Forum Index > Gear Talk > Waterproof Paper Recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm 
I use cheap paper + cheap ink + a laminator

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I'll likely try Rite in the Rain paper, 200 pages for $29. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used it and can compare to Adventure Paper or iGage.
website wrote:
NOT FOR INKJET PRINTERS.
frown.gif

ofuros

ofuros
PostSun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 am 
If it's a map I need printed, its usually done on tyvek...rip & water resistant. For jotting down notes...Field Notes Expedition, small, durable & waterproof.

...always dreaming of far off adventures. https://ofuros.exposure.co/
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am 
I laminated for years and used plastic bags for years. Waterproof map paper is better.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 12:54 pm 
Rites in the Rain is the local favorite. It’s made in Tacoma.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Rites in the Rain is the local favorite. It’s made in Tacoma.
Yeah, but it doesn't work with inkjet printers

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm 
They make it for laser printers and ink jet printers, you just have to get the right stuff…

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm 
Jaberwock wrote:
They make it for laser printers and ink jet printers, you just have to get the right stuff…
Link? I've looked through all the WP paper on the Rite in the Rain website and AFAICT, all of them are laser only and "NOT FOR INK-JET PRINTERS." (All caps in original)

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:41 pm 
This thread inspired me to order a pack of Rite-in-the-Rain paper. Fortunately, I have a color laser printer so they are just what I need. Color laser printers are not all that expensive these days. I've been using plain paper maps for the better part of 50 years and I've never had any trouble keeping them dry, even under the worst conditions. But I think adding another layer of safety is definitely a good idea.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm 
FYI, this site (waterproofpaper.com) (just to be clear, although already linked above) sells iGage, Rite in the Rain, and Puffin paper -- all three of the papers discussed. Of these, this seller says that Puffin is their best-seller and the paper they use themselves and they say it works in laser or ink-jet printers. Note the prices I mention below are all for 8.5x11 paper in the 10 mil thickness, which is more or less equivalent to 24# paper (8 mil is more like 20#). I like the 10 mil stuff because it's a bit sturdier and has zero show-through when printing double-sided. Not sure how the 8 mil stuff would compare. Based on the slightly lower price, the fact they explicitly say it works with laser or ink-jet, and it is the seller's favorite, I ordered the Puffin paper and printed some color topo maps on it (using a big Canon color laser printer at FedEx/Kinkco's) and they turned out great! I tried scratching the printing off with a fingernail and it didn't budge. The laser-printing also appears to be waterproof. The paper sells 50 sheets for $34 [<--corrected]. I compared it to some Adventure paper I still have and can't tell a difference except the old Adventure paper is slowly turning a little bit yellow. Also, you can write on it with a plain ball-point pen just fine. Pencil doesn't work so well, although you can make a faint pencil mark. They claim the iGage paper is also both laser and ink-jet compatible. It sells 50 sheets for $36, so it's only a couple dollars more than Puffin. Lastly, their Rite in the Rain paper is described as a regular paper (I took this as meaning wood-based) with a water-resistant coating. Although the above link doesn't comment on this, the Rite in the Rain website specifically says it is NOT for ink jet printers and I could not find any of their other papers where it says they are ink jet-compatible. However, if you're printing on a commercial quality printer (like at Kinko's), chances are they're using a color laser so it's probably only an issue for home ink-jet printers. The above link says it is NOT tear resistant and not as water resistant as Puffin or iGage paper. BUT, it is cheaper, selling 50 sheets for $15. For me, tear-resistance is a big deal, so that alone is enough for me to rule this stuff out. (I have maps printed on the old plastic-based Adventure paper that are years old that have been folded and refolded and still in perfect shape).

mike

mike
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 1:39 pm 
Near as I can tell the inkjet printers are not recommended because most use dye-based, i.e. water soluble inks. Pigment inks probably work just fine. I have retired my pigment ink printer but maybe I should try to clean the nozzles and see what happens.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm 
Thanks for the beta, Navy Salad. I can vouch for iGage with HP ink-jet printers. It's great stuff. I've printed hundreds of double sided maps on it, never a problem, maps last indefinitely without fading IME, 100% waterproof.

hatchetation

hatchetation
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 pm 
ofuros wrote:
If it's a map I need printed, its usually done on tyvek...rip & water resistant.
What do you use to print on Tyvek? A commercial service? Laser printing is apparently a recipe for disaster, and everything I've read says you need a high-solvent non-water based ink for inkjet printing.

ofuros

ofuros
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 5:00 am 
Yes it's a commercial service, not sure of the details though...I'll ask next time I'm in there, but don't hold your breath for a answer. wink.gif You can actually place a rock in all 4 corners, hold your breath & read the map underwater if you wish biggrin.gif ...makes no difference to the print medium or tyvek.

...always dreaming of far off adventures. https://ofuros.exposure.co/