Forum Index > Food & Grub > Nettle Recipes
Previous :: Next Topic  
More Cowbell

More Cowbell

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 8:04 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It's Nettle season here in Seattle already.
This year I made sure that I picked only the tops with as little stem as possible which made the prep of these greens super easy (no trimming, just soaking).

Tonight I made a basic pureed nettle soup with chicken stock, onion and potato. It needed some heavy cream which I didn't have so I used whole milk yogurt as a garnish. It worked.

Does anyone have other ways they like their nettles?

I might try a risotto with a batch that I didn't use in the soup next.

--------------
“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Frosty

Frosty

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 7:05 am 
I only have enough to steam once or twice in the spring. A friend has tons. I should transplant some more to a compost pile somewhere. You can dry the leaves and add them to soups I guess. If you are blessed with a surplus... tongue.gif
Salsa? I found a recipe whizzing up chopped nettles, garlic, pamegiano, oil and nuts. I would try that, but probably throw in some lime juice too and some heat, that one sounds more like a pesto.
Still snowing up here, the poor nesslehn still buried in the woods. Enjoy your spring treat!

--------------
Frosty,

Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter!
smile.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
touron

touron

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 7:50 am 
It nettles me that this thread has no pictures.

--------------
Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Mike Collins

Mike Collins

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 11:09 am 
Today brought the first bowl of stinging nettle soup into my life. The shoots with their tender leaves are just coming out of the ground and had a morning frost on them when picked today. Along with salmonberry pies I hope to add nettle soup onto the yearly traditions. Here is the recipe I used without the salt or cream. https://www.thespruce.com/stinging-nettles-soup-2217495
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan-K

Stefan-K

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 6:41 am 
Thanks for the reminder!

I remember on the Napeequa trail schwacking bushels of them out of the way with my poles... and forgetting that I could have been picking a few to add to the evenings meal.
Slim
This space for rent

Slim

This space for rent
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 5:11 pm 
Nettle pesto - really good.  Go for the tender tops.

Nettle Pesto Recipe

--------------
"Our flapjacks sell like hotcakes"
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > Nettle Recipes
  Happy Birthday Kathleen, eplanajr, Pepper!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: