Forum Index > Gear Talk > InReach Fail? - The Roaming Dials
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am 
Jeff, if you want to message then the Inreach is a great way to go, very helpful when I change my trip plans as I did last week. That being said, if you just want a beacon it's hard to beat ACR that cranks out 5 watts. I own both but just carry the older version yellow Inreach, works very well, glad to hear no issues with the new models

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:15 pm 
I just tested my old style Delorme Inreach Explorer and observed the same as in the video (SOS that can be discarded). I locked and unlocked the device a few times to check if it is really properly locked, and the pressure needed seems to vary a bit. It's definitely a lot of pressure, and for my device could only happen with something pointing exactly in the button with a lot of tension. It's definitely surprising, but doesn't seem like a problem if packed how I would normally pack a headlamp, phone, GPS etc. Good to read that the lock now presumably totally works in the latest device.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 pm 
Sounds like results may vary as to whether the SE SOS can be activated with the safety switch properly set. It is a great product in my experience. I have not tested my older device and do not plan to. Simple precautions are warranted either way. As I said, I put a small piece of removable packing tape over the switch and SOS button and never cram it in a tight spot when packing. I highly endorse this product.

shoutdiggity

shoutdiggity
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 pm 
Damian, You are correct that results vary--from the discussion online, information from friends, and personally testing many of the devices I've found a spectrum of results from trying to trigger an SOS with the lock switch engaged. Some will trigger very easily, some with quite a bit of pressure, and some not at all. When mine triggered, it was not crammed in tight, and I don't think packing tape would have caused much difference in whether it set off an SOS or not. It does not require much pressure to trigger, and I am not alone in this particular device. I do think simple precautions are warranted, but the company needs to let the consumer know that "locked" doesn't actually mean locked, and the variation in pressure to trigger is inexcusable. I think the product offers a great service as well, but I am feeling extremely burned by Garmin/Delorme. Part of the problem here is that some people are having a great experience with the product, however, when people are also ending up in helicopters because of a design flaw--and this is very much a design flaw--that speaks very poorly of a company that is supposedly offering a "lifesaving" device. Garmin/Delorme is not being honest and is not backing up their product whatsoever. It needs to be very clear to all in how to pack these things and modify them with a guard--these precautions are not intuitive and need to be spelled out. Instead, here is what the Quick Start Guide says: SOS Button Lock • In an emergency, slide the SOS button lock to the left to unlock the SOS. To avoid triggering a false alarm, make sure your SOS slider is locked. Slide left to unlock and slide right until you HEAR IT CLICK to lock it! If you do not HEAR IT CLICK, then the SOS is not locked. This very clearly indicates having the lock switch in place is enough of a simple precaution and extra caution is not necessary--this claims the lock prevents the device from triggering an SOS which is simply not true. I would recommend all users to use caution with these devices, including testing the SOS button to see how sensitive it is to accidental triggering.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:46 pm 
shoutdiggity wrote:
Slide left to unlock and slide right until you HEAR IT CLICK to lock it! If you do not HEAR IT CLICK, then the SOS is not locked.[/b]
After reading this I slid my SOS lock to the unlock and lock position several times with my ear near the device so I could hear it click to lock. The lock did click each time. Then I re-tested it by pressing hard on the SOS button with the power off and button locked. And again, after about 10-15 seconds of hard pressing it powered on and initiated an SOS alert (giving me 20 seconds to cancel). I am sort of with Damian on this issue. It appears there is a problem but now I am aware of it so I can take appropriate action. In the meanwhile, it is such a great device I will continue to use it and plan on getting the new model with a better locking system when this one dies. But, I appreciate the effort people are making to inform Garmin and the user community of the issue.

canadug

canadug
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 1:29 pm 
Tested my 3 InReach SE and it only took FIVE seconds of pressure on locked SOS button to activate the SOS! No where in their manual does it state that this should happen. They should be notifying all customers and they should stand behind their product. I live in Canada and have sent Garmin/Delorme an email expressing my concerns and their need to notify all customers of this and to rectify the problem.

PeaksAndValleys

PeaksAndValleys
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 am 
Wow, that's good to know. Thanks for posting this! I just purchased a brand new Delorme inReach Explorer for half the price of the Garmin inReach Explorer. With the unit turned off and the lock button locked... only 5 seconds of normal/moderate pressure on the SOS button caused the unit to power on and begin a 20 second countdown to sending a SOS message. I had to scramble to cancel the sending of the SOS. It took a couple of frenzied button pushes to cancel sending the SOS and if I didn't have reading glasses on I might not have been able to cancel in time. The sliding lock gizmo is also very easy to slide to unlock. It slides easily and there is no "click." I've had tape over the slide but might consider something more robust or possibly a donut of ShoeGoo around the SOS button to make it harder to hit SOS inadvertently. A modified neoprene case might also prevent accidentally depressing the SOS button. Garmin has offered firmware updates for the Delorme units so perhaps they can at least give users more time to cancel the SOS? I see there have been many discussions about the inReach. Would it be okay if I started a thread specifically for "tips and tricks" for using the inReach?

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 pm 
Been using mine for years and carried it for about 500 miles, never had an accidental trigger.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 25, 2017 9:15 am 
On my Delorme you have to push the switch pretty hard to get it to click into the locked position. In fact, prior to this thread I thought mine had no click. I still keep it taped.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm 
Andrew Skurka posted this today, thought I'd share..

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 am 
FWIW, my c. 2014 inReach SE does not have that problem

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 pm