Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > live music thread?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 pm 
Gillian Welch, accompanied as always by David Rawlings, sold out show at the Moore Theater tonight. So, so good! David is a wizard on the guitar, Gillian's voice was perfect. One of the best concerts I've been to. Almost 2 1/2 hours of music. 3 encores. I've seen 2 before, but never 3. Just a magical night. I think the Moore might be my favorite venue in Seattle. Good acoustics in there, everything sounded great.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 am 
Another sold out show at the Moore Theater, this time First Aid Kit. Fantastic! The whole night was great, but the song that really blew the roof off and electrified the crowd...this is just too perfect. First Aid Kit is a duo, 2 sisters from Sweden. They're performing in Seattle...so they did a cover of a song by a band from Seattle, a sister duo...do you see where I'm going with this? You can't ever replicate the original, but they did a hell of a job covering Heart's "Crazy On You." Couldn't really match the guitar intro, but the vocals were amazing. They were really good when they were last in Seattle 4 years ago, but even better now. They were only in their early 20's then, still fairly young now but they've been a band for about a decade. I'm kinda buzzing still. Live music just moves me.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 am 
A very stark contrast for my next show, totally different atmosphere and dynamic in a different venue that is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the last place I was at. At the Show Box tonight, the singer was Lights. Good show, really solid performance. I forgot how bouncy the floor is in the Show Box, it's almost like standing on a trampoline. The age range for the audience for First Aid Kit went from under 10 to 60's and maybe even 70's. Tonight appeared to be mostly 20 somethings, maybe some in their 30's, maybe a few teens (sometimes Show Box is 21 and over but I think I saw it was all ages tonight). Anyway I felt kinda old. It's kinda funny, Lights' music is mostly synth pop, but she let her inner rocker out tonight. The band did too. Electric guitar was more prominent on most of the songs rather than synth or keyboard. I've definitely noticed that phenomenon before. Everybody wants to be a rock star. I could hardly see what was happening on stage at first. I think it needs to be raised a little higher. Eventually the crowd shifted around a bit and I managed to get a good window so I could see the singer and the band. I've never been accused of being tall.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm 
My wife and I managed to snag some of the last remaining tickets to the Beth Hart concert in Spokane last night. Wow, she puts her whole heart and soul into even smaller whistle stop performances. Glad we went!
Beth Hart
Beth Hart

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm 
Saw the Wailin' Jennys at Benaroya Hall last night. Wonderful show as always with them. I think that's the 6th time I've seen them, probably most times I've seen any musician or band.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 pm 
I'm getting ahead of myself, but I just found out Eilen Jewell is playing the Tractor Tavern in June. I've missed her shows a few times since I discovered her, but not this time, I'm going. She's a wonderful non mainstream countryish singer w/ blues and folk influences.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm getting ahead of myself, but I just found out Eilen Jewell is playing the Tractor Tavern in June. I've missed her shows a few times since I discovered her, but not this time, I'm going. She's a wonderful non mainstream countryish singer w/ blues and folk influences.
Just got back from the show, wonderful. I should've gone to see her a long time ago. Haven't been to the Tractor for a while, never disappoints. I did however get a parking ticket, so did at least a half dozen other cars parked in the same area. On Shilsole. The "no parking south of here" sign is absolutely not visible from where I parked. Thanks a lot Ballard and boo to you.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 pm 
As we speak my wife is down in Denver at Red Rocks watching a live concert by Joe Bonamassa with our son and daughter-in-law. Another one of her crazy bucket list items. Hope she enjoys!!
Joe Bonamassa
Joe Bonamassa
Red Rocks
Red Rocks

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm 
Went to ZZ Top at Town Toyota Center in WenWa last Sunday. We had seats at the opposite end from the stage and the sound was terrible. People with seats on the floor said the sound was good. But everyone on the floor were on their feet the whole time. Not a great show. Maybe I was expecting too much. They are in their 70s after all. 🎶

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 pm 
^ I don't imagine it would be quite the same as when they came out onstage at the old "Seattle Arena" with a longhorn steer, a buffalo, a diamondback rattlesnake, and a vulture in 1976. Wild times. Too Slim & the Taildraggers are playing Wednesday August 29 2018 – Jazzbones 6th Avenue no idea about their current lineup or set list. here's one of their oldies from "Blues for EB":

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 pm 
This is kind of related. Saw a snippet in the paper recently, the Showbox (at the Market, not SoDo) is in danger of going bye bye so we can get yet more condos/apartments downtown. I don't go there very often but it's a nice venue. Many musicians with Seattle ties are outraged. There is a movement to get it approved for landmark status (by the developer?) so it might be saved. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi_37Wq0dfcAhVk3IMKHXJOAoIQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.seattletimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Freal-estate%2Fdeveloper-of-seattles-showbox-site-says-it-intends-to-nominate-the-music-hall-for-landmark-status%2F&usg=AOvVaw06xC-tNfhBQxp1akzZGDki

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 pm 
^ I heard something about that on the radio, but wasn't really paying close attention. I've never been there myself, but I know a whole mess of great names have played there.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
^ I don't imagine it would be quite the same as when they came out onstage at the old "Seattle Arena" with a longhorn steer, a buffalo, a diamondback rattlesnake, and a vulture in 1976. Wild times. Holy smokes. That would’ve been awesome.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm 
(corrected again 080618 17:41 PDT) After poking through a couple more Wikipedia entries, it must have been the "Worldwide Texas Tour"... the longhorn steer and the buffalo were on hydraulic flat-bed lift trucks on each side of the stage. When the band came out, they raised the beds on the trucks so the animals were in full view. The steer immediately took a huge dump on the bed of the truck, and the 6-foot-diameter fans on each side of the stage blew the aroma into the audience. We had worked our way up to within about 30 feet of the stage and got the full effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Texas_Tour It was definitely 1976, because I was living in Lacey when we went up there in my Pontiac.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon Aug 06, 2018 5:48 pm 
Thank goodness there wasn’t any splatter from above. Aroma had to be bad enough. Thanks for sharing.