Forum Index > Trip Reports > Loch Ethel snowshoe - 21 apr 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 6:08 pm 
Back in October 2014 I hiked to almost all main Scottish lakes – Loch Eileen, Loch Julius, Loch Donald, Loch Chiwakum, Larch and Cup. They are all extremely pretty. There was only one lake I skipped that time, Loch Ethel, because I heard bad things about it. Here is the thing – the beautiful core of Chiwakum Mountains is surrounded on the side of HWY 2 by old railroad grants, i.e. all private land and all the devastation it creates – i.e. clearcuts, private roads and cabins. Most of Loch Ethel trail goes through private land and about a mile of it through a recent clearcut. The view can be devastating in summer (like hiking on some areas of Tiger or Rattelsnake). But winter is not as bad. In winter the clearcut looks just like a glacial snowfield (at a wrong place). I’m actually surprised Loch Ethel doesn’t have many snowshoe reports – it is a perfect place for it. Almost all of the route is on the ridge or in the forest, grade is gentle and everything is avy safe. I didn’t drive the road to the trailhead (there is still a little bit of snow on it in places), but just walked it – it is only a mile and there is really no parking at the trailhead either. Consistent snow started at around 3000 feet and I used snowshoes all the way after that. At around 5000 feet, when route finally enters alpine lakes wilderness it suddenly becomes extremely pretty – with a beautiful forest and lots and lots of very fresh powder snow. Too bad protected part is so short. But totally worth it, no people and lake is just as amazing as other Scottish lakes – situated in a very beautiful alpine cirque with very steep snowy walls. The view was a bit obscured by snowfall and wind, but anyway – really-really pretty. Cookie also found weird wildlife diarrhea. Is it chipmunks?? There were several large piles of poop like this and the only mammal around was a chipmunk. But these poops look larger than the chipmunk, so it makes no sense. There was also a grouse, but the grouse couldn’t have pooped that out either. Mystery? 11 miles, ~4000 feet gain, 6 hours. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2641951898

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm 
Great idea up.gif I did a hike in this area late June ( https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8011379 ) and also thought the hate this lake gets is a bit weird. I wrote a WTA guide entry for it after this trip: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-ethel . The clearcut really isn't that awful in spring either: beautiful flowers and wildlife to see! I'd definitely consider doing this in winter as well. If conditions make travel light, then it's probably even possible to make it all the way to Middle Chiwaukum.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:24 pm 
wow! so lucky you saw wolves! middle chiwakum in winter, that would be very ambitious destination! i guess clearcut is most horrible late in summer, when it is hot. well, more solitude for us smile.gif it is a really nice lake!

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 pm 
I have to say I'm still not 100% sure what they were, and I'll never know! It seems hard to distinguish them (judging from reading up on the web afterwards).

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 pm 
It is never easy to be 100% sure about anything in life smile.gif But I read that coyotes very rarely form packs and only in winter. So if you encountered a pack - it is likely real wolves. I'm not sure from their map, but it looks like scottish lakes are inside teanaway wolf pack range - https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/packs/14/

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 pm 
awesome up.gif

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 am 
kitya wrote:
I think that is wild turkey

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 9:36 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I think that is wild turkey
Wow! Thanks! I didn't know turkeys poop like this!

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 10:39 am 
Looks more like Grouse poop which are very common in that area

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 pm 
Nice report. Ive stayed at the High camp a few times. Loch Eileen is the only Loch. So to speak. All the other are just lakes.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 1:12 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Looks more like Grouse poop which are very common in that area
I've seen grouse nearby, so quite likely. Turkeys are a more rare sight for me.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive stayed at the High camp a few times. Loch Eileen is the only Loch. So to speak. All the other are just lakes.....
Well, they are all supposed to be Scottish, and Loch is just a the Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Scots word for a lake. Yeah, I have stayed at the High camp before. Sadly since than it changed owners and new owners are evil and don't allow dogs anymore frown.gif((

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 1:20 pm 
kitya wrote:
Well, they are all supposed to be Scottish, and Loch is just a the Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Scots word for a lake. Yeah, I have stayed at the High camp before. Sadly since than it changed owners and new owners are evil and don't allow dogs anymore frown.gif((
Well, since Don passed away in that freak accident, it was too much for just his wife. I don't know much about the new owners. Although, with the new prices I'm not so sure it will remain viable. Its very expensive now....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Apr 22, 2018 6:07 pm 
The High Camp is not open early in the year like it used to be. I know when I go by a lot fewer occupants