Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Twin Peaks Traverse (Wenatchee)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 14, 2018 6:59 am 
Location : Wenatchee, Wa. Map : GTM - Mission Ridge / Wenatchee Car to Car logistics : Park one car below Castle Rock at the TH and a second at Horse Lake Reserve. Stats : 16 mi, 5200' no water along the way late Spring during peak wildflower times.
If you like exercise, mountain views, and wildflowers this is one of the day hikes in the Wenatchee area for you. 16 miles, 5200' of gain.
If you like exercise, mountain views, and wildflowers this is one of the day hikes in the Wenatchee area for you. 16 miles, 5200' of gain.
This has to be one of the premier longer distance thruhikes in the area if you are looking for exercise, mountain views, and wildflower immersion. There are many variations of this trip easier done if coming from the North and shorter loop options. I have done this trip in many forms with quite a few nwhikers members over the years and I will miss it and all it's experiences when it becomes to much for me to handle. Steve and I started out under blue skies and lower 50's from the Castle Rock TH the sun all ready shining most of the early wildflowers have all ready come and gone at the lower elevations (TH around 900') I packed 2.5 L of water in my hydration bladder hoping to get some snow to melt North of the peaks as you descend into the saddle but other than that there is no water on this ridge route. We gained about 25% of our elevation very quickly on the way up to Chopper peak and proceeded on the up and down, left and right ridge hitting a threshold of continuous Balsam Root around 2600', much of the Lupine has yet to bloom, and eventually we were just walking through Balsam Root on the ridge and plateau all the way to Twin Peaks South summit. We saw one rattle snake early and that was it surprisingly. Lunch and rest on the South summit after 7 miles, 4700' in the sun. I sucked down over 1.5 L of water so I was hoping for some snow with 9 miles left to go. The views West were great and we saw no one until we approached the North summit and they were gone by the time we arrived. We took some pics from that open area then headed down towards Horsel Lake Reserve and disappointedly there was no snow at the saddle, but after quite a few miles we found an old spring with clear water coming out of the hill side and filled up on that it looks like it flowed from there into an old boiler tank as a reservoir then down into what is known as Horse lake. Nice find ! We both refilled our water and hiked on through the Glacier View trail then back East and out. Great hike.
Chopper and Castle Rock.
Chopper and Castle Rock.
Grinding up to Chopper from Castle Rock.
Grinding up to Chopper from Castle Rock.
All most to Chopper Peak.
All most to Chopper Peak.
Steve's Sound of Music moment :)
Steve's Sound of Music moment wink.gif
On Chopper Ridge we had a variety of wildflowers but didn't hit the Balsam Root until 2600'. We had hop looking at the yellow swathe on Twin Peaks to the right.
On Chopper Ridge we had a variety of wildflowers but didn't hit the Balsam Root until 2600'. We had hop looking at the yellow swathe on Twin Peaks to the right.
Looking back at Chopper Peak in the distance.
Looking back at Chopper Peak in the distance.
Mission in transition.
Mission in transition.
Chopper Ridge left and #2 Canyon below, also Saddle Rocks West ridge and Pitcher Mountain across the canyon.
Chopper Ridge left and #2 Canyon below, also Saddle Rocks West ridge and Pitcher Mountain across the canyon.
Walking through wildflowers on Chopper Ridge.
Walking through wildflowers on Chopper Ridge.
Always like this view of Miller going up the steep slope to Twin Peaks South summit.
Always like this view of Miller going up the steep slope to Twin Peaks South summit.
Rainier
Rainier
Approaching the East summit.
Approaching the East summit.
Lower Chopper Ridge climbs out of Wenatchee below Castle Rock and chops Westward.
Lower Chopper Ridge climbs out of Wenatchee below Castle Rock and chops Westward.
Upper Chopper Ridge leading to Twin Peaks.
Upper Chopper Ridge leading to Twin Peaks.
Steve on the East summit.
Steve on the East summit.
Twin Peaks South or West summit from it's slightly lower North or East summit and alot of riff raff in the background to the West.
Twin Peaks South or West summit from it's slightly lower North or East summit and alot of riff raff in the background to the West.
At a certain point it was all just overwhelming.
At a certain point it was all just overwhelming.
Nice ahgle on Glacier Peak !
Nice ahgle on Glacier Peak !
Sagebrush and Lupine
Sagebrush and Lupine

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 14, 2018 7:13 pm 
Nice going you guys. up.gif

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon May 14, 2018 8:06 pm 
Are you holding out on the fishing report at esroh ekal ? 🐟

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm 
Leafguy wrote:
Are you holding out on the fishing report at esroh ekal ? 🐟
Whatever is in that slurry better grow legs and walk it is evaporating fast.👣👣👣👣👣👣

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 15, 2018 8:13 am 
Getting hot in those hills. Looks like changes in latitude, attitude, and altitude are in order for you guys. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 16, 2018 7:52 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Getting hot in those hills. Looks like changes in latitude, attitude, and altitude are in order for you guys. cool.gif
90’s now time for the migration North.☝️