Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mountain Goat Management Plan Olympic National PARK 07/24/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trestle

trestle
PostSun May 06, 2018 9:14 pm 
RodF wrote:
Nevertheless, the plan retains "increasing genetic diversity" as a "purpose"
That sounds like the language of what I read and thanks for the clarifications on the other points. I don't mind the comment sections unless one poster tries to dominate every post. L-c-d of human intelligence exists all around us but I try not to underestimate their societal influence.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 06, 2018 10:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
...it sounds like a heck of a lot of helicopter time. I have to wonder how that's going to go over with Wilderness Watch.
I hope it imparts fatal apoplexy.

RodF

RodF
PostMon May 07, 2018 10:03 pm 
Helicopter use in preferred alternative D: Olympic: up to 768 hours, 904 landing (capture or shoot, years 1 to 4) (FEIS p. 57) North Cascades: 82.3 hours, 460 trips (release, years 1 to 3) (FEIS p. 51) Total: up to 850 hours, over 1000 landings and over 2000 trips. Cost: @$1050/hour plus $500/day for fuel truck = up to $940,500 (Note: current NPS contract rate for Hughes 500; commercial rate is $1200/hr. Cost might be reduced if an R-44 is also used for personnel transport.) Budget: $690,000 NPS + $461,000 WDFW = $1,151,000 for years 1 to 3 only Need for helicopter flights for monitoring and shooting any remaining goats in years 5 to 20 depend on degree of success in years 1 to 4 and no estimate is given.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue May 08, 2018 10:52 am 
A little more specificity from the FEIS as to North Cascades: Release of mountain goats would be accomplished through approximately 108 helicopter trips in Alpine Lakes Wilderness with an estimated total flight time of 1,260 minutes, 126 helicopter trips in Glacier Peak Wilderness with an estimated total flight time of 1,852 minutes, and 40 helicopter trips in Henry M. Jackson Wilderness with an estimated total flight time of 200 minutes. In addition, helicopters would be used to transport personnel and equipment (e.g., fencing) to and from release sites. Motorized or mechanical transport may be permitted if it is impossible to do the approved reintroduction by nonmotorized methods. The use of such motorized equipment is required for reintroducing mountain goats in the North Cascades national forests, although it would affect the untrammeled quality of wilderness character in these areas.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 08, 2018 11:31 am 
JVesquire wrote:
"...although it would affect the untrammeled quality of wilderness character in these areas..."
How does the use of motorized equipment "trammel" the area?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RodF

RodF
PostTue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm 
Ski wrote:
JVesquire wrote:
"...although it would affect the untrammeled quality of wilderness character in these areas..."
How does the use of motorized equipment "trammel" the area?
This is the conclusion of the wilderness management agencies, both NPS and USFS, repeated over a hundred times in FEIS Chapter 4 and in their wilderness Minimum Requirements Decision Analyses, Appendices E and F. For example, quoting FEIS page 148 "it would trammel wilderness with helicopter-based activities used to reduce the mountain goat population", page 150 "Alternative D would have more adverse impacts on wilderness character than alternative A, because it would trammel wilderness by reducing the mountain goat population, affect the undeveloped quality of wilderness character by the use of motorized equipment, affect solitude by utilizing noise-producing tools such as aircraft and firearms...", page 223 " The use of such motorized equipment is required for reintroducing mountain goats in the North Cascades national forests, although it would affect the untrammeled quality of wilderness character in these areas." and page 226 "Short-term impacts on the untrammeled quality would result from human interference with natural processes inside the Alpine Lakes, Glacier Peak and Henry M. Jackson wilderness areas as a result of the mountain goat relocation." The agencies cite the definition on page 280 "Human actions that restrict, manipulate, or attempt to control the natural world within wilderness degrade the untrammeled quality." (Their use of "trammelled" is sometimes inconsistent with their definition. The word itself is ambiguous and its definition and reach continues to be debated.)

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue May 08, 2018 5:49 pm 
Ski, That's a common misunderstanding of the word, which I'm sure you know it comes from Zahniser's language in the Wilderness Act. It doesn't mean "trampled". It broadly means "unrestricted" or "unconfined". Motorized use is inconsistent with keeping wilderness free from human manipulations and control, which is what Zahniser meant when he put that word in the text.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue May 08, 2018 9:04 pm 
The word is not ambiguous. It has a very clearly defined definition which can be found in any standard dictionary of the English language: trammel (n.) 1. A shackle used to teach a horse to amble. 2. (Usually plural) Something that restricts activity or free movement: a hindrance. 3. A vertically set fishing net of three layers, consisting of a finely meshed net between two sets of coarse mesh. Also called a "trammel net". 4 a. An instrument for describing ellipses. b. The pivoted beam of a beam compass. 5. An instrument for gauging and adjusting parts of a machine. Also called "tram". 6. An arrangement of links and a hook in a fireplace for raising or lowering a kettle. -tr. v trammeled or -melled, -meling, or -melling, -mels Also tramel, tramells 1. To confine or hinder. 2. To entrap, Sometimes used with up. [Middle English tramale trammel net, from Old French tramail, from Late Latin tremaculum: tres three (see trei- in Appendix *) + macula, mesh, spot (see macula in Appendix *) -trameller (n.)] American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language © 1969 I very seriously doubt, in drafting the text of the 1964 Wilderness Act, that U.S. Senator Frank Church, or any others involved, unwittingly used the word "trammel" in error or were confused about its meaning. The word means exactly what the dictionary says it means, and the National Park Service not only lacks the statutory and regulatory authority to redefine the term, it is far outside the scope of their mission to do so.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RodF

RodF
PostTue May 08, 2018 11:10 pm 
Ski, you're right, helicopter flights don't "trammel", but the reintroduction of goats in North Cascades and their eradication in Olympic wildernesses does. Back to the point: at the behest of a non-wilderness land management agency (WDFW), NPS has determined that it is "necessary for the administration of the area as wilderness" to triple the number of helicopter hours and approve more than ten times the number of helicopter flights and landings within Evans wilderness (to capture, Alt. D, rather than shoot, Alt. C, goats), not to benefit Evans Wilderness, but to benefit other (mostly non-wilderness) areas in the North Cascades. This is, to my knowledge, a completely novel basis for a determination of "necessity" for multiplying an already extensive campaign of helicopter flights within a wilderness. NPS has based a finding of necessity for much more extensive helicopter use, not to administer Evans Wilderness as wilderness, but on a need to "work cooperatively with" and "support the objectives of" other agencies to benefit other areas elsewhere. Imagine, for a moment, at the behest non-wilderness agencies (chambers of commerce and tourism), NPS was asked to approve up to 850 hours, over 1000 landings and 2000 flights to drop off and pick up skiers on Mt. Olympus and Bogachiel Peak in Evans Wilderness, with the "necessity" based on their "need" to cooperate with those agencies to benefit areas outside of Evans Wilderness. That wouldn't fly for an instant, but this goat translocation plan does.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 09, 2018 12:08 am 
Sorry, Rod - I can understand why a member here on this forum might not understand the meaning of the word, or confuse it with some other word in the English language. I cannot understand why, nor am I willing to accept, a degreed, credentialed employee of the National Park Service not understanding the meaning of the word or misusing it in the manner you've described above. You will note that in the second email I sent you I mentioned that I was so agitated by this I was unable to see straight. That comment was not hyperbolic. I will get the email addy of the Director in the morning and forward the communication to him as well. This is inexcusable. These people should know better. I will need to focus on something else for the time present or my head will explode. I scored a fabulous vintage "None Better" 1/4" drive SAE socket set recently. I was really surprised. I have a couple other "New Britain" sets that are about the same vintage, but they use part numbers like NM606, NM607, NM608, etc. This "None Better" set (also made by New Britain Machine of New Britain Connecticut) uses a completely different part number system: C1, C2, C3, etc. - very odd. Causes me to wonder if these might be older than I think they are. Also picked up a really nice early-production Wakefield 5-inch bicycle wrench stamped "Spalding", which I thought was rather interesting. I see lots of the "Indian Motocycles" models, but this is the only "Spalding" one I've ever seen. Go figure, huh?
None Better 600S 11-pc Midget 1/4" drive socket set - 1940 Janney Semple Hill & Co. catalog pp 3373 New Britain Machine, New Britain, Connecticut, USA made in USA
None Better 600S 11-pc Midget 1/4" drive socket set - 1940 Janney Semple Hill & Co. catalog pp 3373 New Britain Machine, New Britain, Connecticut, USA made in USA
J.E. Wakefield 5-1/2 in. cycle wrench 'Spalding' (pat. apl'd for)
J.E. Wakefield 5-1/2 in. cycle wrench 'Spalding' (pat. apl'd for)
* if anybody happens to have an extra 5/32" diameter cross-bar for that flex handle laying around, send it my way. wink.gif

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed May 09, 2018 8:52 am 
Ski wrote:
I cannot understand why, nor am I willing to accept, a degreed, credentialed employee of the National Park Service not understanding the meaning of the word or misusing it in the manner you've described above. You will note that in the second email I sent you I mentioned that I was so agitated by this I was unable to see straight.
How can that be so upsetting to you. I don't know if it is correct but JVesquire did offer an explanation of the use. People do make mistakes I have you have everyone does. Get over it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 09, 2018 12:17 pm 
Definitions of words in the English language are determined by lexicographers - those people who go to school and study language. It is not within the purview of employees of the National Park Service (or any other lands management agency, for that matter) to redefine standard terms in the English language, particularly when those words are included (with much deliberation) in the texts of federal legislation. The Wilderness Act of 1964 (along with about a half a dozen other pieces of federal legislation) is one of the primary guiding documents for the National Park Service and the National Forest Service. It is therefore imperative that those drafting internal and publicly available management documents not attempt to redefine standard English words (or use them out of context) in those management documents.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm 
Federal agencies interpret words all the time. It's a fact of life that Congress isn't always clear and agencies have to use their expertise to understand what the intent of Congress was.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tuesday June 19, 2018 14:25 PDT Olympic National Park News Release National Park Service Releases Record of Decision for Mountain Goat Management Plan for Olympic National Park PORT ANGELES, Wash. - The National Park Service (NPS) has released its Record of Decision (ROD) for the Mountain Goat Management Plan/Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The selected action authorizes the park to proceed with this effort to relocate the majority of mountain goats to USDA Forest Service (USFS) lands in the North Cascades national forests and the lethal removal of the remaining mountain goats in the park. Approval of the ROD and EIS culminates an extensive public engagement and environmental impact analysis effort that began in 2014. “We are very pleased to collaborate with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and U.S. Forest Service to relocate mountain goats from the Olympic Peninsula,” said Superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. “In turn, we support the state, the U.S. Forest Service, and area tribes to re-establish sustainable populations of goats in the Washington Cascades, where goats are native, and populations have been depleted.” A 2016 population survey of mountain goats in the Olympic Mountains showed that the population increased an average of eight percent annually from 2004 to 2016. It has more than doubled since 2004 to about 625. The population is expected to grow by another 100 this year. By 2023, the population could be nearly 1,000 goats. Mountain goats are native to the North Cascades Mountains but exist in low numbers in many areas. Both the USFS and the WDFW have long been interested in restoring mountain goats to these depleted areas. Public meetings to review the draft EIS (DEIS) were held in August 2017. Approximately 2,300 comments were received on the DEIS and were used to develop the final EIS, which includes modified versions of alternatives C and D (the preferred alternative), other minor revisions, and the agencies’ responses to public comments. The EIS was published on May 4, 2018. The NPS will now begin coordinating strategies and logistics for capture and relocation operations that will begin in summer 2018. The EIS, ROD, and other reference documents can be found on the NPS Planning Environment and Public Comment (PEPC) website at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/OLYMgoat. www.nps.gov

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 31, 2018 2:10 pm 
Tuesday July 31, 2018 12:59 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Mountain Goat Translocation Beginning in September for Two Week Period PORT ANGELES, Wash. – The first round of mountain goat capture and translocation will occur over a two-week period in September. Additional capture and translocation periods will occur in summer 2019. The staging area for capture activities this year will be located at Hurricane Ridge on Hurricane Hill Road. The capture activities are scheduled to occur September 10-21 and trail closures will be in effect for visitor and employee safety. Visitors to Hurricane Ridge during this timeframe can generally expect to have access to the trails near the Visitor Center including Cirque Rim, Big Meadow and High Ridge. Wolf Creek Trail, Cox Valley Trail and Obstruction Point Road and area trails will also remain open. Hurricane Hill Road, beyond the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center, will be closed to access past Picnic Area A beginning Wednesday, September 5. This closure includes the Hurricane Hill Trail which will remain inaccessible for the duration of the activities. The trail rehabilitation project work will resume after the end of the goat capture period. The trail is scheduled to reopen for use on a rotating basis September 26. Klahhane Ridge will be closed to access during helicopter operations in that area. Whenever possible, Klahhane Ridge Trail will be open for hiking. Due to weather constraints and the number of hours the helicopter pilot can fly in a day, whether or not the Klahhane Ridge Trail is open and at what time will vary daily. The population of goats on Klahhane Ridge is targeted as a top priority for capture and translocation in September due to heavy visitor use and frequent interactions with mountain goats in the area. “We understand that the trail closures which are necessary for visitor and employee safety will have an impact on visiting Hurricane Ridge this September,” said park superintendent Sarah Creachbaum. “We want to make sure the public is aware of these impacts in advance of their visit so they can plan ahead, know their options, and be prepared.” Additional trails that will remain closed for safety during the two-week period include the Lake Angeles, Heather Park, and Switchback trails. Little River Trail and the Elwha to Hurricane Hill Trail will be open but will not have through access to the Hurricane Hill area. A map of the trails and closure areas is available on the park website. The National Park Service released its Record of Decision (ROD) for the Mountain Goat Management Plan/Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) in late June. Until the United States Forest Service (USFS) signs its ROD, the mountain goat capture and translocation activities will not include USFS wilderness. For this reason, the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife (WDFW) will only translocate goats from the park to the non-wilderness release sites within the North Cascades national forests during this first round. While mountain goats are not native to the Olympic Peninsula, they are native to the North Cascades Mountains but exist in low numbers in many areas. Both the USFS and the WDFW have long been interested in restoring mountain goats to these depleted areas. The EIS, ROD, and other reference documents can be found on the NPS Planning Environment and Public Comment (PEPC) website at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/OLYMgoat. www.nps.gov