Forum Index > Trip Reports > Calcite Mine & Slots, 02.16.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 2:54 pm 
I'd just been to Calcite Mine 3 mos. earlier w/my group, but this time it was an opportunity to go w/the state park peeps & learn more detail about the optical properties of calcite. Once again I was one of the few locals on the hike, & there were an overwhelming # of people from WA & Canada who were visiting the area temporarily in order to escape the cold/wet of the great white north. embarassedlaugh.gif We met in the AM @ the trailhead off of S-22 east of B.S. It was sunny, a little chilly, & super windy. eek.gif
Sign @ TH
Sign @ TH
We dropped down the dirt rd. to the north from the hwy., then proceeded to take the usual route that goes up a slot paralleling the rd. It was very similar to the rt. my group took in Nov. except that we didn't do the little side wash that had a semi-sketch dry waterfall. The leader, Ted, was familiar w/that waterfall & he said it wasn't really suitable for the public. It's a good thing, b/c some people struggled a bit w/the dry falls we already went up. hmmm.gif
Lizard
Lizard
Slot
Slot
Slot
Slot
Old mining camp area
Old mining camp area
Desert tobacco
Desert tobacco
Ted holds a lizard
Ted holds a lizard
Chuckwalla
Chuckwalla
Chuckwalla
Chuckwalla
Heart-leafed primrose
Heart-leafed primrose
@ the mine Ted did some demonstrations w/the calcite, we took a break, then did a little side trip over to an overlook in upper Palm Wash. We then walked back via the rd. the whole way back to the cars. hink.gif
5.5 mi. RT
5.5 mi. RT
Route
Route
I headed to Carmelita's for lunch/dinner, then to my usual camp spot in the park as I had a Canyoneer hike the following morning so it made no sense to drive all the way home & back again in such a short period of time. dizzy.gif
Post-hike margarita
Post-hike margarita
Nests in the cholla
Nests in the cholla
Nests in the cholla
Nests in the cholla
Morteros
Morteros
Morteros
Morteros
Camp
Camp
Juniper
Juniper

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message