Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 am 
"We Don't Belong Here." Worth watching for me because of several good performances and a strong cast. Anton Yelchin (RIP, not sure how many more films of his are going to be released posthumously), Catherine Keener, Kaitlyn Dever, Riley Keough, several others. Movie deals with mental illness. Not an easy or fun watch. Was hard to tell at times what was and wasn't actually happening. But again worthwhile IMO because of the performances. Two of the actresses sang in the movie, it was actually them according to the credits, and they had beautiful voices. Both caught me off guard. Dever and Keough (Elvis Presley's granddaughter, so maybe shouldn't be too surprising).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm 
Hurricane Heist is a fun so-bad-its-good action flick! I think I'd describe it as a combination between "Die Hard" and "The Day after Tomorrow", and it's every bit as ridiculous as that sounds! Highly recommended if you're in the mood for an crazy 80's style action flick. up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 28, 2018 3:06 pm 
I was looking forward to the new "Jumanji" movie w/ Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart and Karen Gillan. While it was fairly entertaining it fell a bit flat for me. The novelty of the actors being avatars for an eclectic group of high school kids whose personas were wildly different than their avatars wore off probably half way thru, then it was just redundant. I feel similarly to this as I did "Jurassic World;" while it was okay I am flabbergasted that it took in over $400 million at the box office. Why?! Anyway Gillan was by far my favorite part of the movie. She needs to be in more movies.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Mar 28, 2018 3:22 pm 
With some trepidation I watched the third (and hopefully last) Pitch Perfect. The trailers didn't do anything for me, but I still had to check it out. Overall it was enjoyable enough, had some of the elements you'd expect from the franchise. I like most of the characters and there was the usual banter, a capella puns and singing. Not surprisingly the film centered mostly on Rebel Wilson and Anna Kendrick's Fat Amy and Becca characters. I can barely tolerate Fat Amy, she's just too much, so that's a big detraction for me. In this film there was a bizarre sub plot where she's suddenly a ninja (sure, why not?) and it was like a James Bond spoof or something. It was like there was an entirely different movie within a Pitch Perfect movie, I thought it didn't fit and it was jarring. Outside the main two they tried to squeeze in Aubrey and Chloe, and then everybody else was basically just there. Hailee Steinfield is probably the biggest star out of the whole cast at this point, but her Emily character was given fairly little to do. Of course they kept up the running gag of nobody knows or cares who Jessica and Ashley are. They wrote one of the original Bellas out of the story early on w/ a pregnancy. All boyfriends from previous movies were completely absent. For fans of the previous movies it's probably still worth watching but I think they've exhausted all possibilities and hopefully don't try to make any more movies about the Bellas.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 pm 
"The Limehouse Golem" is a gothic murder mystery/psychological thriller. I wouldn't call it horror, but it has some gory violence. Twisty, keeps throwing you false leads on who the killer might be. The twist at the end...let's say I did not appreciate it. Maybe doesn't ruin the movie, but detracted from it. I was thoroughly enjoying it right up til then. Bill Nighy is excellent as always, he was the lead detective. Olivia Cooke (the title character from Me and Earl and the Dying Girl) was also very good. Worth a watch, especially if you like gritty grimy period pieces set in England.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm 
Really enjoyed Isle of Dogs note this is a Wes Anderson film and may not be for everyone. Set in Japan with definite Japanese influences. Not really a kids film in spite of stop motion animation. Well developed characters.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"The Revenant"...so many awards, much ado about nothing as far as I could tell. It was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too long. Indulgent film making at its worst. Easily could've shaved 30-45 minutes off the running time and not lost anything. I think DiCaprio has been better in some of his previous roles. I found it rather dull for the most part. Brutally violent in a few short stretches.
Finally watched this last night and would totally agree. Not to mention all the times someone went in the water with snow all around and took it in stride as if it were a tepid hot spring.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 29, 2018 8:03 pm 
Yeah, much of The Revenant was cartoonish, as in cartoon characters who get flattened, exploded or otherwise destroyed, then pop up like nothing happened

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 pm 
Just saw Ready Player One and absolutely loved it! Highly recommended.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 12:38 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Loved the book. Contemplating checking it out at the theater (would definitely watch it on DVD). Previews are underwhelming to me.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 6:39 am 
I hadn't read the book, and only had the promo to go on. Like you I wasn't that keen on seeing it initially, and had pretty low expectations going in. I think I ended up having more fun watching this one than I did Black Panther.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I hadn't read the book, and only had the promo to go on. Like you I wasn't that keen on seeing it initially, and had pretty low expectations going in. I think I ended up having more fun watching this one than I did Black Panther.
up.gif Thanks for that. I enjoyed Black Panther but thought it was a bit overblown.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 6:24 pm 
Ready Player One a fun ride excellent special effects and exciting to the end. Read the book a year ago or so. The film did not have as much of social critique as the book and the games were more action oriented than intellectual challenge, but it is only a Movie after all. Not as dark as many of Spielberg’s more recent films.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm 
Watched "Justice League." I had really low expectations going into it, so it was actually a bit better than I anticipated (damning w/ faint praise?). So many new characters, they didn't really do much back story on them but they had to do a little. Created some pacing problems. Some bad CGI as expected. There is a decent amount of acting talent on hand, some of it in very small throw away roles. The main villain was fairly meh, but that's been a problem w/ many of the superhero movies. DC is just so far behind Marvel w/ their cinematic universe, they are desperately trying to play catch up but are mangling it badly so far.

mike

mike
PostFri Apr 06, 2018 3:53 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
ditto.gif up.gif It's a hoot!