Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fool's day peak 14 apr 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 5:59 pm 
Not a big peak, but since I've not seen any reports this peak recently, maybe this will be useful as conditions update. Parked at the sno-park. There is still a decent amount of snow on the road, too much for driving, but not enough for snowmobiles. It was raining heavily. In US, there are quite a few mountains named after specific dates. For example there are at least 6 "Fourth of July" mountains (duh!). But there is only one "Fifth of July" mountain (http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2021 - obviously named by Albert H. Sylvester who was just messing with us). And there is also a "Fool's day" peak (http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=25857). We went directly from the sno-park (mostly avoiding the roads, I hate roads) and it turned out to be a really nice snowshoe. Once above 4000 feet, heavy rain turned into heavy snow. Really lots of fresh powder snow, very soft and deep. The summit is surrounded by huge cornices for no apparent reason. Anyway, it is still real winter up there and it makes me really happy. Usually once spring starts I start to freak out that my favorite snow will all be gone soon, but days like this one help me keep my spirit up. Since this is such a short trip (we short-cutted a lot), I was thinking of visiting French Cabin Peak North on my way back, but crossing french cabin river turned to be a no go. It is really hard to cross rivers with Cookie, since she is freaking out as soon as she sees water. Right now river is pretty deep and flow is strong. Well, maybe Cookie is right. It gets pretty miserable, wet and cold quickly. There is no avalanche danger on the route to Fool's day, since it is all in mature forest. The only sketchy part is summit itself and large cornices there. Shortcuts save distance a little bit, but do not really make it faster - it gets pretty steep up and down, so on the way back we walked the road. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2624675852 9 miles, 5 hours, 3300 gain. Best part of the trip was actually meeting the elks. There are really many elks hanging around lower forest, just below the snow level. I hope you all love elk butts as much as I do, because (guess what?) I met two elk herds today and they made quite a show for me. Hundreds and hundreds of majestic huge animals with puffy whitish butts. What can be better? Even Cookie is extremely attracted to elks and I have to hold her really hard, to prevent her from running towards them. I wonder what is going through her mind. A large mature bull elk can weight up to 1300 lbs. Cookie weights 16 lbs. So what exactly is her plan???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm 
Cool report, thanks. I love the elk photos! How soaked did you get? It was absolutely pouring at Snoqualmie Pass both times I crossed today.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 pm 
Very-very-very soaked smile.gif I don't mind too much though. I think of it as swimming smile.gif Some people like swimming! And it was snowing on top. It only really gets miserable on the walk back. Going up I feel warm from all the elevation gain and breaking the trail in snow. But going back rain and cold gets deep into my bones frown.gif Well, elks don't have much of a choice and they seem to be okey with the rain too.

schifferj

schifferj
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 pm 
Your dog is beautiful - is she a Shiba Inu?

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 pm 
She is a shiba. Inu just means dog 🐕

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 9:49 am 
Kitya- you & I are kindred spirits. I too prefer winter & snow over summer & sweltering heat & mosquitos! biggrin.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Kitya- you & I are kindred spirits. I too prefer winter & snow over summer & sweltering heat & mosquitos! biggrin.gif
Right! Especially with a furry dog! Nothing more tiresome than summer heat when you have to wear fur all the time.