Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey offers Super Ultralight Packs Spring 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am 
texasbb wrote:
There's nothing subjective about WP/Breathable...nonexistent is nonexistent. smile.gif
Sort of like Gore-tex liners in boots keeping your feet dry. For me (and lots of other people) it just makes them instantly wet from sweating. The best way to keep my feet dry in dry weather is to wear shoes with some kind of mesh uppers. In wet or slushy conditions I am pretty much resigned to wet feet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 pm 
I know people love them, but I never found any osprey bags comfortable to me, but maybe this one will be different

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 am 
Prefer ULA or if money is no object McHale.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 6:12 pm 
I happened to be in Arlberg Sports in Wenatchee today and tried on a sub two pound Osprey Levity 60 medium backpack. I liked the way it rode on my back and the feel of the shoulder and hit belts. The build and material seemed a bit delicate and flimsy. And, the hip and shoulder strap pockets are missing. But it is lite for a 60 liter pack (1.95 lbs)!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 pm 
Gear Junkie just did a live video review of the backpack while hiking and thought the pack was nice, but durability is still to be determined there are some good alternatives out there like the MLD Prophet, HMG Southwestern, and my current girlfriend the UD Fastpack 45L at 1 lb. 10 oz., a few have suggested sticking with the Exos series, but they seemed to have gained a little weight. I just recently looked at the Six Moon Designs Flight 30 which is a preorder but that pack looks really nice.

Living in the Anthropocene
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 pm 
I don't think I would ever want/or need a 60L pack but it was the only one they had in stock (and they just got it yesterday). Adam down there told me the main shipment will be coming in in shortly and will include different sizes. The HMG Southwest has been my main pack for years and it used to be sub two pound. But every time I walk by my sewing machine my hand starts twitching and I feel the need to create another add-on so I am not sure it is even a liteweight pack any longer!

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:23 pm 
with claims like that you gotta come in quite a bit lighter than 1.9lbs shakehead.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 pm 
I did get down to the gear store selling the new packs very light and would probably be ok for trail hiking a light pack needs light gear to maximize it’s benefit but I doubt it would challenge the current pecking order of UL packs they could do better but cottage packs don’t have the established footprint or marketing Osprey has so this pack will probably do well overall. Hopefully they make improvemts in version 2.0

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
they could do better but cottage packs don’t have the established footprint or marketing Osprey has so this pack will probably do well overall
The advantage with a standard gear makers vs cottage industry is you can actually go down and try it on. Osprey in particular has that ALLMighty guarantee as well. Sending packs back and forth to cottage gear makers is a PITA. Many people settle for packs that don't work for them just for that reason. For instance, I discovered that ULA packs just don't work for me. I really wanted it to but it would not. Fortunately I was borrowing a friends ULA pack and did not have to spend time and money to discover that for myself. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 pm 
Looks pretty good. Although once you've gone McHale its hard to look at anything else. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Looks pretty good. Although once you've gone McHale its hard to look at anything else. hockeygrin.gif
🤔After all these years I have to believe your getting kick backs from them !

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
🤔After all these years I have to believe your getting kick backs from them !

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 am 
Tried on the new Levity and Exos 45 yesterday and thought the Exos felt more comfortable. It’s hard to embrace a 2lb. 8 oz. pack after wearing a 1lb. 8oz. pack in the similarly designed Zpacks Arcblast.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Tried on the new Levity and Exos 45 yesterday and thought the Exos felt more comfortable. It’s hard to embrace a 2lb. 8 oz. pack after wearing a 1lb. 8oz. pack in the similarly designed Zpacks Arcblast.
something I really like about my Zpacks Arc Haul is that one can eliminate the "arc" if one needs the pack to be more securely strapped to one's back. The "arc" is great when walking down a nice trail, keeps my back cooler and is very comfortable, but is a little loosy-goosy for off trail scrambling (why I got the zip version - no mesh to get caught in the brush). Easy solution; release the "arc" and maybe alter the torso length a little and now one has a more standard framed backpack that is very close to one's back...at 1.5lbs...actually with the add ons I have it's closer to 2lbs. With the Osprey one can not release the "arc" - it is permanent, the pack will always be off the back on a trampoline with the center of gravity away from one's body. I like the versatility as there is usually a good bit of trail hiking before one starts the off trail explorations. The adjustments are simple and easy. My biggest issue with the Osprey Levity and Exos is the torso length doesn't work for me, even the large is too short and forces the weight onto my shoulders. I got the tall version of the zpacks, fits just exactly perfect with room to spare...and I'm 5'11". I use an Osprey Atmos AG50 if I need to be a 40lb hauling Sherpa. My backpack evolution has been Camptrails Catskill->North Face Snow Leopard->Gregory Baltoro 75->Osprey AG50->Zpacks Arc Haul. I learned to carry far less crap by shrinking the size of my packs until I was ready for an ultra lite pack. I don't plan on doing any thru hiking, just regional 5-7 night adventurers.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 pm 
I've been going hard on the trails with my exos 58. Allows me to push miles with no pain! And the orange black checkered straps give off that Cincinnati Bengals chad ocho cinco vibe.