Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm 
Quote:
Looks like people have figured out how to automate the application process? Enchantments permits will be available on Stubhub a few minutes after they sell out this year!
No they haven't. And no, they won't.
Quote:
The takeaway from that graphic is that Stuart and Caroline zones should be a piece of cake to get permits for.
No, they aren't.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Apr 07, 2018 10:29 pm 
jasonracey wrote:
A couple of years ago I met a college kid from Oregon at Colchuck Lake who bragged about getting permits by having his non-hiking friends submit applications for him. No wonder long-time Cascade hikers like me can't get up there!
Exactly
Schroder wrote:
Could it be that the permit system actually attracts more people? It's difficult to get therefore it has to be the best place to go.
Absolutey. People are applying that are using it as a 'backup plan'. These same people applied three times using their dogs as registered users. Meanwhile, a whole bunch of us sucking wind.
kbatku wrote:
The "day of"permits make way more sense odds wise. Your odds of being drawn are what - thirty or forty to one and opposed to one in three trillion or so. If it works out - awesome! If not there are plenty of other places around Wenatchee to hike.
Day of walkup equals one single Core permit. I will guess at least 50 people will be standing there waiting for a shot at it.

popzeus

popzeus
PostThu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm 
I scored a Core Zone permit for October 5th (my second choice). The last time I won was five years ago, so happy to have prevailed. Hoping for prime time larch season and no early snow.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:50 am 
Quark wrote:
Private provider. Way too much hassle for the USFS staff to deal with.
I don't agree. I got into the same argument with the State Parks folks over their vendors. In both cases they're contracted out to small Canadian vendors that don't give a damn about providing any reasonable quality of service. You wonder where U.S. jobs have gone? This is a great example. These agencies could be hiring local staff and do it in-house.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 3:01 pm 
In Oregon there was at least one vendr for camgrounds who extended fees toba nearby trailheah on the PCT and carged hikers $5 per day to hike.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostFri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
In Oregon there was at least one vendr for camgrounds who extended fees toba nearby trailheah on the PCT and carged hikers $5 per day to hike.
Well, we know around what time you started beer:30 this weekend!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Apr 28, 2018 12:12 am 
Schroder wrote:
Quark wrote:
Private provider. Way too much hassle for the USFS staff to deal with.
I don't agree. I got into the same argument with the State Parks folks over their vendors. In both cases they're contracted out to small Canadian vendors that don't give a damn about providing any reasonable quality of service. You wonder where U.S. jobs have gone? This is a great example. These agencies could be hiring local staff and do it in-house.
I would agree with Schroder that it makes sense to contract it out to American companies, and I agree with Quark that it makes sense to contract it out in the first place. OTOH, I wish the FS had the budget for a few (more?) web designers/programmers. They could do something about their awful website and handle the Enchantments permits in-house.

kvpair

kvpair
PostThu May 03, 2018 9:12 am 
OK, this might be a bit controversial. I've been to the Enchantments twice on 3 day trips. Don't feel a real need to go there again. However, my favorite places have been off the PCT: (1) Three Sisters off the PCT. (2) PCT off Meander Meadows area near Glacier Peak (3) PCT near the Golden Horn - Rainy Pass to Manning Park (4) Horseshoe Basin area in Pasayten - deep solitude. There are so many wonderful places to go without being in the midst of 50 million people. Just sayin

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu May 03, 2018 12:08 pm 
kvpair wrote:
I've been to the Enchantments twice on 3 day trips. Don't feel a real need to go there again.
The Wind River Range is far better than the Enchantments. The Beartooths also! And NO permits for these places. They are like the Enchantments on steroids!

Art is an adventure.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu May 03, 2018 3:59 pm 
Stefan wrote:
kvpair wrote:
I've been to the Enchantments twice on 3 day trips. Don't feel a real need to go there again.
The Wind River Range is far better than the Enchantments. The Beartooths also! And NO permits for these places. They are like the Enchantments on steroids!
Throw in the 90% of the Sierras that are off the PCT/JMT. I spent a week in Palisade Basin and didn't see another human. Surrounded by 14000 footers and smooth granite shored lakes. Spent another week at 1000 Isle lake with 30+ boyscouts, but the area is so HUGE we never ran into each other after meeting on the trail. If no one is there to see you hiking did you actually do the hike? No likes means you get no credit.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon May 07, 2018 3:13 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
If no one is there to see you hiking did you actually do the hike? No likes means you get no credit.
That's what I've been sayin!!!!!!! PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!! lotsa guys makin' big claims these days about their elevation stats. or mileage!!! always taken with a grain of salt!!!!!!!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon May 07, 2018 6:34 pm 
Stefan wrote:
As is the drive. Takes 10x longer to get to those places. Then factor in additional vacation days needed to make the drive worthwhile. Not to mention wear and tear on driver and vehicle. Comparing the physical beauty of Beartooths/Wind River with the Enchantments is indeed apples and apples. Comparing actual trip logistics, not so much.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 08, 2018 10:16 am 
Quote:
coldrain108 wrote: If no one is there to see you hiking did you actually do the hike? No likes means you get no credit.
I do not get credit for most of my hikes then. I am fine with that.

"May you live in interesting times"
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 08, 2018 10:18 am 
There is a whole lot of Washington to explore too. Even if you are into granite terrain features the options are many.

"May you live in interesting times"
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 08, 2018 10:24 am 
Better to not risk injury at one of the lesser, Enchantment-overflow type hikes in our state that are designed for permit losers. If you lose in the lottery, best bet is just to resign yourself to the gym all summer, and prepare for the next opportunity at a Core Permit.