Forum Index > Food & Grub > A Cheese Primer
Previous :: Next Topic  
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu May 10, 2018 10:37 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Here is a good piece on choosing cheese to take backpacking.

I love cheese on the trail for everything from dayhikes to week= long adventures. It offers a good balance of fat and protein as well as good source of vitamins and minerals.

My favorite cheese to take is Dubliner. I usually slice it and separate the slices with wax paper. I try to have at least one ounce of cheese each day while on trail.

What's your favorite cheese for the trail?

Rumi~the cheesy~Dude

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 10, 2018 10:43 am 
I love cheese on the trail too. I'm always worried about it going bad in warm weather though. Harder cheese like aged Gouda, Parmigiano Reggiano are my trail choices for that reason.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek
PostThu May 10, 2018 4:59 pm 
I have a thing for Manchego.  Doesn't crumble, good flavor but not too intense.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm 
+ 1 on Manchego.
I also like well aged Gouda and Gruyere with the little crunchy crystallized bits

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
contour5

contour5
PostFri May 11, 2018 7:48 pm 
Cheese is good fuel. I like all but the stinkiest of cheeses. My usual routine involves a package of sandwich thins, half a pound of sliced cheese product and a small squeezy bottle of dijonaise. I manufacture my sandwiches right at the TH prior to setting out. I usually consume all eight sandwiches the first day; sometimes there are enough left over for dinner the first night. I actually find the resulting flatulence deeply satisfying.
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat May 12, 2018 10:31 am 
contour5 wrote:
I actually find the resulting flatulence deeply satisfying.

--------------
~Mom jeans on wheels
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun May 13, 2018 11:26 pm 
FDA SchmefDA - what a bunch of wussies!  Like anything two hours outside of a refrigerator is really festering with Bubonic plague?

Hard goat cheese and landjaegers can handle several days in a hot summer backpack.

--------------
"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little."    - Harvey Manning
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:32 am 
What my mother did for 6-week horse packing trips:

The cheese (hard!) should be well-wrapped in cheesecloth and only then in plastic.  Slice as you go, so that less of the surface is exposed.  The main thing is to keep the surface dry, which explains the cheesecloth.  Any mold that develops should be trimmed off frequently.

She would cut a 5 lb. block of cheese in 3 parts--one started the trip with us, the second sat in a post office for 2 weeks with our first resupply; the third sat in a post office for 4 weeks with our second resupply.  (This was for a party of three people; the horses weren't interested in cheese.)

There was never any problem with spoilage.

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm 
I love cheese, too!  My favorites are Asiago and goat cheese which spreads nicely on crackers.  I have started picking up the parmesan cheese "Whisps" at Costco, too. Costco, also, has a bacon cheese crisp (cracker thing) that is delicious with just cheese and bacon.  Don't judge...  smile.gif

--------------
You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Blowdown
Clearing Trails

Blowdown
Clearing Trails
PostMon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm 
For multi-day WTA trail crew trips, my go-to cheese for the first two days is a bleu. With Triscuits, man, that is so good I almost fall off the log! Then asagio or parmesan for the final two days. Mmm-mm!  chow.gif
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 14, 2018 11:16 pm 
IanB wrote:
Like anything two hours outside of a refrigerator is really festering with Bubonic plague?

Actually the plague is spread by a bacterium usually spread by a flea or rodent bite.

IanB wrote:
landjaegers can handle several days in a hot summer backpack.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just sayin' ...

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 14, 2018 11:31 pm 
Snuffy wrote:
I have started picking up the parmesan cheese "Whisps" at Costco, too.

Those are great! It is one of those things you can have almost any time to add some protein, which is sometimes difficult when backpacking. I have a small handful as part of my breakfast.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
JohnBelly
New Hiker

JohnBelly
New Hiker
PostThu May 17, 2018 5:09 am 
Great Article I'm pretty new Hiker and haven't tried it yet going to do it soon biggrin.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon May 21, 2018 8:53 am 
I like the hard cheeses also. My favorite is Reggianito, which isn't as salty as Reggiano and actually a bit cheaper.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm 
Adding to this, Costco has a great selection of cheese and very good prices. I am currently enjoying some smoked Gouda ($5.70/lb) I picked up Sunday.

Rumi

--------------
Valhalla Outdoors
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > A Cheese Primer
  Happy Birthday Timbertoes, cascadetraverser, Leopold!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: