Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Sage Grouse vs Ravens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 03, 2018 11:33 am 
I thought this was interesting, especially the idea of pitting sage grouse against ravens. Of course the "real" issue is loss of habitat but I doubt if we humans will curtail our gobbling up of the landscape for the sage grouse or any other animal. Anyway ... "In Oregon, their fragmented habitat is threatened by human development, invasive species, wildfires and overgrazing. Researchers are just starting to look into raven depredation, a more controversial problem for the birds. In a policy shift, the federal government wants sage grouse work to focus on the predators." Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu May 03, 2018 12:08 pm 
Ravens are bad news in other areas as well. They have expanded their range into the Mojave Desert because of man-made water sources. https://www.usgs.gov/media/videos/ravens-and-tortoises

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu May 03, 2018 12:29 pm 
Man alters the habitat so that it better suits ravens. The ravens then populate this new more agreeable habitat. And we're blaming the ravens?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 03, 2018 1:51 pm 
Interesting. Greater Sage-Grouse is a very cool bird. WDFW estimates population to have declined to 1,000 individuals in the state.
JonnyQuest wrote:
And we're blaming the ravens?
No. Identifying Common Ravens as a threat to Greater Sage-Grouse survival is not blaming. As Mike said, Common Raven expansion is about humans introducing water in places where little or no surface water previously existed. In this case, the conflict is specifically about irrigation water proximate to Sage-Grouse habitat. WDFW purchased a big chunk of Sage-Grouse habitat NW of Grand Coulee. I've spend some time in there and, fortunately, saw a few Sage-Grouse (and many more Sharp-tailed Grouse) but did not see any ravens. The acquisition is an old cattle ranch that has been inactive for years. It's ideal Sage-Grouse habitat and a very cool piece of land.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Identifying
Valid distinction