Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dr. T

Dr. T
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 pm 
Lookout Mountain Lookout Didn't make it to the lookout. We got to about 4800 ft where we encounter an open slope coming out of the trees. There had been clear signs of avalanches, mostly wet, somewhat small all along the visible slope. We hiked down a bit alongside the slope through the trees to see if we could see the slope better and the exit area of the avalanche. From the lower perspective we could see even more wet avalanches and also a 30-40 foot missing cut out where a slab had come off. We contemplated circling around the bottom side of the slope through some trees to advance towards the lookout. We would have needed to cross that portion of the first slope and then also traverse a second slope which we could see had some avalanches up top but didn't get a good view of the bottom side. Pass that we didn't really know where the trail was (the entire last mile and half covered had been snow covered, with us breaking trail the entire time) or the conditions of the slopes we may or may not have to traverse. It was a fun hike regardless of our turning back, we really haven't broke trail much in our hiking past and trying to route find using Gaia from time to time was an interesting challenge. Still a sh## ton of snow up there, snow shoes required for sure right after the first open area, which there was also a small avalanche. Some thoughts among the hikers involved. We felt bad about having to turn back. We all had a group meeting about whether the risks were worth trying to advance. Things that were mentioned were lack of experience/knowledge of avalanche situations, lack of tools required in case avalanche occurred, and also the idea of advancing into a "no turning back" scenario and forcing ourselves to only make bad decisions. Any thoughts on our decision. Is it always a good idea to turn back if you know conditions are ripe for an avalanche/can see evidence of avalanches? Can slopes be safer if an avalanche has already occurred? Is it safe to go down under the slope through the trees? Did we chicken out?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 pm 
Dr. T wrote:
Any thoughts on our decision. Is it always a good idea to turn back if you know conditions are ripe for an avalanche/can see evidence of avalanches? Can slopes be safer if an avalanche has already occurred? Is it safe to go down under the slope through the trees? Did we chicken out?
As a member of SAR and someone who took avy training before, I applaud your decision. It is always a good idea to turn back if something doesn't feel safe, it is also brave thing to do (turn back). Too many people are too chicken to admit they don't feel safe and end up in bad situations because of that. Also any trip is a success trip when everyone is coming back home safe, not when summit achieved. Summit can always be done the next time. Evidence of previous avalanches is not an indication that no new avalanches will occur. If avalanches are large enough, going through the trees might not be safe either. Even a small avalanche can create huge trouble. Right now as the weather warmed up avy conditions are quite dangerous, there is still a lot of snow, but warm weather is melting it fast and will continue to release avalanches for a while. Finally it is better to discuss safety not in 'trip reports' smile.gif

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm 
Thanks for the heads up. Can moderator move to appropriate room, in case of further discussion?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 pm 
Mailbox Peak (Old Trail) - 4/24/18
Not much snow left. I'd say about 85% of the trail is dry. Most of the remaining snow is on the talus field and summit area. There's absolutely no need to carry axes or crampons or snowshoes or any of that nonsense. Seriously, stop it people.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 am 
Mt. Hyak - 4/25/18 For those who tour, Hyak is still in really good shape. The snow is consolidated and still runs all the way down to the parking lot (although that may change over the next couple days).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:13 pm 
It doesn't get much lazier than this. Here's the view out the back door of the condo:
Leavenworth 042418 02
Leavenworth 042418 02
They had fresh morels at Smallwood's in Peshastin, so I figured I'd stop on the way home and see if I could find any. My mom told me she'd found a bunch of them along the road going in to Swauk Campground, so I pulled over and hopped out to take a look. In a comedy of errors the keys got locked inside the vehicle. Fortunately my 86-year-old mother had her walker, so she was able to sit down while I stood out at the edge of the highway and waited about half an hour until I was able to flag down a passing State Patrol trooper. He used his radio to make contact with AAA, since we were well out of cell phone range. They dispatched a guy out of Cashmere who showed up about 45 minutes later and got us on our way. Being still above the snow line (which I didn't notice until after the fact) there were no morels to be found there.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostTue May 01, 2018 1:37 pm 
Granite Mountain yesterday. Could see for miles.

RichP

RichP
PostWed May 02, 2018 2:06 pm 
May 1, 2018 Poked around south of Frenchman Coulee yesterday. Walked around the rim of Echo Basin a bit which is a very scenic area.
Toward the mouth of Frenchman Coulee.
Toward the mouth of Frenchman Coulee.
Agathla Tower.
Agathla Tower.
Marmot.
Marmot.
One of several lakes in the area.
One of several lakes in the area.
Enormous Echo Basin.
Enormous Echo Basin.
Bitterroot.
Bitterroot.
On the way back I stopped by Lookout Mtn outside of Cle Elum. I accessed via Lambert Rd and the DNR parcel. Kinda brushy and unpleasant but it only took an hour up. A trail is cleared out on the ridge top out to the summit. Now I won't have to say "I've gotta get up that thing one of these days" every time I drive by. tongue.gif
Headed up to Lookout Mtn.
Headed up to Lookout Mtn.
The route was somewhat brushy and unpleasant so I tried to stick to rocks when possible.
The route was somewhat brushy and unpleasant so I tried to stick to rocks when possible.
A trail on top of of the mountain.
A trail on top of of the mountain.
Teanaway views from the 3470' summit. A small section of Lambert Rd where I parked can be seen 1000' below.
Teanaway views from the 3470' summit. A small section of Lambert Rd where I parked can be seen 1000' below.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed May 02, 2018 5:42 pm 
nice rich up.gif I took my daughter up lookout mtn a few weeks ago, too. it was her 1st off trail hike, she did very well despite a little annoying brush.

Eric Eames
RichP

RichP
PostWed May 02, 2018 7:41 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
nice rich up.gif I took my daughter up lookout mtn a few weeks ago, too. it was her 1st off trail hike, she did very well despite a little annoying brush.
A chip off the old block. wink.gif

RichP

RichP
PostFri May 04, 2018 7:56 am 
May 3, 2018 Evergreen Mtn Lookout via the SW ridge winter route. Solid snow cover above 3500.' Quite a bit of consolidation has occurred since rubywrangler's 4/9 report.
On the boot trail up the SW ridge of Evergreen Mtn.
On the boot trail up the SW ridge of Evergreen Mtn.
Nearing the summer trailhead.
Nearing the summer trailhead.
the route climbs this ridge and connects to the summit on the left via the forested ridge.
the route climbs this ridge and connects to the summit on the left via the forested ridge.
On the forested connecting ridge.
On the forested connecting ridge.
Last bit to the top. The lookout is visible on the right.
Last bit to the top. The lookout is visible on the right.
Evergreen Mtn Lookout, 5587.'
Evergreen Mtn Lookout, 5587.'
Summit views north.
Summit views north.
Bryan rounding the last bump before the top.
Bryan rounding the last bump before the top.
Summit group.
Summit group.
On the way down.
On the way down.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 04, 2018 6:05 pm 
Inca trail 4 days, sacred valley, unamed inca trails. All good, great food, good people.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 06, 2018 6:20 pm 
Miller Pk in the Teanaway The Stafford Creek road is snow free all the way to the Miller Pk TH. The creek crossings are doable if you don't mind wet feet or finding a sketchy log. Many down logs on the trail but easy enough to get around. Snow started around 4000' as the trail went to the North facing slopes. I put snowshoes on and headed uphill to the ridge. Once at the ridge, I weaved back and forth on the N and S facing sides. The last bit to the summit was snow free. I didn't put my snowshoes on for the descent, the cloud cover kept the snow conditions good enough for plunge stepping.

Eric Eames
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun May 06, 2018 6:33 pm 
Nice to know about the conditions. Did you hike through any burned areas? Myself I went up Rye creek today. The teanaways are beautiful this time of year.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 06, 2018 6:37 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Did you hike through any burned areas?
no burned areas were hiked in today on miller, it looked as if the fire area was several miles to the west

Eric Eames