Forum Index > Trail Talk > Social Media Grrrrrrr....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:38 am 
This is very irritating to me, as it's one of my favorite things to do. I just wish some folks could keep quiet https://m.facebook.com/groups/1523494334543575?view=permalink&id=2321821018044232&ref=group_header

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 am 
Hey, BPG, Could you please cut and paste the content here? That link demands that you log in or sign up. This is particularly irritating when agencies or institutions post things on FB and non-members can't view it. Thanks, ~z

reststep

reststep
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 am 
It is a public facebook group so you should be able to view the content without logging in. Go to this link and scroll down to see the report. https://www.facebook.com/groups/washingtonhikersandclimbers/

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:22 pm 
I guess you have to go off trail for this? I've never found antlers while hiking. All I ever find are plastic bags of dog chit frown.gif and the occasional mylar party balloon

Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm 
If ya don't want this spread around the internet than why spread it around the internet?Seems counterproductive.Just food for thought.I have learned the hard way that if I am not careful my own emotional reaction can do more harm than the original post. You follow any of the Utah boys on you tube?

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 1:01 pm 
3 Hours Ago... "Has anyone been to Gothic basin in the past week? How are the trail conditions? Are there any special precautions I should take? Thanks ☺" rotf.gif

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 4:20 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
That's my point. Very unique pockets / clusters where you find the sheds. Especially the Elk. Deer sheds are helter skelter
cool. just googling "elk sheds antlers" now... keep going

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:36 pm 
They can be found all over the Forest, if one spot get publicized go somewhere else no big deal. You have just as much right to collect them as I do or anyone else for that matter. If it gets some new people to appreciate nature or find new places to explore and enjoy I'm all for it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm 
Here's a video of people heading in to collect sheds from elk in the Oak Ck Wildlife Area near Naches the day the area opens to public access on May 1. Apparently it's a yearly tradition over there.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm 
Not surprised there are so many elk there, I can't drive up White pass without seeing any

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 am 
that whole FB page is disturbing to me.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 pm 
markh752 wrote:
3 Hours Ago... "Has anyone been to Gothic basin in the past week? How are the trail conditions? Are there any special precautions I should take? Thanks ☺" rotf.gif
I know, it's hilarious how totally clueless people are. Questions like this get asked all the time in that group. It's like people don't understand the relationship between seasons, weather, elevation, and snow pack. I keep wanting to make a snarky PSA post about looking at a damn map but that sort of thing is frowned upon.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:15 am 
They wonder why people get lost or hurt out there. Their lucky they don't make people pass a test first other wise a lot of these people wouldn't be able to.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 am 
Bedivere wrote:
I know, it's hilarious how totally clueless people are. Questions like this get asked all the time in that group. It's like people don't understand the relationship between seasons, weather, elevation, and snow pack.
I lived in Texas for many years before moving here. Many on that site are from warm climates in other countries. Like I was, yes, many are indeed clueless about seasons, weather, elevation, and snow pack. Thoughtful answers are what they are looking for, not mockery; it's why they're asking. I'm glad no one made fun of me when I asked about backpacking to a high mountain meadow during Memorial Day weekend all those years ago. In Texas, by Memorial Day, it's been warm for quite some time already. Someone from WTA's old TrailTalk sent me to a low elevation forest trail and said it's probably still too early; but I tried anyway, and when I ran into snow after a short time, I retreated to a car campground, and chalked it up as a good first bit of knowledge. And glad of it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 pm 
Wolves are starting to kill and pressure all the elk. That's a good thing as antler hunting may wind down and will make it tougher so people will quit. I also think a shed hunting liciense wold be a good idea to pay for some enforcement on the matter. Lots of people go out after seeing pictures on social media and think it's ok to chase wintering elk and deer. Shed hunting is really hard where I go in Idaho as the elk have been pushed by the wolves into some nasty country. We take an airplane in to some spots for antlers. I made $6k last year. Not too bad. Best day was $700. I'm at 37 white tail, 19 mule deer, and 27 elk for 2018. Only have had time to get out 4 times this year

Have I offended you today?