Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mormon, Big Arrow, Navajo and more, April 3-7, 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am 
April 3, 2018 Mormon Peak - 7414’ It wasn’t something planned, but this was the beginning of a 17 day peakbagging binge. It started with fellow cohort Greg Gerlach. We used his truck to cross the Meadow Valley creek. The standard approach for Mormon comes in from the southwest. The road is in fine condition until the washout at 4240 feet. In hindsight, my Subaru could have crossed the creek.
west ridge above
west ridge above
In the back of my mind, I remembered reading something about ticks, during the initial research several years prior. I tucked the bottom of my pant legs in and Greg did the same. It was a good thing we did that because over the next two days, I counted 10 leg crawlers on myself and 3 on Greg. Most of them were on this peak. It’s the most ticks I’ve ever seen.
There’s not a lot to this route. Just make sure you follow the correct wash at each junction. We walked the old road and I made one error which was corrected by traversing. Once upon the upper west ridge, we really enjoyed it. The views are good and there are narrow sections of limestone with some exposure. A rock step requires brief class 3.
survey tripod
survey tripod
At the summit there are two fallen USGS survey tripods, surprisingly well preserved considering they are 84 years old. I was especially taken with Peak 6365. If I ever return to the area, I will climb that one, however there are a number of others in the range which also deserve attention. Back near the truck I noticed a large agave roasting pit.
Mormon summit
Mormon summit
class 3 crux
class 3 crux
April 4 Big Arrow – 5226’ I have sort of been saving this one to do with John Morrow. Greg and I had talked about doing Mount Bangs next, however the drive was too long and he had to get back to CA, so the highpoint of the Arrow Range was the next logical choice. As mentioned previously, we got some ticks on the route.
fossil
fossil
We ascended the western canyon to the saddle between Big Arrow and South Arrow Peak. There were a few minor dryfalls. We made an ascending traverse on the eastern slope of the south ridge. For the last 500 feet we ascended a chossy southern gully which wasn’t all that pleasant. It’s a nice route except for this gully.
South Arrow
South Arrow
traverse
traverse
There are a number of other nice looking peaks in this range and you could easily spend an entire day and sweep them all up. If not for the ticks, it would be worth returning for Broken Arrow, South Arrow and some others. Perhaps it’s worth a shot in the dead of winter.
final summit plateau
final summit plateau
Broken Arrow
Broken Arrow
Arrow Peak
Arrow Peak
minor dryfall
minor dryfall
April 5 Mount Golden Eagle - 3704’ My car was in the shop so I only had a few hours for minor peaklets. I was wondering if this one could be done only class 2. Went up the southeast gully and traversed to the summit. A tad of class 3 at the end. There's another summit to the north which I visited afterward. Also some views of the next-up peaklet nearby.
summit
summit
main summit from north summit
main summit from north summit
Lone Mountain – 3342’ This one gets a lot of love. Well worn trails and lots of people despite the heat. I went up the north ridge. Bolt anchors near the summit are indicators of some climbing routes on the east face. Interesting.
north ridge
north ridge
summit
summit
developement
developement
Pinnacle – 2000’ The main draw to this area was recon for Red Needle which is an amazing land feature only 20 minutes drive from my house. It took about an hour of studying satellite maps to figure out the access, but I have driven to the base of it several times now. Pinnacle is exposed class 3, but Red Needle is 5th class aid climbing. The guide book describes the use of a metal extension ladder, but examining the east side, I suspect it could be protected traditionally, at least for the first half.
Red Needle
Red Needle
potential eastern climbing route
potential eastern climbing route
After scoping out Red Needle, I descended to the wash between it and Pinnacle. Class 2 on the northeast ridge and then class 3 with exposure and rubble on the east face and upper ridge. I had hoped to find a register signed by Tracy Foutz who has climbed virtually everything in the area, but there was none. I sent him a message from the summit and he responded that it had been 10 years since the last time and he didn’t recall one either.
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
looking back at Red Needle
looking back at Red Needle
east face
east face
came up this rubble
came up this rubble
class 3 above
class 3 above
decent views
decent views
Red Fox
Red Fox
Muddies
Muddies
April 6 Sloan Peak – 3889’ This Sloan is much easier than the one in WA. I drove to the base of the furthest northeast ridge and went up that way. I didn't bring a backpack and thus forgot my camera. The summit ridge is crescent shaped and the highest point is not where the map indicates. Rather it’s the southwest point. Little Devil Peak – 5594’ I parked at 3720 feet north of the peak, so as to access Singer Wash on foot. I left the main wash at 3880 feet and turned south, aiming for the saddle east of the peak. Before the actual saddle, I turned upslope to gain the east ridge.
Little Devil
Little Devil
This ridge is limestone with a few rock steps. I did some class 3, but much of it can be avoided. It was nice to look over at Devil Peak where Bryan and I had been not long ago.
east ridge
east ridge
Devil
Devil
Mesquite Lake
Mesquite Lake
Bird Spring Range Highpoint – 5695’ There is a road to the summit, but it would be foolish to try it, even in a jeep. Don’t make the same mistake I made by following Google Maps driving directions. I found myself headed north on some kind of pipeline road, crossing numerous washes, and certainly it would be impossible for my car to return the way I came in. I can’t stress enough how bad the roads are along the west side of this range.
I parked at 4640 feet and hurried on foot up the access road to the summit. I had to run down parts of the road despite the heat, because I had to meet Jodie Schraven soon and make the long drive to Utah.
Clark
Clark
Potosi
Potosi
La Madre
La Madre
West Mountain Peak – 7680’ In Jodie’s jeep we were able to drive near the summit of this peak, but she has ERP exposed-road-phobia so we walked the last half mile.
April 7 Navajo Mountain – 10,346’ Another really bad road. If you drive a Subaru, just forget it. Jodie was nervous about this road, but also determined. It was her second to last peak on the DPS, so she had to get it. She called the Navajos before the trip and offered to buy a permit, but apparently policies have changed because they told her that no permit is necessary, and that everyone is welcome.
Navajo
Navajo
We drove through some patches of snow and then above 10,000 feet it was mostly continuous snow. We hike the last mile to the summit. Jodie has just one DPS left now which is Ruby Dome.
Navajo summit
Navajo summit
On the way back to Vegas I drove through a wicked lightning storm and deluge of rain. Jodie shot video of the storm and caught some of the lightning. Continuous peakbagging continues here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm 
Oh well, You did an admirable job of holding off, while I headed for the CO Plateau instead. You left a number of points in the range to return for, so maybe they'll be on your radar in Nov! Looks like you've established yourself quite well with the locals. I think I see a bunch of their stuff on Peakbagger John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 pm 
Thanks for the great TR's. re Navajo Mt. Been up it maybe 4 times, all ski/hike combos in April except one at Christmas. The road from the south gets you to the top but I'd suggest the route up from Rainbow Bridge, thru the canyons and ascending the west ridge. Fabulous views. Tour boat to Rainbow Bridge. Good karma to check in with the chapter house. Alternatively, there was a hogan on the south side (near the air strip) we'd visit with, ask permission to leave our vehicle with.

Off trail rambler
RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
developement
developement
eek.gif That looks frightening.