Forum Index > Gear Talk > Schoeller Nanosphere Vs Pertex Endurance
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed May 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
So I am soon to finish up my father's estate which will mean I have a small, but significant for me, inheritance. I plan to help some people with money for college, do some major projects for the house, save some money, and with what is left over buy a few pieces of otherwise out-of-my-price-range gear. I am looking at Feathered friends sleeping bags, the Flicker in particular. It comes in two versions, Nano and UL. The Nano uses Schoeller Nanosphere 20D shell fabric and the UL uses Pertex Endurance 10D shell fabric. The Nano has 900 fill down and the UL uses 950 fill down. The overall weight difference between the two is about 2 ounces, which is not a deal breaker either way for me. And because this is a treat for me from my father's estate, the cost difference of $30 is not a deal breaker as well. Having said that, I would like to get the lighter one as well as get the less expensive one, two irreconcilable alternatives. hahaha Anyway, I have TWO major concerns about the UL version. The FIRST being the duability of the 10D fabric. I had a down poofy with 10D shell and was not impressed. Then again it was an outer garment that took a bit of wear and tear as opposed to a sleeping bag/quilt which ostensibly should not be subject to that degree of abuse. The SECOND concern is the durability of the water resistance of each. My understanding is that the Schoeller Nanoshere water resistance is pretty much life long and not subject to the DWR wearing out. Am I also correct that the Pertex Endurance water resistance relies on the DWR? I currently primarily use an very good but old Moonstone down bag that gets wet from dew and such. This is why I am looking at the FF offerings in Schoeller Nanosphere and Pertex Endurance. Any experience with either fabric and denier is welcome. Also any experience with the Flicker in general is welcome. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu May 10, 2018 9:55 am 
The Pertex Endurance is a pretty common fabric. It repels water droplets, and is somewhat wind proof. It does allow water vapor to pass. It simply has a very tight standard weave. I have two coats with this, and think it's a relative good choice. Schoeller Nanosphere is a unusually woven fabric that is intended to prevent water droplets and other dirt/stains/food from adhering to it. It is washabable (not really something you would do a lot to a sleeping bag.) Doesn't seem to be a very commonly used material yet. I'm of the general opionion that any down rated over 850 is pretty good stuff. You get a very good weight to warmth ratio, and very good packability. The grading of down feathers bethween 900 and 950 fill grades must be of very little real world differance. If you cowboy camp, or use a tarp the reported Nanosphere properties might be a good choice to keep the bag cleaner. In a tent either one seems like it would be fine. Feathered Friends has a great repuation, I'd love to pickup one of their bags sometime.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu May 10, 2018 12:14 pm 
I love my FF swallow. I could possible go decades without buying another bag, but I went with a 20 which is kind of hot in summer. Thinking about getting a quilt... anyhow FF makes great stuff! Have you emailed them directly with these questions? I'm sure they could give you the info you desire "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak, help make your decision easier... What ever you end up getting, I'm sure you'll love it!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri May 11, 2018 7:46 am 
I custom spec'd my most recent FF bag with a Pertex Shield EX waterproof/breatheable outer shell. FF uses Shield EX for its stock winter and expedition bags. (I custom spec'd my older FF bags with eVent outer shells; FF replaced eVent with Shield EX.) I highly recommend it. It'll keep the down dry if it brushes up against a damp tent wall, and you can sleep outside without a bivi bag on an overnight (or possibly longer if the sun comes out to dry the bag). It's great for single wall tents, 'mids and sleeping under a tarp. A FF Flicker with Shield EX outer shell would be a very nice PNW bag. I have something somewhat similar, a DIY quilt I made from a custom spec'd FF Vireo w/ eVent shell (and cut a bit wider per my spec) that I split down the middle to make a quilt. The difference: my DIY quilt lacks a zipper. Dunno how big you are, but consider getting the wide or extra wide Flicker. You can try them out in the store.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri May 11, 2018 11:37 am 
This is all good information to know. I will look into the Pertex Shield EX. That looks like it might be the way for me to go. I like to cowboy camp when the bugs are gone. The condensation as well as brushing up on tent walls is the main issue for me. My recent week out in April had my old Moonstone getting damp and losing loft because of that. No chance to get the bag dry at that time of year. I never got cold, but I had relatively warm nights. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri May 11, 2018 1:54 pm 
You sound like an apt candidate for Shield EX outer shell. The ability to custom order is one of the nice things about dealing with FF. They are good people. I usually deal with Todd re custom orders. I'm not aware of any other sleeping quilt manufacturers offering a waterproof/breatheable outer shell option. I don't get it. Many quilt users use single wall tents, 'mids and/or tarps, and/or want the option to sleep under the stars in good weather but want to avoid the weight of a bivi sack. A WPB outer shell is perfect for such all of the above. A tip: Ask for black outer and outer shell or, if not black, the darkest available color. It speeds drying in the sun.