Forum Index > Gear Talk > Waterproof Paper Recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
insanelupus

insanelupus
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 6:18 pm 
I'm needing to print a few items on waterproof paper. Exposure to the elements will be limited but they will be documents I'll have while hiking, etc. I'd also like to print out a couple of custom maps as well. The items will be printed on a laser printer. Has anyone used any of the waterproof papers out there with any luck? I'm looking for a brand recommendation before I make a purchase. Thanks.

"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me. That's all I ask."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ADAHY

ADAHY
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 6:45 pm 
National geographic Adventure paper, the only place i've found it is at REI. 8.5by14" 15 sheets.

" The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
shadetree

shadetree
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 pm 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 7:21 pm 
Rite in the Rain. Used by foresters for eons.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am 
ADAHY wrote:
National geographic Adventure paper, the only place i've found it is at REI. 8.5by14" 15 sheets.
+1 on the NatGeo paper. I've printed nautical charts on the stuff, slipped them under a bungie on my sea kayak with no other protection, and it survived without a blemish. Good stuff. Plus, it doesn't tear. In addition to REI, you can also find it online.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 10:09 am 
I've used NG paper (made by Teslin, branded for NG) for years. Works great, but it's $$ This place sells NG and several less expensive alternatives: waterproof paper.com I plan to try one of those less expensive options.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am 
I'm pretty sure Nat Geo adventure paper is for ink jet printing, not laser printing. Nope, ink jet only: "Please note: Not recommended for laser printers." (from the Nat Geo website) Follow Steve's link, it has waterproof laser paper. up.gif Hmm, here's something weird: at the National Geographic store, they say ink jet only. But at Steve's link, it says ink or laser. So I thought the people whose name is on it probably know best. But if you look closely at the actual package shown in Steve's link, it say "ink and laser compatible" right on the package. Nat Geo must have updated their product but not their website, or maybe there are two versions of the product. confused.gif

mike

mike
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
Paper is paper, ink is ink. Two different things. Seems like both would have to be waterproof. My pigment ink printer is pretty good but expensive /copy. Dye not so good. Never tried the b&w laser printer on waterproof paper. If I am going for the spendy paper I want color.

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm 
I really like the Nat Geo paper. Takes the color inks from my Canon inkjet printer quite well. Very waterproof - I found a map from a previous hike in the pocket of my pants after it went thru the washer and dryer. No damage. At all.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 pm 
mike wrote:
Paper is paper, ink is ink. Two different things. Seems like both would have to be waterproof.
Some things aren't what they seem. Nat Geo adventure paper does not require special ink, waterproof or not, just regular ink jet printer ink. The polymer on the paper allows the ink to pass through due to the solvent used in ink, but repels water. It works perfectly. 100% waterproof. Take your maps into the shower with you, no problem. BTW, thanks for letting us know paper is a different thing from ink. embarassedlaugh.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 am 
I've used both laser and jet for NG paper and both have worked and been waterproof. YMMV

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm 
Reviving old thread. It appears that National Geographic Adventure Paper is "no longer available" -- at least at REI. One of the alternate products linked in this thread was for "Puffin Paper", available in either 8 or 10 mil thickness. Anyone try this? The link says it works for both Ink Jet or Laser printing. Good quality color prints? As sturdy as the Nat Geo Adventure Paper? A paper that REI now sells is "Rite in the Rain All-Weather Letter Copier and Laser Paper". It's about the same price as the old Adventure Paper. Anyone have experience with this? The web site for this paper specifically says "Not for Ink Jet printing", but I wonder whether this rules out the big commercial color printers like at Kinkos or CostCo, etc.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm 
I switched to 10mil iGage weatherproof paper a few years ago. Less expensive than Adventure Paper and works as well. Available per your link, $36 for 50 pages or Amazon Prime for $37 (free shipping w/Prime). I print both sides when possible. I'll likely try Rite in the Rain paper, 200 pages for $29. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it and can compare to Adventure Paper or iGage.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 pm 
I've never felt a need for waterproof paper in the 76 years I've been backpacking. I take plain old paper inside a gallon ziplock bag. In the morning, I refold my map so the day's trip is face up. If it's raining, I do this in the tent.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
I've never felt a need for waterproof paper in the 76 years I've been backpacking. I take plain old paper inside a gallon ziplock bag.
I tried this exact thing last summer (plain paper in a gallon ziplock), thinking the waterproof paper I had used previously was overkill. It was a damp trip and, despite my efforts to be careful, after 5-6 days, with the necessary refolding and dampness sneaking inside my bag, the plain paper was practically unusable. Not worth the risk, given how important a map can be! One of the big advantages of these synthetic papers is that, in addition to being impervious to water, that they are far more durable than regular paper. Well worth the 80 cents a page.