Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
up.gif There's one in the old back yard that I was never aware of

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:05 pm 
Very neat. Was just wondering about that road the other day. Thanks for sharing.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 pm 
This lookout/artifact hunt was a lot of fun. Thanks! up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 pm 
There used to be a Ranger Station on the Index-Galena road a couple of miles east of Index. I'm not sure when they closed it, perhaps in the early 80's. It came to mind one day as I was driving through there and I realized I hadn't seen it in a while.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 pm 
Very interesting, good for you guys to be able to locate that spot. There is a rough trail that traverses above the washout that is a little easier to use during times of high water. It had some blow downs across it a year ago, and when we met one of the locals walking across it with a chainsaw, we assumed he might have trimmed a few to make our return easier. Not so, nothing had changed, probably because he didn’t want to make it easier for vandals to use it to get to his property on the other side. On a related note, last fall when we went up Mineral Butte, we noticed a large crane parked at the Howard Creek Bridge, maybe a sign that a first step was being taken toward the road repair.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
On a related note, last fall when we went up Mineral Butte, we noticed a large crane parked at the Howard Creek Bridge, maybe a sign that a first step was being taken toward the road repair.
The schedule for Index-Galena Road says the project will be advertised for construction in Fall 2018 with construction to begin in Spring 2019 (pending permits). https://snohomishcountywa.gov/624/Index-Galena-Rd---MP-64-69-Index-TBD

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm 
Thanks for the update, Windstorm. Honestly, I don’t care if they ever re-open the road, because it will just make some of my most treasured areas more vulnerable to obsessive overuse.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Honestly, I don’t care if they ever re-open the road, because it will just make some of my most treasured areas more vulnerable to obsessive overuse.
Good point! Suiattle Road & Mountain Loop and N Cascade Highways, too! Except maybe Mt. Si and Mailbox Peak might be overused... but we could close I-90, too. Here, Dosewallips, Olympic Hot Springs and Staircase Roads being closed isn't enough to keep peeple out... maybe closing Hood Canal, Tacoma Narrows, Elwha and Hoh Bridges would do it? That'd cut down the attendance on WTA work parties, but we wouldn't need trails if there were few hikers wanting to use them. I don't want to appear selfish, of course. Oh, no shakehead.gif I want to appear noble! "The defining aspect of Wilderness is that it remain untrammeled. By law, we are to allow Wilderness to be self-willed, shaped by natural processes, not controlled or manipulated by human goals and desires." - Wilderness Watch. My solitude takes precedence over your recreation. - Wilderness Watch After all, as Eric, Redwic and Paul show here, can't find no place near Index untrammelled by swarms of peeple, right?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:54 pm 
Aw, Rod F, quit pickin' on me.😊It's true, there's plenty of places I can go within half an hour of my house up in the Sultan Basin and not see a soul once I get past the target shooters. I just feel bad for insanely trashed once-beautiful places like Blanca Lake which are only valued because they make a nice selfie backdrop.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 5:06 am 
It's been interesting watching nature reclaim the area that was one the road. I've hiked it frequently since it closed. I love the culvert, and "sidewalk throught the sky" portion where concrete barriers make for good pathways. (Fun when you can take the washout direct) I personally can't wait for the road to reopen. Thanks for you continually interesting reports. Digging the few from close to home lately. Even if you are blowing up my dog walking spots. wink.gif I searched your site in the past, but couldn't find it. Have you been to the Lorraine Pointe look out? It's at the headwaters of the icicle river/near Stevens pass? Looked around for it once with no luck.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 am 
Thanks for the reality check, guys. Very well said, Eric. Another good example of nature recovering is actually right behind my property where there was a Japanese Internment Camp. Except for old historical photographs, no one would ever know. Yesterday after spending the afternoon up at Heybrook Lookout listening to two gals shrieking at each other while taking photos of each other doing yoga poses for over an hour I was reminded that I need to just walk a little further. wink.gif

RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 am 
Nancyann wrote:
Yesterday after spending the afternoon up at Heybrook Lookout listening to two gals shrieking at each other while taking photos of each other doing yoga poses for over an hour I was reminded that I need to just walk a little further. wink.gif
Remember, this is our future. rolleyes.gif

RodF

RodF
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Aw, Rod F, quit pickin' on me.😊It's true, there's plenty of places I can go within half an hour of my house up in the Sultan Basin and not see a soul once I get past the target shooters. I just feel bad for insanely trashed once-beautiful places like Blanca Lake which are only valued because they make a nice selfie backdrop.
You're quite right. I must apologize and agree with you. And carry out a trash bag whenever I visit such a lake. (And help BCHW apply for and get a USFS grant to dig latrines at such lakes. We can accomodate visitation, rather than trying to eliminate it. LNT = leave no toilet paper!)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Mar 22, 2018 4:45 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
ale_capone wrote:
Have you been to the Lorraine Pointe look out?
I have not, but I'm looking to do it as a long loop hike combining it with the French Ridge lookout site. Some maps show a trail from the French Ridge lookout down into Cultin Creek...reaching the base of the switchbacks up to Lake Lorraine Point. I'm hoping the trail is still there and not covered in fire deadfall or else the 25 mile day will be really long.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if you did, and I just couldn't find it on your site. We went up Lorraine point from tye mill road on the backside of Stevens. Up the pct, down the icicle, and up lorraine. I forget the specifics. Wasn't long ago, and it wasn't problematic. Access road was the crux of the day. I think it might take someone with your skill to find the lookout. Summit area is kind of rolly with a few possible spots. There was Another structure marked on the map where you cross the icicle. We couldn't find it either. I've seen the trail from French on the map, but have never heard anything about it. Thanks for your efforts, and sharing. I love history, and dig how you intertwine it into your reports.