Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rename This Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DadFly

DadFly
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am 
Actors, musicians, politicians etc are all idolized way too much. Very few of the super famous are the kind of people worthy of the demagoguery we raise them to. How about Catherine Shields trail? My third grade teacher who taught for 38 years and rarely wavered from clear rules and common sense civic duty? We all knew division and multiplication too! Marcie Worley trail? Marcie was a nurse and nurse manager in an ER for 35 years. At her memorial there were at least a hundred nurses. Most were crying. And so forth. Just sayin.....

"May you live in interesting times"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 am 
I voted for Cascalouse. Bad spellers and pronouncers be damned.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm 
It's fun to say! up.gif

rossb

rossb
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 6:05 pm 
RodF wrote:
In 1985, the state Land Commissioners renamed the Iron Horse State Park Trail at the urging of Ken Wilcox, who represented the 200 member "John Wayne Pioneer Wagons and Riders". He stated "John Wayne typified the West, cowboys, covered wagons, and horseback riding, etc.
They should have named it the Randolph Scott trail. From one of my favorite movies:
Scott actually was a war hero in WWI, and tried to fight in WWII, but they wouldn't take him, so he worked as an entertainer. Hard to find much dirt on him, either (unlike John Wayne). He seems like a better choice if you were going for some sort of Hollywood Western theme. Anyway, I like Traily McTrail Face, but that isn't on the table either. I guess I would go for Iron Horse. Pretty clear what you mean, and it seems appropriate. I could get used to Cascalouse. Once you understand what it is (a combination of Cascades and Palouse) it rolls off the tongue really well (it is fun to say). Everyone knows how to pronounce the Palouse, or at least they should.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
My father, who was severely injured in WWII and suffered the rest of his life, had no respect for John Wayne because he played WWII heroes but didn't have the balls to actually serve. Other WWII veterans shared my father's contempt of Wayne. Many Hollywood stars duly served, e.g., James Stewart, James Coburn, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Clark Gable. Those guys were the real heroes. John Wayne was not a hero nor a great American. He just played one in the movies.
Youre wrong Steve! He tried to enlist. He was told no! He was told he was to valuable to the war effort to lose in battle!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 6:20 pm 
Wayne was stereotyped in serial westerns and B films for much of his life. John Ford discovered he could act and cast him in more demanding films. He was a far better actor than his stereotype and was excellent in more complex roles in Red River and The Searchers. Unfortunately as his cancer progressed he let his political views contaminate his image reaching a low in The Green Berets. I saw him in the early 60’s on the 20th Century back lot (now Century City) and it was apparent he was very ill. Unlike several early actors he was not a real cowboy. Perhaps a better name would be The Tom Mix Trail wink.gif .

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
schifferj

schifferj
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Youre wrong Steve! He tried to enlist. He was told no! He was told he was to valuable to the war effort to lose in battle!!!
Not exactly true. John Wayne registered for the draft and was given a 3A deferment as he had dependents. Registering for the draft was mandatory and not an attempt to enlist. In the later years of WWII when the services were running out of young single men to chose from he lost the 3A deferment and was granted a 2-A occupational deferment. 2-A deferments were for essential jobs to keep the country running. His job as an anchor was considered essential for morale and propaganda purposes wink.gif wink.gif. My own father at that time was married with two kids and was the same age as John Wayne. My father did not apply for and thus did not get a 3A deferment. Apparently farming and providing food for the war effort was not "essential" and my father did not get a 2-A deferment. From my own personal experience with drafts and draft boards one is not awarded any sort of deferment. You apply for said deferment and you either get it or you don't depending on a lot of outside factors. John Wayne was not an honorable man.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:51 pm 
And what about Dale Evans? She shot guns out of hands just like Roy did. If yer gonna talk about actors who played in Westerns, Dale did her part and sometimes even rescued Roy. Roy being Roy Rogers, the King of the Cowboys. I am thinking she also wrote Happy Trails To You.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 pm 
I am sorry but no real cowboy ever stuffed his horse, I was triggered.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 pm 

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:45 am 
If you want to make your ideas on the name of the trail count go to Trail Rename and voice your opinion where it counts

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am 
should be called "The Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Trail In "A Hard Day's Night," someone asked George Harrison what he called his haircut. He thought for a moment and then replied, "Albert." lol.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 pm 
Iron horse!
Quote:
I'm not sure what the Iron Horse part of the trail is like in the Cascades
Awesome. Well maintained wide gravel trail. Great bike ride in the summer and parts are groomed for xcountry skiiers in the winter.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Did you know John Wayne personally? Related to him? Why this staunch backing of his character, in the face of facts? Just curious.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 3:11 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
How about because he was a great American worthy of this sort of thing. WHY?
Then how come there aren't any trails named after me? confused.gif