Forum Index > Trail Talk > It's risky out there!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm 
"A backpacking trip in the Rothrock State Forest and day hikes in the Laurel Highlands and Shenandoah National Park in Virginia were among the Penn State Outing Club’s 2018 spring term events. After this weekend, though, the 98-year-old organization has nothing on its calendar, and unless things change, it won’t. The Outing Club isn’t allowed to go outside anymore." I truly understand the adversity to risk that organizations have, but it really is a shame that it causes some to back off their best activities. I used to lead groups of teens on week long trips in the Cascades for summer camp. I remember often having that moment of anxiety thinking what I would tell a parent if one of those kids was severely hurt or killed. And these we often inner city kids who had never been in the mountains and never camped. But the joy those kids had at the end was GREAT. I am reminded of my time in Boy Scouts and the canoeing we used to do on what would be considered dangerous rivers. I think of the Boy Scouts that made some of the first ascents in the Olympics. But the climbing is no longer done AFAIK. I think Fred Beckey climbed his first mountain in the Boy Scouts. Anyway, I do understand and yet mourn at the same time. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm 
I don't understand, at all. That's complete bullsh##. College students (for the most part) are legal adults. If the University and it's lawyers are such a bunch of pussies, have the club members sign waivers. No wonder we're a nation of fat slobs who can't change a tire any more.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 3:05 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
No wonder we're a nation of fat slobs who can't change a tire any more.
I may be a slob and a little overweight, but damnit, I can change a tire! *bigfatslobgrins* It's a loss to our future that we are so adverse to risk we can't allow the Outing Club to go outdoors. Rumi <~~~~~~on a diet

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 pm 
Wow that read like an Onion article shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 5:18 pm 
I can change a tire on my bicycle and a wheel on my car but I've never changed just the tire on my car...

rossb

rossb
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:15 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I agree. I thought it might be an April Fool's joke (nope, April 18). Oh well. It is Penn State, so I assume they will cancel football soon. Seriously -- football and cheerleading are both a lot riskier. Yeah, I know cheerleading doesn't seem risky, but it is easy to get dropped on your head (seriously). But there is no money in hiking (don't expect Adidas to drop a big check for uniforms) so they are just doing away with it, while retaining for more dangerous activities.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I truly understand the adversity to risk that organizations have,
I don't. This entire country is becoming afraid of it's own shadow. To quote further: "“Student safety in any activity is our primary focus,” Lisa Powers, a Penn State University spokeswoman,..." Inconceivable! College kids can't go "hiking"?! What's with these wussie UNIVERSITY administrators? Lisa, get a LIFE for hell's sake!!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 pm 
rossb wrote:
I agree. I thought it might be an April Fool's joke (nope, April 18).
Well, it IS 420 day today....maybe that's the problem. lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You're right. It does read just like an Onion article. Good grief! ~z

!

!
PostFri Apr 20, 2018 11:30 pm 
The future of the United States is in jeopardy! We will not see our 300th birthday!

Silvatici

Silvatici
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 am 
You might be living in a dystopian nightmare if...

“The beauty of things was born before eyes and sufficient to itself; the heartbreaking beauty Will remain when there is no heart to break for it.”
neek

neek
PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am 
They've been going to areas without cell phone coverage for 98 years? How irresponsible!

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:17 am 
Club sports that passed the risk review include the Archery Club, Boxing Club, Alpine Ski Racing Club and Rifle Club. lol.gif lol.gif While I found the article funny in an Onion sort of way- it is a sad statement that the school is choosing to end a 98 year tradition. bawl.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:13 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
While I found the article funny in an Onion sort of way- it is a sad statement that the school is choosing to end a 98 year tradition.
Sometmes traditions need to die, but in this case the tradition was a healthy one. If they demonstrated that the club was reckless or similar, then I would agree that something should have been done. But the university did not do that, they simply judged that the activities were too risky. UPDATE: Penn State University now says “misuse of alcohol” contributed to its decision to disband three outdoor clubs.
Snowdog wrote:
"Ms. Powers said the university’s risk assessment was not triggered by any injury, but rather “an awareness brought to Penn State’s attention of these behaviors.” She has declined to release the university’s risk assessment report and findings. Christina Platt, president of the 98-year-old Outing Club, said there were no alcohol-related incidents or injuries that she is aware of on any of the club's trips."
Rumi

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Apr 25, 2018 6:44 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I don't. This entire country is becoming afraid of it's own shadow. To quote further: "“Student safety in any activity is our primary focus,” Lisa Powers, a Penn State University spokeswoman,..." Inconceivable! College kids can't go "hiking"?! What's with these wussie UNIVERSITY administrators? Lisa, get a LIFE for hell's sake!!
I would bet dollars to donuts that it's much more a case of the University being deathly terrified of lawsuits and bad publicity (more than this at least) more than anything else. "Student Safety" is a buzzword for "we don't want to assume responsibility for what we deem are unnecessary risks".