Forum Index > Gear Talk > All Terrain Tires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 9:48 am 
There was some discussion of this lately in the thread on snows, and I figured it deserved it's own thread since I'm in the need for a fresh set when my snows come off... Here's a test of Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10, the Toyo Open Country A/T, and the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 am 
another one

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm 
The BFG All Terrains has been completely redesigned since those comparisons.The comparisons are as old as my truck.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm 
That's probably a good thing considering their reputation for road noise Couldn't find anything newer with side by side testing

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 am 
I've tried a lot of different tires on our three vehicles. I really like the Michelin MXV4s. Really good all weather performance, reasonably quiet, and best of all decent tread life (real world 50K).

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am 
3-season tires on our Tundra are Michelin LTX A/T2. I really like them for highway, dirt roads and the occasional very rough road. CR rates them highest for all terrain truck tires, describes them as "well suited on-road and for light duty off-road conditions," which IME is accurate. CR gives them highest marks for hydroplaning and rolling resistance. Ours are D-rated. They come C, D or E rated, depending on size. Most in the 4x4 crowd dismiss them as not gnarly enough for off-road, and that may be true. But they work great for our uses.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm 
I have the Hankook Dynapro on one of my vehicles. Happy with them so far.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:18 pm 
I'm leaning towards the 'kooks or the Coopers, I feel like changing it up a bit.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm 
I’ve been very pleased with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT on my 4Runner. Been thru sand, mud, ice, snow. Does well in all phases for me. Tread life has been fantastic.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am 
No studs day is closing in, so yesterday I pulled the trigger on the Hankooks. Wanted to try something new, I'd run the Coopers before on the mountain wagon, they were fine but that counts as trying them sort of... and I liked the Hankook snows I put on it as well. Also a few other good reviews on them and they had them at Amazon for $120 each, shipped. Four on their way.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 am 
yukon222 wrote:
I’ve been very pleased with Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT on my 4Runner. Been thru sand, mud, ice, snow. Does well in all phases for me. Tread life has been fantastic.
Hard to go wrong with any of the GY heavy duty line. I love my MTR's.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 09, 2018 9:39 am 
Well I've run the 'kooks for almost two months now. Last weekend we did 4 days in the Oregon outback which gave them a really good workout. Lyle to Bend to Glass Buttes, a day puttering around there, then up to Mitchell from Riley the back way, meaning across the middle via Paulina (instead of via Burns then the JD drainage. ) Then from Mitchell to the Muddy Ranch (Young Life (Washington Ranch) previously Rajneeshpuram) via the John Day, then back via Antelope to Maupin to home. A varied mixture from highway to country road and a lot of dirt plus some rock crawling. Impressions: - noticeably tighter road feel and handling on the pavement than previous ATs - No perceptible differences in grip on dirt or rocks, I repeated a pretty stiff 'nothing but sky over the hood' steep route on Wagner Mtn which we hit last year too, no issues - did fine in the mud on a semi water crossing - nice and quiet, no road howl - quieter than the Open Country tires which are pretty reasonable. - We hit a black sky, wipers on high, biblical downpour on the way back from Maupin, one of the ones where it's raining so hard the water doesn't even have time to run off the road. No hydroplaning that I could detect - they do in fact seem to have improved my gas mileage a touch. The needle on long runs is noticeably dropping less for a given distance - clever graphic design of the sidewalls means the lettering stands out and they look pretty aggressive when dust covered. So my conclusion is: recommended

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed May 09, 2018 10:24 am 
MtNGoat, Did you get the 10 ply, or 4ply Dynapro ATM RF10?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed May 09, 2018 10:42 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
- they do in fact seem to have improved my gas mileage a touch
Did you correct for wheel diameter differential (if any), winter vs. summer fuel blend and lower wind resistance (higher temperature = less dense air)?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 09, 2018 11:12 am 
Schenk wrote:
MtNGoat, Did you get the 10 ply, or 4ply Dynapro ATM RF10?
I got the 4 plys