Forum Index > Trip Reports > Capitol Reef Natl Park, Dayhikes March 29-April 2, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 1:19 pm 
March 29, 2018: Upper Pleasant Creek Canyon with loop over Pt. 7430’. Pleasant Creek is perennial flow but today it was low enough to keep the feet dry. Pleasant of a canyon, indeed, but not the most spectacular. I also wanted to view upper Sheets Gulch and a number of Flats for a future backpack loop. Lastly I checked all the wingate sandstone faces around Tantalus Flats but found no rock art. Great views of the Reef from the top.
Upper Pleasant
Upper Pleasant
Upper Pleasant Canyon
Upper Pleasant Canyon
little arch
little arch
stone bottom
stone bottom
narrows
narrows
moving up
moving up
big ponderosa
big ponderosa
nice scene
nice scene
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
sculpted
sculpted
looking back downcanyon
looking back downcanyon
Upper Pleasant Creek
Upper Pleasant Creek
Tantalus Flats
Tantalus Flats
The Salmon
The Salmon
The Reef
The Reef
Buck Benchmark looms
Buck Benchmark looms
Capitol Reef Natioanl Park, UT
Capitol Reef Natioanl Park, UT
March 30, 2018: Exploring the domes and fins above Hickman Bridge with a scramble of Navajo Dome 6489’. This was excellent exploring and a fine scramble on solid Class 3 slickrock. The map explains it. I feel a bit responsible sharing this so please bust no crypto crust and walk on solid rock as much as possible. From the Hickman Bridge Trail/Overlook junction spy a scree gully to the NE that leads to a broad ledge going right to the horizon. That is the key. After that keep it at Class 3 or look around and there are always bypasses of small dryfall and cliff obstructions. This was fun!
Navajo Dome 6489'
Navajo Dome 6489'
My gully through to ledge
My gully through to ledge
the ledge
the ledge
domes and fins
domes and fins
Navajo Dome 6489' to left
Navajo Dome 6489' to left
View west
View west
View north
View north
Cohab area
Cohab area
The Henry Mountains
The Henry Mountains
ascent route
ascent route
crazy fallen snag
crazy fallen snag
through there
through there
impassable dryfall below
impassable dryfall below
Exit canyon descent route
Exit canyon descent route
lower in exit
lower in exit
Exit side canyon
Exit side canyon
Last look at destination
Last look at destination
March 31, 2018: Singletree Trail to a couple peaks. OK truth is I want to get out backpacking but Villanova keeps winning which keeps me close to Torrey for a TV of tonight’s National Championship! This hike was something to do I haven’t done yet. I descended the Singletree Trail from Hwy 12 and took a left northward on the Slickrock Trail. Then I veered east to Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks, 7858’ has a fun solid low angle Navajo sandstone slickrock Class 2 ascent. Then I descended the south gully and on over to Three Brothers 8126’. Three Brothers had 400 feet of an excellent Class 3 Navajo sandstone scramble on the west ridge. Can go easy with Class 1 vegetated slope (descent) to as hard as Class 4 to the north. I chose a nice depression of slickrock just climbers left of the vegetated sw slope. Descended the sw slope to the fenceline around Happy Valley community until I returned up the Singletree trail. Could not find any rock art on the many fins, spires, and domes of Navajo sandstone in the vicinity.
Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks ahead
Twin Peaks ahead
Happy Valley
Happy Valley
Lyon Mtn outcrop
Lyon Mtn outcrop
snadstone color
snadstone color
Distant Buck Benchmark
Distant Buck Benchmark
Three Brothers next
Three Brothers next
Back at Twin Peaks
Back at Twin Peaks
Tantalus Flats
Tantalus Flats
Jorgenson Flat
Jorgenson Flat
fun area
fun area
nice trail route
nice trail route
Lots of rock
Lots of rock
Singletree Falls
Singletree Falls
April 1, 2018 Pectol’s Pyramid bail and success on the Cockscomb, 7880’. From the Cohab Trail I explored some benches around Pectol’s Pyramid but had no luck. Then I failed on Cockscomb later in the day but spied the correct route. On the 2nd I finished the Cockscomb. From a dispersed campsite parking on the map, work around the west buttress of the Cockscomb to a broad west trending drainage on Cockscomb’s south side. Contour into the basin w/o gaining altitude and a good cattle trail appears to take one all the way to the south saddle. Directly above is a west ridge notch. Fun Class 3 solid scrambling on a rising ledge to the SE of the notch leads to a face and solid gully. The route starts to the right of the three prominent pines in the photo and is above the lowest pine. Great, albeit short route.
Cockscomb
Cockscomb
Searching for Pectols Pyramid
Searching for Pectols Pyramid
More sunsets
More sunsets
glowing Ferns Nipple
glowing Ferns Nipple
Last light on Ferns Nipple
Last light on Ferns Nipple
Moonrise
Moonrise
South face of The Cockscomb
South face of The Cockscomb
Fish Creek Cove
Fish Creek Cove
Fish Creek Cove
Fish Creek Cove
View NE
View NE
View North
View North
The Cockscomb from NW
The Cockscomb from NW
Cockscomb route
Cockscomb route
Go ‘Nova! Maybe tomorrow I’ll actually go somewhere remote and special.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Abert

Abert
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 pm 
I was confident you'd find a TV, John. At least you don't have to worry about the Phillies messing with your fall planning.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm 
Cool report you hit a lot of the less crowded hikes. We have been going down the past couple years. CR is one of our favorites far fewer folks than Canyonlands or ugg Arches. This year went to North Rim of GC far from paved roads on abandoned cowboy routes now that was really lonely.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
natural_log

natural_log
PostTue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 pm 
My favorite park in the system. Thanks for sharing these desert wanderings, that alpenglow on the reef is beautiful!

silence

silence
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 am 
If anyone is going to find those special places in CR it would be you ... oh and our mutual Flickr friends. Makes me want to get back over there again. up.gif up.gif up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 pm 
Just can't stay away from Capital Reef can you?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 09, 2018 9:07 pm 
natural_log wrote:
My favorite park in the system. Thanks for sharing these desert wanderings, that alpenglow on the reef is beautiful!
That's interesting, Bryce is mine. Zion is a close second. Both seem to me to offer way more incredible scenery. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 am 
Abert wrote:
I was confident you'd find a TV, John. At least you don't have to worry about the Phillies messing with your fall planning.
Hmm...went into The Needles with a record of 4 and 5. Now they are 9 and 5! You know I get a little excited about these insignificant aberations, but I'd rearrange fall plans as dictated by circumstance. Missed you down here this year. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
natural_log

natural_log
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 pm 
Pie over crowds any day biggrin.gif