Forum Index > Photography Talk > Mirrorless cameras compatible with my new iPadmini
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm 
My five year old mini bit the dust, so I got an IPad mini4. The guy at the Apple Store said some mirrorless cameras work better than others with Apple products. Any advice on this issue?Also, I have several nice Olympus lenses I used to use with my OM1 SLR and would like to find a mirrorless that they are compatible with. TIA!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
My five year old mini bit the dust, so I got an IPad mini4. The guy at the Apple Store said some mirrorless cameras work better than others with Apple products. Any advice on this issue?Also, I have several nice Olympus lenses I used to use with my OM1 SLR and would like to find a mirrorless that they are compatible with. TIA!
Your old lenses will work with AF on the Olympus EM-1 I (which I have and is only available used) and the Olympus EM-1 II, which is the current top of the line Olympus camera. I have an iMac and everything works fine.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:23 pm 
Thanks gb, very helpful information!

mike

mike
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:54 pm 
gb wrote:
Your old lenses will work with AF on the Olympus EM-1 .......and the Olympus EM-1 II, which is the current top of the line Olympus camera.
To clarify...your old lenses from OM1 days will require an adapter to use them on µ4:3 cameras. They will fit any 4:3 and µ4:3 body and many other brands with the right adapter. These are available cheaply on ebay. The lenses won't be the same as on the OM1. First of all they are manual focus only just like on the OM1. They don't have electrical contacts so they can't "talk" to the body. You have to set the focal length in the menu system of the camera and you don't get exif data. For technical reasons the apparent focal length is 2x the original focal length. So a 50mm Zuiko on a µ4:3 body is the same as 100mm on the old OM1. This is commonly called the 'crop factor'. Finally it's fun to play around with the old lenses but don't expect much. Lens design has come a long way and any kit lens now with be better than most old SLR lenses.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:06 pm 
Thanks for the additional information, Mike, much appreciated. Perhaps I need to face the fact that those lenses just won't be needed anymore. I did really enjoy my OM1 for quite a few years though!

mike

mike
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 pm 
Might as well give 'em a try. Adapters are cheap. Some people like the way they render. edit: which lenses do you have?

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm 
Yes, it would be fun to give them a try..Olympus 50mm which I used when backpacking and for portraits Tamron 28-70mm. I dropped my camera on a boulder and the latch holding it closed broke, so I quit using it after tiring of duct tape not working, but it took great pictures for many years.

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 am 
The 50mm will make a decent portrait lens.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am 
The Tamron lens was a gift, and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but discovered it was good for blurring out background in portraits. Often used a tripod with it.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 3:02 pm 
mike wrote:
Finally it's fun to play around with the old lenses but don't expect much. Lens design has come a long way and any kit lens now with be better than most old SLR lenses.
Yes this is assuredly so. If you have old lenses cluttering your home, particularly old Nikkors, you should just give them to me. I don't want you to suffer!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini