horror movies which is part of why I was avoiding this. For the most part I wouldn't call it that, although it contains a few elements of the genre. Definitely worth watching I thought.