Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking Meander Meadows last week in July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 pm 
I was planning on backpacking to Meander Meadows the last week of July this year with my 7 year old. He is in pretty good shape and his range is about 10 mi and 2K feet so distance should not be an issue. Question: Should we be prepared for a lot of snow along the PCT in late July? Namely do we need microspikes or axes? thanks kv

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 pm 
Yes, if you want to hike up on the PCT. I did that trip the last week of July during a late melt out year and we had neither and were wishing for both. The Meander Meadows trail itself is fairly demanding and probably will be quite brushy, so make sure your youngster is up for it!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 am 
It varies year to year. I’ve been up there in late August and some portions of the PCT were impassable to those without ice axes, other times in late August when it was clear; I’ve been up there the 4th of July weekend with very little snow. The brush may or may not be high late July, but I would count on it. Too early to know what it’s going to be like this year. The road conditions change year to year as well!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Hmm. In that case, I perhaps need to consider some other place. Any suggestions are welcome. We did Spider Gap last year and that wasn't a problem at all.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:18 am 
Just have a Plan B in case it turns out to be a late snowmelt year. It's a good idea anyway to have several alternatives. I've had to go to Plan B or C at the last minute a number of times, although that has usually been due to forest fires. In late July, assuming a normal snowmelt, I'd be prepared for lots of bugs!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 am 
"Grannyhiker wrote: "In late July, assuming a normal snowmelt, I'd be prepared for lots of bugs!" Oh so true! The small biting flies on the lower brushy part of the trail were just about the worst I've ever experienced when we were there the last week of July. rant.gif On the plus side, there is a privy at Meander Meadows with a knockout view, and if you time it right, you can sit there and watch the fighter jets come up from the valley below you and fly right over your head!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 pm 
Some of the worst bugs I've ever encountered were up there, the skeeters were bad but the black flies were dang near intolerable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 pm 
kvpair, exactly how many nights out are you planning on, and are you specifically looking for access to the PCT, or are you flexible as to where you would like to go? Usually there are lots of helpful trip suggestions from the forum, we just need to know what your criteria is. smile.gif

iron

iron
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm 
backup: chelan sawtooths. they melt out sooner and aren't too much further once you're already over by the MM TH.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:19 pm 
iron wrote:
backup: chelan sawtooths. they melt out sooner and aren't too much further once you're already over by the MM TH.
Great place, but trailheads in the Sawtooths would be another 2.5-3 hours past Cole's Corner where you would turn off 2 to access MM. Unless I'm thinking of a different place?

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm 
Thanks you all so much! You guys rock. The kids want to be out two nights and so what we do is hike in on day 1, day hike the second day and go back home the last day (Fri-Sun). I live in Redmond and so huge long drives may be a little bit impractical. The other choice was Ingalls Lake in the Teanaways for Plan B. But always open for other suggestions.

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm 
Thanks! Criteria are: 6-8 miles, 2000 or less in elevation.

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 2:56 pm 
The absolute worst bugs that I encountered were in Horseshoe Basin in Pasayten. I was so glad that I had a head net.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm 
You're local; you can be flexible. So be flexible. No need to ink in a destination right now. Just plan on doing a trip with the kiddo and wait & see about snowpack. Meander Mdw and the PCT may be perfectly fine the last week of July this year. If not, somewhere else will be, you can be sure of that! Just keep checking in. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 am 
Is there a snotel in the vicinity of where you’re wanting to go? I export yearly snotel data (to XLS) for the areas I like to backpack frequently and track when the snotels hit zero. That helps me get an idea of where and when I can plan trips. For example, this year, based on current snow levels, I should be able to hike central Oregon Cascades in late June, but SW WA areas will likely be late July at the soonest.