Forum Index > Trail Talk > How do you determine that you know enough to just go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri May 04, 2018 7:54 pm 
I've climbed 3 of the peaks out there (Rainier, Shuksan, Olympus), each under the guidance of someone who knows what they're doing: guides from IMG. I want to summit Baker soon, but don't want to have to meet a schedule, and then put out about $1K besides. The guide service from IMG has been well worth the money as I don't get time out west often enough to slowly, and carefully develop my own self assured glacier skills, nor do I have a hiking buddy who does also. But sooner or later I'm just going to have to go for it, and climb up until I get to where I want to go. So my question is, how have you judged that you were ready when you first climbed a significantly glaciated peak? I think that if I lived there, I'd just go week after week, advancing a little at a time until I made my goal(s). But I don't live there. I'm creeping up on 67, and there are at least 3 more (new) summits I want to accomplish while I still can. Thoughts, advice? Thanks all, in advance.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostFri May 04, 2018 10:09 pm 
Coming from out of state locks you into a date. Last two weeks in July give you the best probability of good weather and snow conditions. Pick your date/route and post the opportunity in the partner forum? If that doesn't work, PM and I'll introduce you to another who might be a good companion.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat May 05, 2018 3:51 am 
Huron wrote:
Coming from out of state locks you into a date. Last two weeks in July give you the best probability of good weather and snow conditions. Pick your date/route and post the opportunity in the partner forum? If that doesn't work, PM and I'll introduce you to another who might be a good companion.
Thank you. And as far as dates being locked in...yeah, somewhat. We usually go out to visit the kids/grandkids for 3,4,5 weeks at a time, but yeah, although it's always a "window of opportunity", it's typically a wide one. I've been reluctant to just post a partner request and go because I don't know their capability, and they don't know mine. And even though I've followed guides across a few glaciers, I don't believe that I have enough experience reading glacier conditions to feel capable in route finding up/across one by skill, not just blind luck. That and I'm not interested in summiting as fast as possible. I have time and like to look around, but I understand most folks have to be back to work at some point. And maybe I'm over-thinking this, and should just go. More and more I'm thinking that I'll just go and see what I see. If I get spooked, I'll stop and think about it a bit. I'm mindful of the stories two guys have related to me regarding unexpected drops through snow bridges, or sliding downhill into a crevasse, as well as various accounts that I've read. I have plenty of rock climbing partners here, but none that have the time/money/inclination to go out west and climb glaciated peaks. My son sees no reason any sane person would voluntarily go where there is snow ( lol.gif ), and my eldest grandson is quite willing but he's not ready yet. We're working on that - Mt Adams this summer is our plan, then..... I want to complete Adams, Baker and Glacier Peak before my knees tell me "that's enough"!

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostSat May 05, 2018 8:08 am 
What you need to know is crevasse routefinding and risk assesment, as well as rescue techniques. The best time to do Baker is late March through early May (now). Past mid may and bridges start failing more often and are harder to judge where they might be. Right now there is a well established boot path up the easton right to the top. Be careful though, just because it is established does not mean it is good. Last year going up the boot path I collapsed a weak bridge right in the middle of the path. I saw the sag and got lots of momentum that carried me across thankfully. There is a marathon first week of june that will establish a good path up the sauk, but even still this year that route is heavily crevassed

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 06, 2018 7:44 am 
n16ht5 wrote:
The best time to do Baker is late March through early May (now). Past mid may and bridges start failing more often and are harder to judge where they might be.
Rats! I don't expect to be out there until sometime in July, August. Maybe I'll just take a drive up to see what I see anyway. Thank you for the information, good for planning purposes.

gray matter

gray matter
PostSun May 06, 2018 9:39 am 
While this time of year may be the ideal time to climb Mt. Baker, it does not mean that the mountain cannot be climbed at other times of the year. A few years ago, we spent four wonderful days in July on the mountain practicing glacier travel techniques, crevasse rescue and self arrest. We successfully summited on that trip. Moonspots, your question is an excellent one that I've asked myself many times. In an effort to understand whether or not I am climbing within my abilities, I try to understand what would happen if things did not go well. So, let me lay out a scenario for you: You and your rope team of three are heading up the mountain. The leader is routefinding and you are in the middle of the rope when you hear your third partner yell 'falling!'. You feel a sharp tug on the rope that takes you off of your feet. Do you have the skills to stop this fall? Assuming that yes, you did in fact stop the fall, you find yourself now in arrest position on a glaciated slope, with a lot of weight on the rope. You can communicate with the lead climber but not the climber who has just fallen into a crevasse. What do you do?

cartman

cartman
PostSun May 06, 2018 11:24 am 
I took a class and went with more experienced partners until I felt comfortable being an equal partner to the experienced ones. Now I know enough to lead climbs. Moonspots, if you have two partners who are experienced, competent and safe and who know crevasse rescue, you would be fine as the middle man on the rope as long as you have good footwork and competent ice ax arrest skills.
n16ht5 wrote:
The best time to do Baker is late March through early May (now). Past mid may and bridges start failing more often and are harder to judge where they might be.
This is not correct. I've climbed Baker 6 times between May 1 and mid-July by four different routes, and also once in mid-September. Memorial Day thru mid-July is a great time to climb Baker, especially the Coleman/Deming, as snow still covers the crevasses and routefinding is usually easy, and the weather is better. The Easton Glacier since it is south facing will crevasse out sooner, but I did it in mid-July and routefinding around the crevasses was not difficult. Coleman/Deming is in through August and into September most years, though the snow bridges get more sketchy and the slopes more icy as the summer wanes. From March to early May avalanche danger is much higher and the weather is worse and more unpredictable.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm 
cartman wrote:
I took a class and went with more experienced partners until I felt comfortable being an equal partner to the experienced ones. Now I know enough to lead climbs. Moonspots, if you have two partners who are experienced, competent and safe and who know crevasse rescue, you would be fine as the middle man on the rope as long as you have good footwork and competent ice ax arrest skills.
n16ht5 wrote:
This is not correct. I've climbed Baker 6 times between May 1 and mid-July by four different routes, and also once in mid-September. Memorial Day thru mid-July is a great time to climb Baker, especially the Coleman/Deming, as snow still covers the crevasses and routefinding is usually easy, and the weather is better. The Easton Glacier since it is south facing will crevasse out sooner, but I did it in mid-July and routefinding around the crevasses was not difficult. Coleman/Deming is in through August and into September most years, though the snow bridges get more sketchy and the slopes more icy as the summer wanes. From March to early May avalanche danger is much higher and the weather is worse and more unpredictable.
I am not normally one who quotes an entire post nor one who claims " my experience is more reliable than yours" but in this case I side with Cartman. Pretty much everything he says here is accurate. The statement posted earlier by n16ht5 that the "best time to climb Baker is late March through early May" is arguable, if by "best" you want more reliable good climbing weather, firm, stable snowpack, and mostly detectable crevasses. If one is skiing, spring to early summer is perfect, especially if you can pick a good weather day or days, but if bare -booting, mid July through early or mid August is better. Surface conditions in late August and September are not so good on the Coleman-Deming due to more intricate meandering around crevasses, more exposed ice, and possible moats at a couple of places ( the Baker-Colfax saddle and at the top of the Deming Glacier). In recent decades the Easton and upper Squak have generally gotten out of condition ( translation: badly crevassed) by mid August. If you go, Moonspots, please don't do what is a becoming a much more frequently seen but in my opinion dangerous thing: climbing unroped. Also if you are on the Coleman ( my favorite route smile.gif ) hurry as you pass beneath the ice hanging on Colfax Peak. Never take a break in the fallout zone! All of my over 100 trips on Baker by five different routes have been successful ("success" = everyone returned safely). We have never had an accident or even a crevasse fall farther than hip-deep in. While roped with no excess slack that is no big deal. Unroped, or with lots of slack or lack of attention...a " no big deal" could spell tragedy. Btw, I have stood on Mt. Baker's summit 78 times, beginning in 1964, camped on top 5 times, and have more than 30 DNS on Baker climbs (" did not summit"). Of the latter, most frequently it has been very stormy weather in an early season climb. I have been stormed off frequently in May and June when we didn't have a flex schedule. Although storms can happen any time and above 8,000 feet are not to be trifled with, you have a better chance of "good" climbing weather on any random dates from mid July to late August ( but recall what was said here about late summer). However, climate is what we expect, weather is what we get. The worst accident in Baker's climbing history was the deadly avalanche onthe upper Deming onJuly 22, 1939 (6 college students were killed).. A heavy snowfall had occurred before the avalanche.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 06, 2018 4:00 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
If you go, Moonspots, please don't do what is a becoming a much more frequently seen but in my opinion dangerous thing: climbing unroped. Also if you are on the Coleman ( my favorite route smile.gif ) hurry as you pass beneath the ice hanging on Colfax Peak. Never take a break in the fallout zone!
Right, no unroped travel for me. Both of the guys who related their "falling into a crevasse" stories to me were traveling unroped. And I'm "aware of" the hazards associated with rockfall, etc above trail, but don't have any significant experience in this regard, other than following the guide (who was moving right along quickly as we crossed the Cowlitz glacier on Rainier). A few times on the mountains with experienced guides, and a crevasse school on Rainier a few years ago (which was informative, and fun) have given me a bit of understanding of what one needs to know, but I'm convinced that until I have to actually "do it", I won't "know it".
grey matter wrote:
Assuming that yes, you did in fact stop the fall, you find yourself now in arrest position on a glaciated slope, with a lot of weight on the rope. You can communicate with the lead climber but not the climber who has just fallen into a crevasse. What do you do?
And therein lies the crux of the question. Well, I know what to do....more or less. I think I could hold the 3rd until lead was able to establish a suitable anchor. But it's been a while (and only once) since I have had any practice building a pulley system with tiblocs, prussics, 'biners etc.. Again, not having had to actually do it "for real" causes me to believe that I'd still only be a mediocre "middle man" right now. Thank you all, as I do appreciate the thoughtful, experienced replies! up.gif

huron

huron
PostSun May 06, 2018 4:46 pm 
Alpenstock!

Mikey

Mikey
PostSun May 06, 2018 5:47 pm 
Moonspots. Perhaps you might consider climbing Mt Adams via the South route. There are no crevasses. The summit is 12,281 ft so it is a great higher altitude conditioner for climbing Mt Baker later. I have climbed Mt Baker by a couple of routes. On one of the Mt Baker climbs I led via the Coleman Glacier, one guy (a very experienced climber) fell into a crevasse on the Roman wall. The crevasse was covered with snow and all of a sudden he was gone with the climbing rope going down into a hole just big enough for him to fit through. Luckily he fell onto a ledge about 10 ft down in the crevasse and before we could get a crevasse rescue system set up, he was able to use his crampons to front point up and out of the crevasse (also used his ice ax as a hand tool which implies that there is a reason an ice ax has the wrist loop or lanyard on it).

gray matter

gray matter
PostSun May 06, 2018 6:11 pm 
This is a great discussion! Brushbuffalo, thanks for the insight and for sharing your wisdom. I like Mikey’s suggestion of tackling Mt Adams. Adams was my first big summit, and I will be the first to admit that I didn’t know what the heck I was doing. But, we got up and down without incident. On subsequent trips, I’ve learned a bit from success and much more from failure, and managed to keep myself out of serious trouble. I’ve also had some excellent teachers along the way. In my opinion, Mt. Baker is a pretty good place to learn and practice glacier travel because the trade routes are pretty mellow. I’d be down for setting up a weekend trip to go up to Baker to practice self rescue systems. If any of you are interested, send a reply or a PM. It can never hurt to get out and practice.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 07, 2018 2:28 am 
Mikey wrote:
Perhaps you might consider climbing Mt Adams via the South route.
Yes, indeed! That's on my agenda for this summer, with eldest grandson following. Actually, we started up there last September, but turned around at about 10K, we were tired of slogging through the soft snow. He said "grandpa, this isn't fun anymore" and I said (to myself) "I agree, I've been to the top of 3 big mountains, I don't really need to see the views from another". That, and Everybody's Brewery in Whitefish has some good beer and burgers! But I have a goal, and that's to complete Adams, Baker and Glacier Peak before I decide I have to leave the alpine hikes alone. After all these years, my knees are beginning to complain.
grey matter wrote:
In my opinion, Mt. Baker is a pretty good place to learn and practice glacier travel because the trade routes are pretty mellow. I’d be down for setting up a weekend trip to go up to Baker to practice self rescue systems. If any of you are interested, send a reply or a PM. It can never hurt to get out and practice.
I am, that's a good idea.

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 08, 2018 10:22 am 
I do not get out on glaciers as much as I used to so training is important. I always plan an extra day for two reasons. 1. Acclimate to the elevation a lot better. 2. Spend a day exploring the depths of crevasses.

"May you live in interesting times"
christensent

christensent
PostTue May 08, 2018 8:36 pm 
The way I look at it is if you're in a position where you feel you could effortlessly teach a friend a skill without researching it the day before and feel like you're doing it responsibly and not overstepping your qualifications to teach someone safety-critical information, then you're ready to be the most experienced person in a group using that skill. Otherwise, someone should be in the group that is more experienced and can guide you (be it a friend or a formal guide situation). This doesn't mean you need to be at the level of a professional guide, just that you should be extremely proficient in the skill to the extent that you trust someone else's life in your skill set. In my opinion, most people would probably be at an appropriate level if they've gone through 3 guided trips and truly applied themselves during the experience rather than doing the bare minimum and blindly walking up the mountain behind the guide. Many people may get there on the rope skills after even one trip if they already have a lot of mountaineering and snow experience (honestly the snow/mountain skills is the harder part - the rope skills can be learned on youtube in your living room. Not necessarily the best way to do it, but it's simply a method of tying knots and setting up systems that doesn't require analyzing nature, weather, snow crystals, snow bridges, etc. which is a really hard skill that just about takes a lifetime to really master)

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat