Forum Index > Trail Talk > Very dangerous avalanche conditions this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm 
Thanks for posting that link to Avalanche Canada's website gb. There's lots of information there including a series of videos they call Avy Snacks. Here's one that covers avalanche terrain. It's oriented more for snowmobile riders but the examples are universal. So pardon the aggro music and some of the visuals. rolleyes.gif Lots of discussion about slope angle, wind load, aspect and terrain. Note around minute 05:20 as they talk about terrain traps the scenario reminded me of the folks at Mirror Lake. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am 
@Randyhiker "I don't think that is really a concern, at least not to any competent manager. " I was paraphrasing what I have been told by the Forrest Service over the years and when I worked for the Forrest Service. The "competent manager" part seems to be an issue way up the chain by your assessment. lol.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
gb

gb
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 am 
The east side snowpack in the Teanaway has resulted in an avalanche that killed two people Saturday. Basically, these are the same weak layers of the previous weekend. They remain more active on the east side because they are buried less deeply. In addition the east side has been colder than the west making the weak layers weaker. NWAC discussion: https://www.nwac.us/avalanche-forecast/current/cascade-east-central/#discussion

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm 
SMR shared this video of yesterday's avalanche @ mcclellan butte: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf4PY5RhxVI/?taken-by=workoutholic2000

gb

gb
PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:05 pm 
With still a good deal of evidence of persistent slabs east of the crest the possibility of triggering a significant slab still exists. Warmer temperatures on Wednesday will make it easier to trigger the persistent slab on that day. Make sure to pay attention to the details in the discussion at www.nwac.us

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am 
Again, another weekend to be careful in routes chosen. Initially, it is much like normal around here with substantial new snow and windslabs. But it warms up rapidly later Saturday and gets very warm aloft Sunday through Tuesday. On the east side where the weak layers are presumably more reactive this will be the first time it has gotten this warm. There should be slabs down to the weak layer especially with the warming. Follow the forecasts www.nwac.us

gb

gb
PostSat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 pm 
Quite frankly, the reports of observations on the NWAC site from Saturday evening combined with the warming make it look quite treacherous.

christensent

christensent
PostSat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 pm 
It's tough right now, it's not super common to have such a deep persistent weak layer in Washington that's been around so long and is so hard to predict. I was up at Rainier today and wanted to ski Nisqually Chute so bad because conditions were amazing, and everything looks so safe. Not an avalanche to be seen on the mountain in the recent snowpack, zero reactivity in the upper snow pack. But there's that lurking danger as much as 5-10 feet deep that's infeasible to even really test for. I feel like people around here just aren't adapted to that way of thinking like people are in regions of the world where this is the common hazard. It's easy to get carried away in these conditions, myself included sometimes! The only truly safe way to play is to not be on slopes that could slide right now.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm 
Final report on the Snow Lake is posted. As is the one from Cottonwood Lake. Both are worth reading, in a sobering way. If you have family who venture into the back country in winter, be it on snowshoe, ski or machine, make them read these as well. Link to reports page. https://www.nwac.us/accidents/accident-reports/ Quote from Snow Lake Report
Quote:
It is clear that both individuals in this incident had more than a passing understanding of the dangers of the route that ended up killing them. They also had knowledge of the most current avalanche forecast and were explicitly and specifically told by parents to avoid all avalanche terrain that afternoon. By all accounts these two young individuals were smart, cautious, and avalanche aware given their ages and experience. And yet, for reasons we will never know, they chose to attempt to climb to Snow Lake Divide on the afternoon of February 25. Perhaps a question that we as a community should be asking is not “what were they thinking?” but more along the lines of: “Why do recreationists of all ages, walks of life, experiences, and modes of travel continue to follow the same route, through the same terrain, during periods of elevated avalanche danger?”

FUN CH

FUN CH
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm 
Quote"Why do recreationists of all ages, walks of life, experiences, and modes of travel continue to follow the same route, through the same terrain, during periods of elevated avalanche danger?” I'm not sure that sentence belongs in a report such as this. I believe it's disrespectful to those who perished. They are not here to speak for themselves. I particularly don't like the way the commercial investigator singles out recreational skiers considering that there are countless commercial guide near-miss accidents that the public has no knowledge of or the lessons learned from those near misses. Also those commercial guided trip near Miss incidents do not not get accurately reported by nwac or included in the nwac annual Avalanche summary. What he describes is not limited to recreational Skiers, and applies to commercially guided trips as well. Maybe when nwac decides to accurately investigate and report near-miss Avalanche incidents that involve their industry partners, these types of incidents will go down. I'd be happy to post the facts to back up what I'm saying. Just ask.

'' what did you dream, it's alright we told we told you what to dream....so welcome to the machine'' David Gilmor (pink floyd)
jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm 
Freeski wrote:
Quote"I particularly don't like the way the commercial investigator singles out recreational skiers considering that there are countless commercial guide near-miss accidents that the public has no knowledge of or the lessons learned from those near misses. Also those commercial guided trip near Miss incidents do not not get accurately reported by nwac or included in the nwac annual Avalanche summary. What he describes is not limited to recreational Skiers, and applies to commercially guided trips as well. Maybe when nwac decides to accurately investigate and report near-miss Avalanche incidents that involve their industry partners, these types of incidents will go down. I'd be happy to post the facts to back up what I'm saying. Just ask.
What does this have to do with anything? Aren’t guided groups recreationists? I interpreted the term recreationists in this context as meaning people recreating in the snow and not some implicit distinction between guided and unguided parties.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:56 pm 
Freeski wrote:
I'd be happy to post the facts to back up what I'm saying. Just ask.
I'm asking. Please be sure to address NWAC's reporting on the recent March 4th incident involving NCH, as well as the January 4th incident involving an NWAC forecaster. Edit: Forget it--I just realized you are the same guy from TAY that is constantly derailing threads to complain about NCH. You are going to turn this thread into a shitshow, and then complain that everyone is conspiring against you.

gb

gb
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
By the way this week and beyond avalanche conditions are once again a concern but for a different and more familiar reason. There will be a fair amount of new snow through the weekend with generally cloudy skies and fairly high freezing levels. This time of year once the deeper snowpack is at the freezing point as it is now up to around 6000' north and 7000' south it is pretty hard to get much freezing at depth. Only Thursday is a cool day and cloudy skies mean no radiational cooling. So a soggy snowpack with any warming by sun or weather systems. Wet avalanches will be the rule with some long runouts due to the wet snow at moderate and lower elevations with fresh windslabs at high elevations. Deeper layers of damp or wet snow will be the clue as to hazard.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 pm 
I really appreciate all the updates gb, thanks. up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm 
I second that gb, thanks for continuing to post. Of course I read NWAC carefully, but you have a way of explaining conditions that's very practical and understandable.