Forum Index > Trail Talk > The dog poop bag fairy DOES exist!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon May 14, 2018 3:43 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I scooped my dog's poopage into a bag and set it behind a tree where I left it to be picked up by me on my way back. That's what I do. On my return, I found the bag in the middle of the trail. I picked it up and packed it out as planned. I don't know how it got into the trail.
With so many poop bags, how do you know which one is yours? Most probably don't... so same as Kim Brown, I always grab the bags from where the poop-owner thought was creative placement of said bag, and toss that sh!t right back into the middle of the trail (you're not fooling anyone, we all see it) - so as to insure they recognize & remember their bag, with a little side of embarrassment hopefully. When we are done with our Cliff-Bars should we just leave the wrapper on the side of the trail and pick it up on the way out? - guess we should - seem's fair PS: RolyPoly you rock - thank you from everyone.

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon May 14, 2018 5:02 pm 
Those pistachio shells are just as good as flagging or cairns.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
pula58

pula58
PostMon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm 
Leave no trace. Don't leave your trace to pick it up later. Thank you.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue May 15, 2018 5:22 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
And pick up the poop. up.gif
I'm solidly (no pun intended) with Kim on this one. Alpine hikers carry it with them 100%...(well, are SUPPOSED to anyway). So dog owners can also. Double-bag it and "carry on". And, I'm hoping that whenever everyone who is interested has had the opportunity to voice their opinions, this thread turns out to be just that, a forum for opinions and discussion, and doesn't degrade into squabbling behind anonymous avatars.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
bwalt822

bwalt822
PostTue May 15, 2018 12:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I do carry it on the way back. I'm not hiking on a jam packed Pungent Sound trail. It hurts nothing to stash it and pick it up on the return. Wasn't in wilderness either. Use common sense instead of being so darn righteous. Nothing is hurt. It's not like I'm demanding that a parking lot be enlarged!
Common sense and courtesy says not to leave your trash laying around for when its convenient to you to pick up. But I'm sure your the perfect dog owner that's never forgotten a sh## bag before so its ok for you.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostTue May 15, 2018 12:47 pm 
You've got two choices when you see garbage on the trail: Take It or Leave It! That includes dog poo bags. Yesterday, I hiked the North Shore Trail along Lake Whatcom and picked up 4 beer cans, 2 bags of dog poo, a large adult sock, and a VERY large used menstrual pad neatly rolled up. You might be grossed out by the menstrual pad. I was not. I simply picked it up in one of my dog poo pags and hauled it out. What does piss me off is when someone flings dog poo bags off the trail because they can't stand the sight of them. WTF? If you don't like garbage on the trail, you have two choices: Take It or Leave It! If you fling garbage off the trail, it only makes things worse. Worse for the environment and worse for people like me who actually pick that sh## up. And please stop trying to blame other user groups for garbage. I find and haul out garbage from trail runners (lots of tabs from GU's and gels), mountain bikers (pedal reflectors and various bike parts), and a wide variety of granola bar wrappers, beer cans, water bottles, etc. from bipedal types. It makes no difference who left the litter there. It's there, so Take It or Leave It! And, no, you don't get credit for putting out a sign that says, "Gee! Some horrible person left this garbage, but I can't pack it out. Could you please do it for me?" That is pure f'in BS!!!! Take it or Leave It, that is your choice. No one is going to give you a hard time if you don't want to pick up other people's garbage. But please don't make matters worse by flinging it off the trail. And finally, please remember that hollow logs and stumps are NOT "Nature's garbage cans!" I can't tell you how often I have to clean them out from folks who just can't stand to look at garbage but can't be bothered to haul it out. Okay. End of rant. You know what you have to do.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm 
We leave far more durable destructive traces than litter. Stone fire rings at 7000'? Stone windscreens? Cairns? Campsite furniture? Ax and saw marks? If I so much as move a rock to anchor my tent, and don't put it back where Nature left it, that will stand out like a sore thumb to the observant eye. Even footprints are objectionable in especially fragile areas. Here's what to do with dog ship: gather up those little bags and dump them in a big pile right in the middle of the path at the trailhad. Maybe that will get their attention. It's a good thing my siht don't stink...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm 
Some idiot spit sunflower seeds all the way from Lake Elan up to the Summit of Vesper. I really hope he gets a bad ear infection, that causes him mild to moderate discomfort, for several weeks.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:52 pm 
Dang, I saw the topic title and thought "Hey, if I put dog poop under my pillow it will be gone in the morning and a quarter will be left behind" But I was wrong. Yeah, pick up your dog poop. Don't leave it along the trail somewhere where you SAY you will pick it up on the way out. That is a load of crap if I ever heard one. At least bury it for Pete's sake. I was in the Anaconda Pintler wilderness last week and kept stepping in dog $hit around the only camps available at Johnson Lake. There was so much hidden in tall grass that I had to mark a path with little sticks through it to the lake so I knew where to step...f-ing slobs. I have, on occasion, picked up bags of poop but I'll be damned if I am going to play poop fairy everytime some slob of a dog owner leaves their dog's crap in a bag next to, or on, a trail.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.