Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > ONP Goats, again
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am 
"OLYMPIA – Four meetings are scheduled in late March to enable northwest Washington residents to learn more about a proposal to move mountain goats from Olympic National Park to the North Cascades during the summers of 2018 and 2019. The public is invited to hear a presentation and speak with representatives of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) during meetings in Sedro Woolley, Darrington, North Bend, and Sultan." https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/mar0618b/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 1:30 pm 
Thanks for posting this. This is very curious! WDFW should have held these meetings a year ago, before the plan was written and released. Now, the public comment period (last August-Sept) is over, the final plan is about to be released and will be implemented this summer without further public input. So I guess it's nice for WDFW to hold public relations meetings. Better late than never, I guess. But would've been nicer to hold them before the plan was written, as part of the NEPA process. Why? Because communication is a two-way street, and they could've gained public input. This PR event is a one-way street: here's what we're going to do. And would've been even nicer if WDFW had helped write the plan - which I can tell you having read it, WDFW clearly didn't as none of their research is in it.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
RodF wrote:
communication is a two-way street, and they could've gained public input. This PR event is a one-way street: here's what we're going to do.
If my experience with MORA is any indication, "public input" is seen as a task box that has to be checked, generally begrudgingly, not as a genuine opportunity to collaborate with the public users of the park.

If not now, when?
RodF

RodF
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
"public input" is seen as a task box that has to be checked
Comment duly noted. ...and ignored p.s. this is a meta-comment... a comment on my comment on your comment, not a comment on your comment, of course! wink.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva