Forum Index > Trail Talk > Peaks to scramble/hike with kids?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woodchips

woodchips
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 pm 
Hi all, I'm looking to do some easy/moderate peaks this year with my kids (ideally more scramble/off trail than on trail.) They're experienced hikers (aged 4 and 7) who can do 5-8 mile days with some elevation, and get lots of backcountry nights in every year, but we've mostly done backpacking and paddling trips so far. I'd love to hear some suggestion on peaks or ridge walks - day trips or longer backpacking objectives are both possibilities. Ideally, we're looking for class 2 or easy class 3, and without crowds. We regularly do off trail stuff, and sometimes bring a little bit of rope to set up as a handline. We're located in Bellingham, so Mt Baker Highway is our home area, but Manning Park, Pasayten, Twisp River Road, HWY 20, Mt Loop and Olympics are all good as well. Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 pm 
It's further south than your listed target areas, but the Teanaway is a peak baggers paradise. Anything from walk ups to technical climbs. One particularly good possibility could be a two for one by Bean Creek Basin. Earl Peak is really easy, almost a walk up, then you can do a cool ridge traverse over to Bean Peak and I think probably a class 3 scramble on solid rock to the summit. Descend to into the basin instead of retracing you steps back toward Earl. The crux might be crossing the creek near the beginning of the trail. Runs high early in the season but it's an easy step across later in the year. Other potential targets in the Teanaway include Iron, Mary's/Judy's Peaks, South Ingalls, Navaho...probably some more.

woodchips

woodchips
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
Thanks! I’ve really enjoyed the couple trips I’ve done up the Teanaway, but I always have assumed it’s pretty popular being located so close to I90. Maybe some of these spots are getting off the beaten path?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 pm 
Ingalls Lake is the most heavily traveled trail in that area. Any given day you might encounter some other parties on those peaks, but you might have them to yourself too I would think. There are so many options in a fairly small area that it spreads the traffic out probably.

woodchips

woodchips
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 6:28 am 
Thanks - I guess that my trips up there have been to climb Ingalls Peak (via Ingalls lake,) which was busy. The only other trip I’ve done up there was Cathedral Rock, and we didn't see anyone... Nice area.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Mar 18, 2018 6:49 pm 
The Passayten is full of class 2 peaks, great high alpine scenery and almost no people. Check out Remmel Mountain and surrounding peaks. Great area for larches in late September.