Forum Index > Trip Reports > The North Bend Triple - 3/3/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm 
Just to clarify, I hiked all three of these peaks at an average pace of about 3 MPH, carrying a fairly standard sized day pack with all of the essentials. Wearing boots. I did not run any of it because, aside from the fact that I hate running and cherish my knees, I think trail running on hiking trails is obnoxious. *ducks*

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 2:59 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
think trail running on hiking trails is obnoxious. *ducks*
But J_S_H, what's a hiking trail vs. a running trail vs. a biking trail ( I generally stay off the kamikazi downhill bike trails) vs. a horse trail? There is the protocal of who yields to whom or what. on multi-use trails....which some adhere to and some don't.... Not looking for a defense, just hoping to point out that we can all get along out there if we try.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm 
Add Little Si, the full length of Rattlesnake Ridge, then East Tiger, Middle Tiger and West Tiger, then Squak and Cougar and you've got the Issy Alps 100 Mile

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Add Little Si, the full length of Rattlesnake Ridge, then East Tiger, Middle Tiger and West Tiger, then Squak and Cougar and you've got the Issy Alps 100 Mile
That would be quite a day, but I wouldn't consider the Issaquah Alps to be "deep in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest."

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
. . . I wouldn't consider the Issaquah Alps to be "deep in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest."
An editor wrote that dubious line. If you had read the article, you'd have seen this:
Quote:
Despite feeling remote at times, the Issy route does not sit in the secluded backcountry or vast wilderness areas that blanket other parts of the state. While many sections traverse long-forgotten footpaths grown over with stinging nettles, other stretches pass through residential neighborhoods and utilize crowded hiking trails.
13 people have finished the 100 mile event. More have finished the 50km and 100km scaled down versions.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm 
DadFly wrote:
I gave up on the popular trails long ago. Running Si is "rude" if you consider you are in the minority. dizzy.gif
Hmm, I'm not sure how/why someone jogging up or down a trail is any more rude than someone hiking/walking faster than the people in front of them. Runners and fast hikers have every bit as much right to use the trails as they want as anyone else. I guess my rule is that I yield/GTFOOTW for people moving faster than me, regardless of who is going up or down. Especially people who are running or jogging. In my opinion, the most inconsiderate behavior is to know you are in the way of someone moving faster and refuse to get out of their way. This would be closely followed by blaring tinny music from your phone, purposely dislodging large rocks, graffiti a-holes (Mailbox and Si), smoking on trails, groups taking breaks blocking trails (common in the Si boulders) and the D-O-G issues. I guess some people's egos feel upset about being passed. For my part I admire and respect the hell out of people going faster than me.

If not now, when?
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm 
^ ^ ^ agree with all of the above. FTR, a typical trail runner walks steeper uphills and averages 4-5 mph on trails like Mt. Si and Mailbox. That's not that much faster than a fast hiker.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:09 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
^ ^ ^ agree with all of the above. FTR, a typical trail runner walks steeper uphills and averages 4-5 mph on trails like Mt. Si and Mailbox. That's not that much faster than a fast hiker.
I agree with Steve who is agreeing with CC.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:29 pm 
What peak do you guys think would be the best addition for a North Bend Quadruple? Little Si is way too small. Rattlesnake doesn't have enough gain. Mt. Washington perhaps? That would make 15K and almost 30 miles.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
What peak do you guys think would be the best addition for a North Bend Quadruple
Sorry, J_S_H, I am not familiar enough with your area to know. Meanwhile I am devising a Nooksack North Fork Triple for this summer and maybe for the future a quad. Who's interested? P.M. me!

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Nooksack North Fork Triple for this summer and maybe for the future a quad. Who's interested? P.M. me!
I'd be interested in hearing about what you devise. I've haven't done much hiking in that area so a big peak bagging day around there might be fun.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm 
As it looks now, it would be Church Mountain to the old lookout site, then Welcome Pass, followed by Goat Mountain to the West Peak. All on good to excellent trail, with some easy scrambling up Goat. (Cl. 2 or 3). Drive between trailheads this first time, maybe get ambitious later! The quad would insert Excelsior in there between Church and Welcome, or maybe do Church-Excelsior-Welcome as the triple and add Goat for the quad. I haven't figured the mileage or vert yet but it wouldn't be a stroll around Green Lake. I hope to give it a go in late July or early August. I'm old and slow. embarassedlaugh.gif But I don't have to go fast, just go!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
What peak do you guys think would be the best addition for a North Bend Quadruple?
Granite seems like a good option, although that might be pushing the boundaries of what's considered "North Bend." So maybe McClellan Butte? Brushbuffalo's triple sounds way more fun and scenic though. At least up there you'd get some good views to go along with your suffering wink.gif
Bootpathguy wrote:
Bessemer
On second thought, how about Garfield?

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Brushbuffalo's triple sounds way more fun and scenic though. At least up there you'd get some good views to go along with your suffering wink.gif
Also, not much by way of crowds. More bears than peeps if during huckleberry time.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
350 feet taller but much further up the Middle Fork. Wouldn't qualify as a North Bend Quadruple in my opinion
I forgot the wink.gif That would be seriously impressive if anyone could do the triple and climb Garfield all in one go.