Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 6:30 pm 
Saw “The Death of Stalin” today on a rainy day. Very dark comedy about the events around Stalin’s death. Not for many who are squeamish. Excellent comedic acting by character actors. Directed by creator of The Veep TV show. Many laughs but some may not find funny due to subject matter. up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm 
The Purpose of a Dog We just rented this somewhat obscure movie. If this doesn't tug your heartstrings and bring a tear to your eye, then you either have no heartstrings or you are definitely only a cat person, or maybe not a pet person in general. Surprisingly awesome movie!

friluftsliv
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 pm 
I had "Life of a King" recommended to me quite a while ago, finally saw it. Very good. up.gif Cuba Gooding, Jr. seems to be a forgotten man in Hollywood but he's a talented actor. In this he plays a man just released after 17 years in prison for armed robbery. He has some struggles adjusting to life on the outside but becomes a mentor and positive influence in the lives of some of the high school kids in his neighborhood. He starts a chess club, but he is really teaching them about life, not how to play a game. Highly recommend. Based on a true story.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pm 
Wow, "Molly's Game" was way better than I expected. Fantastic. Jessica Chastain and Idris Elba both were great (as the namesake character and her lawyer), Kevin Costner was really good in a small role as Molly's father. If you don't know anything about it, Molly Bloom was a former Olympic hopeful skiier who had a major injury during the Olympics trials. She went to LA for a little down time before starting law school, one thing led to another and eventually she was running one of the most high profile, high stakes poker games in the world. Eventually it all came crashing down and the Feds came after because they thought she had critical information about several Russian mobsters. Highly recommend. up.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Saw “The Death of Stalin” today on a rainy day. Very dark comedy about the events around Stalin’s death. Not for many who are squeamish. Excellent comedic acting by character actors. Directed by creator of The Veep TV show. Many laughs but some may not find funny due to subject matter. up.gif up.gif
And also the director of "In the Loop", a drooling at the mouth funny movie about the Iraq war/WMD. Yes, it's a comedy. . . warning, there is some rather strong language in here. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
"The Hitman's Bodyguard" is very violent, but it's just an endless string of evil henchmen, there doesn't seem to be an real consequence to the violence, and some of it is even played off as comedic. Entertaining movie. Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson worked well off of each other. And Sam and Salma Hayek seemed to be having a contest to see who could drop the most F bombs. I think it was a draw.
I saw this yesterday and thought it was great! Very entertaining action/comedy and, as you said, the two leads played well off each other. There are two chase sequences in the second half of the move, seemingly 'just' thrown in there because they come out of nowhere, that are fantastic, and must have required a lot of work to put together. The first one of these, involving speeding cars, a motorcycle and a motorboat, is as good as anything in a James Bond movie. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 pm 
Funny, Dr Strange was one of the few I found tolerable!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm 
That looks great! On the list now.
Malachai Constant wrote:

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 9:25 am 
Got talked into watching Jumanji:Welcome to the Jungle against my better judgement. It was sort of what I expected but actually pretty entertaining for empty cinema calories. I did not expect Duane Johnson (The Rock) to be able to act...he is pretty damned funny. His character is a 14 year old socially awkward geek and he digs into the role with relish and has a lot of fun with it. Jack Black as a vain blonde instagram teen missing her phone but trapped in an overweight middle aged man's body is also hilarious.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:26 pm 
"Daddy's Home 2" was definitely in the category of dumb comedy, but I got some good laughs out of it, found it to be entertaining. If you liked the first one, worth watching, if you didn't like the first one, avoid.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I did not expect Duane Johnson (The Rock) to be able to act...he is pretty damned funny.
Yes, he is. He's been in a LOT of really dumb movies and appears to be typecast as nothing more than an action hero archetype but he comes across as very entertaining. Not sure if it's still on as I never got into it and only watched three episodes, (no fault of his) but his role in an HBO series about a promoter trying to bring an NFL team to Las Vegas did what I thought was a good job of showcasing his ability to act in something other than the action-hero mold. Hopefully he'll get some better roles in the future, as Sylvester Stallone managed to.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 pm 
The Post - Kascadio called it the worst movie he'd ever seen, possibly hyperbole. . . and no doubt in the context of expecting one of the five or so best from 2017. It wasn't particularly good, unfortunately, although very timely. Meryl S wasn't particularly good, Tom Hanks seemed to be imitating Jason Robards imitating Ben Bradlee, some of the scenes were over the top conveying simple messages = Steven Spielberg It is worth watching and there were several wonderful quotes in it: We were in there 10% to help the Vietnamese, 10% to stop the spread of communism, and 80% to keep the USA from being humiliated. Eighty percent of those boys died to keep us from being humiliated. . . that's why I did it. Daniel Ellsberg paraphrase "News is the first rough draft of history" - Phil Grahm And from the Supreme Court ruling: "In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors." I found Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (Deep Throat) a more interesting movie. Both movies were disturbingly relevant to watch.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 09, 2018 6:12 pm 
Is it possible this is the first post on this thread about "Avengers: Infinity War".....can't be, but I don't see any others. Anyway, saw it today, really enjoyed it. It's long but it kept me engaged and I wasn't wishing it would hurry up and end. The Russo brothers that have done the Captain America movies directed. To me those two are head and shoulders above everybody else in the super hero genre. There were a crap ton of characters in this movie and somehow they managed to juggle all of it, no easy feat. And Thanos just leap frogged to the top of the list of best villain in a superhero movie. Most have been too easily defeated, or one dimensional, or their motivation or back story just doesn't jive, or something. In the various teaser post credit scenes he's appeared in previously there wasn't that much to him but here as a major character he was handled very well. Totally bad ass and plenty of depth to his character. Doesn't hurt having Josh Brolin doing the voice (and probably motion capture I would imagine). Between this and "Black Panther" Marvel/Disney have made more money in the last couple months than many small countries GDP probably.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri May 11, 2018 11:05 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Is it possible this is the first post on this thread about "Avengers: Infinity War".....can't be, but I don't see any others.
Crazy! I sure expected more posts about it by now. I just saw it yesterday - pretty good, but there were a few things that kept it from being one of my favorite Marvel films. If not for the first and last 5-10 minutes I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I can't really say any more without getting into spoiler territory, but I really think the ending would have been a lot more "snappy" if it had ended 5-10 minutes sooner. I agree that Thanos is one of the best super hero movie villains ever, for all the reasons you listed. I'd honestly be interested in a film just about him from his youth up to the Infinity war. It'd be difficult to make, and even more difficult to greenlight, but it could be amazing!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 13, 2018 12:14 am 
Rented "Hostiles". Hmmm. There are moments where it was pretty good and I liked the job Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike did with what they were given. Bale is a brooding, sour-faced, war-scarred army captain and he does a good job of staying in character throughout and his quiet demeanor and calm, decisive actions throughout the sometimes chaotic events of the movie feel believable. That said, the movie was relentlessly depressing, quite long, and in the end seemed pretty contrived and cliched. You never really get a sense of *why* Bale's character forgives his old nemesis and the fact the old Indian chief forgives Bale seems to rely on the whole, tired, "wise and noble savage" trope. I dunno, I just felt like it had a lot of potential but was mis-handled and ended up being just too convenient and predictable.