Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
One of them had an almost entirely white body.
probably a leucistic individual

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 11:07 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
probably a leucistic individual
I've seen a leucistic crow a few blocks away several times. Maybe there's something in the water here.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 am 
Crud, Bought a bunch of feeders/seed. Nary a bird in two weeks. I live near Lk. Stevens HS and have a greenbelt out back...no juncos or chickadees even. Something has gnawed on the suet but I have not seen what it is. tom

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 5:53 pm 
I've seen my white junco about a half a dozen times now, but it never hangs around very long and I haven't managed to get a picture of it so far. Today I saw 3 eagles cruise overhead at Boeing Creek Park. I can't remember ever seeing an eagle there or in my general neighborhood before. Definitely down by the waterfront nearby, but not inland.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 am 
Hint: I am having some success with baby carrots or stacks of pennies in my Wrist-Rocket slingshot to keep the neighbor cats and huge gray squirrels off my birds and feeder. Using marbles or ball bearings is forbidden because a hard richochet might damage neighbor windows or cars parked in the cul de sac. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom the Protector

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 pm 
Like probably everyone else, I have robins coming out of my ears around the house. I don't recall seeing a varied thrush at home before. I had one hanging around a week or two ago. Heard it seeing several times as well. Might be the earliest in the year I've ever heard any kind of thrush other than a robin singing.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 pm 
Red-tailed Hawks are pairing up E of the crest

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm 
I consider myself very fortunate that my commute goes through fir island near La Conner. On a daily basis, I see hawks eagles and snow geese. With opportunity to walk the dikes looking for owls.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 07, 2018 6:39 pm 
We've had a ton of eagles so far. One was in a tree not 20 feet off the road this morning, slowed down in preparation to stop and get a pic, but he didn't like that and flew off. A few weeks ago I was flying my toys at the local airfield on a pretty decent day for thermals, and saw this small flock of large birds circling and climbing out. They didn't have the wing shape for a buzzard and didn't do the gentle rocking from side to side the buzzards tend to do. I grabbed my binos and to my surprise, they were all bald eagles. I didn't know they ever flew in flocks or groups, it was odd to see it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 6:00 pm 
There's an unusual looking mallard that I've seen off and on at the little lake in Boeing Creek Park, including today. I was thinking hybrid, but doing a little googling it might be a domestic mallard, which can appear different. It has the characteristic iridescent green head, but instead of a brown throat/chest and gray body, it has a white throat/chest and brown body. The wings appear different too. It hangs out w/ all the other mallards and appears to be paired up with a female. I keep expecting little yellow fuzz balls any time now, but haven't seen any yet.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
There's an unusual looking mallard that I've seen off and on at the little lake in Boeing Creek Park, including today. I was thinking hybrid, but doing a little googling it might be a domestic mallard, which can appear different. It has the characteristic iridescent green head, but instead of a brown throat/chest and gray body, it has a white throat/chest and brown body. The wings appear different too.
Could it be a partially leucistic individual? I've seen many partially leucistic wild birds, including a few mallards, including one at Green Lake the past couple summers.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Could it be a partially leucistic individual? I've seen many partially leucistic wild birds, including a few mallards, including one at Green Lake the past couple summers.
I think I have a partially leucistic crow and Oregon junco in my neighborhood, but in the case of the duck I don't think that's it. Looks similar to the first picture in this link and what is later described as a duclair duck. http://www.10000birds.com/manky-mallards-domestic-feral-or-just-plain-odd-mallards.htm

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:59 pm 
Leucism in birds is not all that rare. Today someone posted a link to a pic of a leucistic adult Bald Eagle flying near the SR 520 bridge.

camut

camut
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm 
A leucistic bald eagle is being seen frequently at The West 90 (aka Welts-Samish Restoration Site) near Samish Island. I saw it today in the bare trees just north of the parking lot. Very striking looking bird.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 am 
yesterday a pair of Say's Phoebes returned to our home in Eburg